TEAM TEKIN 2014 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 5-7TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Re: TEAM TEKIN 2014 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 5-7TH

Post by pumpkinfish »

When/where can see the photos the guy took during the quals?

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Kaiser, that Heavy Metal main was hilarious! The announcer was right when he said it was a "race of attrition".
Erich, I think you said you donated the Hitec X1 door prize charger? Thanks! It's really nice, I'm going to sell my old one.
I had a great weekend and meeting Brian Kinwald was really cool.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

results are posted, but i can't seem to get the pdf to load here.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/389854-wolcott-hobby-raceway-227.html#post13523515

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

85Edinger wrote:Kaiser, that Heavy Metal main was hilarious! The announcer was right when he said it was a "race of attrition".
Erich, I think you said you donated the Hitec X1 door prize charger? Thanks! It's really nice, I'm going to sell my old one.
I had a great weekend and meeting Brian Kinwald was really cool.
I couldn't agree more! Kaiser's clod and the heavy metal class in general was the most entertaining thing to watch all weekend. Now I'm tempted to run my TXT-1 next year! :lol:

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Thank you Erich for once again putting on a truly memorable event! Thanks to all of the race sponsors who recognize the importance of their roots. Without their help, it wouldn't be as good as it is. To all of my good friends that I see every year, it was great to hang out with you once again! To all of my fellow racers who couldn't make it this year, you were missed, and you missed out on a good one. Lester and his crew at Wolcott Raceway did an awesome job on the track and have an excellent racing facility.

I have attended the VONATS every year since its inception. It is THE race I look forward to every year and it never disappoints. The memories I carry with me are well worth the cost and effort it takes to make the trip..

See y'all again next year!

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Brandon G wrote:Thank you Erich for once again putting on a truly memorable event! Thanks to all of the race sponsors who recognize the importance of their roots. Without their help, it wouldn't be as good as it is. To all of my good friends that I see every year, it was great to hang out with you once again! To all of my fellow racers who couldn't make it this year, you were missed, and you missed out on a good one. Lester and his crew at Wolcott Raceway did an awesome job on the track and have an excellent racing facility.

I have attended the VONATS every year since its inception. It is THE race I look forward to every year and it never disappoints. The memories I carry with me are well worth the cost and effort it takes to make the trip..

See y'all again next year!
Couldn't agree more! Top notch facility, event and great experience for a first-timer like myself. I'm already addicted to this race despite a frustrating weekend of racing for me. Can't wait for next year. It was great meeting all you guys for the first time as well. Brandon, thanks for the help this weekend. You and Matt really did well so congrats. Please check out the YZ-10 in my Tamiyaclub showroom and let me know if you think it's a worthy candidate to build up for the 4WD class next year. I'm itching to bring something that'll actually finish a race without breaking. :roll: :)

covell2
Approved Member

Post by covell2 »

I second Brandon's comments, awesome race, great facility and an all around good time. Absolutely look forward to this race next year and hope we can make it again. Thanks again Erich and the Wolcott hobby crew for a great race!

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Ditto. It was great seeing you again, Brandon. I'll have to practice my POV driving for next year ;)

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

R/cat, I would suggest to keep that YZ10 in good condition by going after a different project. The YZ10 has its place in history, no doubt, but it will not be the easiest thing to drive. Find a used XX4 and build it as per Mark Westerfield's setup sheet. While it is not the most durable 4wd buggy, it is as durable as any other VINTAGE 4wd out there. Mark's car was dialed and very easy to drive fast. I picked up a XX4 last night on the bay for $110 shipped (thanks ultrahive).
Parts can still be found fairly easily for the XX4 so spares can be acquired.
If you want a copy of the setup sheet, pm me your email and I will send it to you.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

stickboy007 wrote:Ditto. It was great seeing you again, Brandon. I'll have to practice my POV driving for next year ;)
Good to see you too Reinaldo. Still chuckling over the filet o fish comment......

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

Brandon G wrote:...If you want a copy of the setup sheet...
I'll be posting the setup sheet online with pictures of the car and details on how I made mine more durable in a day or two...

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Brandon G wrote:
stickboy007 wrote:Ditto. It was great seeing you again, Brandon. I'll have to practice my POV driving for next year ;)
Good to see you too Reinaldo. Still chuckling over the filet o fish comment......
There's plenty more where that came from, Brandon ;)

R/Cat, I've been running a YZ10 at VONATS for the past 2 years. I love them to bits and they're great to drive, but Brandon is right that they are not that easy to drive, at least under certain conditions. It's not due to anything crazy like suspension geometry, steering geometry, or weight distribution. It's simply that the center pulley is a full one-way and there is no easy way to lock it down or even make it variable. Not a problem if the track is high grip...actually a benefit...but this track is not super grippy and you will struggle with a one way. On the contrary, I've practiced several times with a YZ10 at RCHR, which uses different dirt and different conditioning. It's grippier and my YZ10 flies around there. So it really depends on the track. Brian Scotti had mentioned to me that there is a YR4 layshaft with a pin hole in the middle for locking down the center pulley, but they are not easy to find. If you have access to a machine shop, you may consider drilling such a hole into a YZ10 layshaft. There may be another way to lock it down that I just thought of, but I have to test it out first.

Brandon and Erich had a Lazer ZX and it was very hard to keep up with them (I believe at least Brandon had the center pulley in his Lazer locked down) as a result of this. A CAT2000 would have fared a little better, since it at least has the option for a clicker pulley (non-adjustable, but basically a partial one-way), but the Lazer would probably be the best non-XX4 car to run at a track like Wolcott, at least until I figure out a trick for the YZ10 center pulley. Regardless, Mark still kicked all of our butts with his XX4, but he is also an extremely good driver and could probably have done just as well with a Lazer.

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

My xx4 was bought off eBay and rebuilt before the race. The only thing I broke all weekend was a front shock tower hitting the wall in practice. I think the car is plenty durable! Can't wait to see what Mark did to make it more durable. Just a tip to you guys that are just picking them up. Order the tough racing belts now because they ship from Korea and take a long time on a slow boat to make it to your front door. I bought a few new old stock belts and they were soft and gummy. No way you want to run those and ruin your pullies.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Brandon G wrote:R/cat, I would suggest to keep that YZ10 in good condition by going after a different project. The YZ10 has its place in history, no doubt, but it will not be the easiest thing to drive. Find a used XX4 and build it as per Mark Westerfield's setup sheet. While it is not the most durable 4wd buggy, it is as durable as any other VINTAGE 4wd out there. Mark's car was dialed and very easy to drive fast. I picked up a XX4 last night on the bay for $110 shipped (thanks ultrahive).
Parts can still be found fairly easily for the XX4 so spares can be acquired.
If you want a copy of the setup sheet, pm me your email and I will send it to you.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'd rather do that than bang up my YZ-10 racing so the XX-4 makes sense. Do I go with an original XX-4 or the World's edition? I saw both on Ebay. Are you abandoning the Lazer for an XX-4?

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

stickboy007 wrote:
Brandon G wrote:
There's plenty more where that came from, Brandon ;)

R/Cat, I've been running a YZ10 at VONATS for the past 2 years. I love them to bits and they're great to drive, but Brandon is right that they are not that easy to drive, at least under certain conditions. It's not due to anything crazy like suspension geometry, steering geometry, or weight distribution. It's simply that the center pulley is a full one-way and there is no easy way to lock it down or even make it variable. Not a problem if the track is high grip...actually a benefit...but this track is not super grippy and you will struggle with a one way. On the contrary, I've practiced several times with a YZ10 at RCHR, which uses different dirt and different conditioning. It's grippier and my YZ10 flies around there. So it really depends on the track. Brian Scotti had mentioned to me that there is a YR4 layshaft with a pin hole in the middle for locking down the center pulley, but they are not easy to find. If you have access to a machine shop, you may consider drilling such a hole into a YZ10 layshaft. There may be another way to lock it down that I just thought of, but I have to test it out first.

Brandon and Erich had a Lazer ZX and it was very hard to keep up with them (I believe at least Brandon had the center pulley in his Lazer locked down) as a result of this. A CAT2000 would have fared a little better, since it at least has the option for a clicker pulley (non-adjustable, but basically a partial one-way), but the Lazer would probably be the best non-XX4 car to run at a track like Wolcott, at least until I figure out a trick for the YZ10 center pulley. Regardless, Mark still kicked all of our butts with his XX4, but he is also an extremely good driver and could probably have done just as well with a Lazer.
Great info, thanks. I'm going to keep my eyes open for an XX-4 to pick up and build. What brand of 17.5 brushless motors are most guys running? Trinity, Novak, etc??