Hello from Dorset/Wiltshire UK

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.
Nobby Sideways
Approved Member

Hello from Dorset/Wiltshire UK

Post by Nobby Sideways »

Hi there, just introducing myself. Background to my RC10 ownership: Never been a racer, probably never will be.

I got my RC10 Team Edition from a guy I went to school with. He raced it, and then sold it to me. It was pretty tired and beat up when I got it, I guess around 1994. I would have been 13, 14 years old. I used to run it up and down the street. I loved it, tatty as it was.

My buddy (who was a bit of a tool) asked for a go. 30 seconds later it had hit a kerb flat out (which wasn't that quick, admittedly) and smashed the front shock tower. As a 13 year old kid in England without access to the internet or connections with the racing guys, my chances of fixing it were nil. It was cannibalized for spares and put in my dads attic.

Fast forward to last year, I've got kids of my own who are interested in bashing with RC cars. A Tamiya DT-02 each (and a DT-03 for Dad...) and we are all happily bashing around on the grass near my house, setting up little races round mini cones and stuff. Really happy. My Dad sees all this and finds out my old RC10 from the loft; I thought it was long lost. It's looking really, really sad.

A few days later I've stripped it down. I've worked out what it is (Team edition), that pretty much every thread is stripped, and the nose is bent. It's not rare, its not original, so I've decided to do a rebuild to a basher spec. I've straightened and repaired what I can, and new parts where needed are on their way. I have no doubt that once it is back to fully running condition some further parts will be replaced and repaired (I've already been delighted to discover some animal has glued the diff together and lost all the diff balls, as well as half the balls from the ball race under the slipper clutch adjuster nut). It will never be pretty, especially with my shell painting skills, but it is an enjoyable project which myself and my kids are having a lot of fun with. I'm really loving seeing it coming together and getting a second chance. This forum seems really useful, I've been reading for the last couple of days and figured I should register to thank people for the shared knowledge.

Thanks everyone, I hope I can contribute and don't ask too daft questions. I also apologize that mine is such a shabby bashed up but much loved junker...

Nobby Sideways
Approved Member

Re: Hello from Dorset/Wiltshire UK

Post by Nobby Sideways »

I've included a picture of it as found (no body shell, broken parts...), and a picture of how she is at the moment (fresh shell and awaiting spares). As you can see my painting is passable at best.
Attachments
aab.jpg
aaa.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Hello and welcome. Cool story on your RC10 and enjoying the hobby with your kids. I look forward to seeing and reading updates regarding the old RC10.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Nobby Sideways
Approved Member

Post by Nobby Sideways »

RC10th wrote:Hello and welcome. Cool story on your RC10 and enjoying the hobby with your kids. I look forward to seeing and reading updates regarding the old RC10.
I doubt I'll update much; she isn't very interesting (in fact just to get her running its got a stock 540 in it... she isn't going to be nippy...) and my mods may risk offending people! For example the red nose is purely because I had red paint spare in the garage but no black! :lol:

Thanks for the welcome