Hi from NZ

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Louie

Hi from NZ

Post by Louie »

Hi everyone. Been lurking this forum for a few weeks and thought I'd say hello

I'm from Auckland, New Zealand and just recently got back into RC racing after a 20 year break. Bought a used AE B4.2FT that I tested the waters racing indoor carpet. Fully hooked again! Bought a Yokomo BMAX4III and an AE TC6 too.

However being very nostalgic I held on to my old Losi Xxt-cr that I bought new of the shelf in '96. Had a broken chassis and bulkhead at the front hinge and searching for parts is how I found this forum. Used to break these parts frequently back in the day when the bulkhead cost about $4US HAHA! Melted my fair share of diff gears too as I didn't know how to care for them when I was a kid :?

Saw some of the xxt builds on this forum which just blew my mind!! Total works of art. All inspired I decided to tear down my truck and rebuild properly. In no hurry as will just be a shelfie. Have picked up heaps of tips from you guys already like polishing hinge pins in a drill... Wife is complaining already with late night droning from the electric drill echoing through the house haha

Truck is pretty stock and in OK condition (apart from broken chassis and bulkhead) with a few upgrades
MIP shiny CVDs
MIP lite outdrives
Alloy diff nut - think it was MIP??
HG Ti top shaft
Ti nitride rear shock shafts

Anyway I look forward to following the builds on here and will likely be bombarding everyone with questions ! :D

Cheers
Steve

DaveM
Approved Member

Re: Hi from NZ

Post by DaveM »

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the madness! :lol:

Joking aside,

Love to see some pics of your truck.

Cheers, Dave. :)

Louie

Post by Louie »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome!
I should've taken some photos before I started taking it apart..Its fully disassembled at the moment.
Took some photos but can't seem to figure out how to add an image from my Mac?? will keep trying...

I would love to try source the super rare upgrades and replace all parts as brand new, however I'm just gonna put it back together with a new chassis (have one coming from UK ), new bulkhead, and clean and polish as much as possible. I will try source parts a piece at a time as funds permit and hopefully get it up to the standard of some of the other resto's here. Keen to learn all I can from the knowledgable guys here with tips and where to get hold of parts!

Cheers!

Louie

Post by Louie »

This is the current state of my truck. Definitely a few parts on my wish list. Ti turnbuckles, ball cups and ball joints to replace the rusty parts for a start...

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

Nice, definitely looks like a good truck to restore.

Cheers, Dave. :)

Louie

Post by Louie »

Cheers Dave!
Brings back so many memories pulling it apart. :D

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Welcome to the forum! It's true, there's just something about restoring & rebuilding a beloved old car, but being adults now and having learned skills we ignored when we were young, doing it the right way...and admiring the finished project. Looks like you have a good start so far, good luck on the rest!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Welcome!

NZ is beautiful! I hope to spend more time there some day, only spent a couple days there so far.

Louie

Post by Louie »

Thanks for welcome guys!
It's very satisfying building it properly the 2nd time around with the patience that comes with greying hair. I used to get so frustrated when I couldn't get it going right when I was younger - no Internet forums for help back then ! :lol:

And thanks New Zealand is a very beautiful place. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. I do so badly want to visit California. Seems it has a very healthy RC scene! :D