Hello from the Star City of the South. Roanoke, Va.

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

NokeRC10

Hello from the Star City of the South. Roanoke, Va.

Post by NokeRC10 »

New to RC10Talk, but not to RC10's, I'm a 39 year old guy who started out with a Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin and then on to an RC10CE when it came out way back when. This looked like a good place to gain some info on the new technology since my renewed interest in R/C has sprung up.

I haven't been involved in the R/C hobby probably since I turned 16, which was in 1993, so I know a lot has changed. A basement re-organizing caused my RC10 to surface and I decided to see about getting it going again. She had a broken left front A-arm for years,... and I refused to buy anything but the original white nylon arms like it came with. Only a handful of times over the last 20 or so years I had tried to find the original arms to no avail. But this time was different. I remembered the fun I used to have with this thing and attempting to find original equipment was not going to stop me from driving it again. I discovered that Associated re-released a couple of old models with a parts infrastructure to back it up, so I quickly purchased a set of new (albeit black) front A-arms and attempted to source a new battery pack since mine had long been deceased. Looks like everything is now LiPo or Nimh.... and I have no idea if that will work with my brushed motor and ESC. Off to Batteries Plus to find that they stock SUB-C size NiCd batteries in 2100mAh! Recalling they old days, you were lucky to get 1700mAh packs. So I gladly paid them $30 to assemble a pack for me and off I went to revive my beloved RC10.

The first 3 runs netted 3 problems. The end bell of the motor was apparently loose and came off. Luckily, nothing was lost, so I repaired that, and went back out.... to find that I had reversed polarity on the motor and I can't drive backwards. Back in the house to undo my mistake. This next run found another weak spot. the right rear upper ball joint pulled from the bulkhead. UGH! Come to find out BOTH sides were loose and it appears the holes are wallowed out and will not hold well in the future. Nevertheless, I made a repair and went at it again. A clean run! while cycling the energy out of my new pack, I discovered cracks in the front A-arm mount and the front shock ball mount.

It's sad, but I think it's time to retire my old RC10CE.

Here's a quick vid I made of my re-acquaintance with driving it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgcYSw6Qkag

Backstory on my car will be in the Gallery section soon.

marty slater
Approved Member

Re: Hello from the Star City of the South. Roanoke, Va.

Post by marty slater »

welcome aboard NokeRC10
defiantly not a good start but its got to get better RIGHT
marty

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Welcome to a fellow VA'er! Plenty of support here. Welcome back to the hobby.
- Jack

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Welcome to the forum. Isn't it amazing how so many of our "getting back into RC" stories are almost identical? We were going through old boxes/attics/basement storage/etc., found our 30-year-old RC cars and practically all of us decided to restore/fix/modernize our cars and subsequently got sucked back into the hobby. :)

And also, almost none of us stopped after doing that first car... :mrgreen:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

NokeRC10

Post by NokeRC10 »

Coelacanth wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:17 pm Welcome to the forum. Isn't it amazing how so many of our "getting back into RC" stories are almost identical? We were going through old boxes/attics/basement storage/etc., found our 30-year-old RC cars and practically all of us decided to restore/fix/modernize our cars and subsequently got sucked back into the hobby. :)

And also, almost none of us stopped after doing that first car... :mrgreen:

Haha, Yes!

Being that parts are hard to find and I want to preserve the "patina" of the RC10CE I have, I pulled the trigger on a World's Car on EBAY a while back. I couldn't abandon the aluminum tub car. I was glad to see that the quality of these Chinese RC10's seems on par with what Associated was building back when I originally got into it.

Having built the World's kit now and having the advantage of looking over both cars extensively, I can see a lot of differences in some of the less talked about parts.

I would love to be able to catalog these parts. Or has this already been done?