Veterans tribute RC10...

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Veterans tribute RC10...

Post by UltraHIVE »

Hey guys, heres a few progress pics of a special themed project I'm working on. I tried a few new techniques, and overall it was a fun project.

Updated pics, 9/14/14

more pics in the for sale section...
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35344

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Re: Veterans tribute RC10...

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Sharp looking lid there. Like the digi work on the sides. Many thanks to those who serve(d)!

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

Very sharp lid there. I really like your style. How much is paint vs. decals?

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

thanks guys. all the logos are stickers, as well as the POW / MIA sticker on the hood, the rest is paint. I'm painting & stickering the wing today, adding bolt on lexan window nets, finishing the decals, then off to feeBay.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

8)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

UltraHIVE wrote:thanks guys. all the logos are stickers, as well as the POW / MIA sticker on the hood, the rest is paint. I'm painting & stickering the wing today, adding bolt on lexan window nets, finishing the decals, then off to feeBay.
UltraHIVE, you're the sticker guru here...do you have a recommendation on a good vinyl sticker paper that comes in 8.5 x 11" sheets and can print with an inkjet printer? I know of two paper brands that offer this (waterproof inkjet-printable vinyl sticker paper), but I haven't tried either yet...Papilio and PhotoPaperDirect.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

That's pretty sweet.
:D

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Veterans tribute RC10 / Updated driver figure, wing, fogs...

Post by UltraHIVE »

Thanks guys, just updated pics and its almost ready. Still need to install transparent bolt-on window nets, and cut the rear body mount hole.

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Coelacanth wrote:
UltraHIVE wrote:thanks guys. all the logos are stickers, as well as the POW / MIA sticker on the hood, the rest is paint. I'm painting & stickering the wing today, adding bolt on lexan window nets, finishing the decals, then off to feeBay.
UltraHIVE, you're the sticker guru here...do you have a recommendation on a good vinyl sticker paper that comes in 8.5 x 11" sheets and can print with an inkjet printer? I know of two paper brands that offer this (waterproof inkjet-printable vinyl sticker paper), but I haven't tried either yet...Papilio and PhotoPaperDirect.
Thanks man, but I really have no idea. Believe it or not, I never worked a day in a sign shop, just took a loan out 6 years ago and jumped into the fire. Whatever I know is based on what I taught myself, and I've only worked with vinyl and polyesters.

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

I would love to see a thread with everyone's driver figure and how they painted them and mount them. I have only painted one and I was miserable. I used the Fascolor paint and a small paint brush and it just didn't want to stick. It kept going on then "fisheyeing" and leaving a clear spot. Spraying that same paint through an airbrush covers the body well and takes two coats. I guess brushing it on isn't the preferred method.

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

I will document the next one with progress pics. I use thin vinyl sticker strips to section off areas. Washing the lexan is important, and you want to scuff the gloss off from the inside with a coarse sponge. I use Testors and Tamiya model paints, a few coats until you cant see light through it. Then seal the underside with a backing spray when its done. Alot of the details are external decals, and the seat cushioning & gloves are external flat Tamiya paint. After each section, after removing the vinyl strip, I clean excess paint off using paint thinner with tight woven qtips, and flat wooden toothpics. Then I scratch away the rest right up to the line using sharp wooden topthpics and both a sharp and dulled xacto knife.

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Finished! Please check my for sale section for price and Paypal info, thanks...

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35344