Do you thin Parma FasKolor?

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Showcase1186
Approved Member

Do you thin Parma FasKolor?

Post by Showcase1186 »

Newbie air brusher and watched the beginner vids. Yes I pushed down and pulled back on the trigger.
I recently purchased a new dual action airbrush/compressor kit for modeling off ebay. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Airbrush-Kit-Air-Compressor-Nail-Art-Tattoo-Dual-Action-Spray-Brush-Gun-Set-/230771514341?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb0ddbe5

I tried shooting the Parma faskolor and almost nothing would come out of the gun. It would literally take about 2 minutes to cover 1 square inch with a dusting of color. I figured the new brush may be clogged, so I cleaned it out and blew some hot water through it. It sprayed the hot water perfectly as expected. I went back to the paint and again the gun seemed like it was clogged. I'm perplexed, because the viscosity of the water seemed kinda close to the paint.
SO MY QUESTIONS ARE:
1) BASED ON THE TIP OF MY GUN SHOULD I HAVE TO THIN OUT THE PARMA FASKOLOR?
2) IF SO HOW MUCH AND WHAT ARE YOU USING TO THIN IT OUT paint thinner?
3) IS THERE A RECOMMENDED "GO TO AIR BRUSH" FOR THIS TYPE OF PAINTING? I have heard Iwata is good, any specific model#?
Guys I am a newbie air brusher, so please help and thanks for any reply!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Do you thin Parma Fast color?

Post by Coelacanth »

What's Parma Fast Color? Do you mean FasKolor? If yes, that stuff doesn't need to be thinned, you're supposed to be able to airbrush it right from the original container. Maybe you have an issue with your airbrush?

Your eBay link points to a listing that's no longer available... :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I thinned out Fascolor and it was super runny and took multiple coats.

I think it is meant to be shot as is. If your airbrush is clogging you can add some water. But just a little.
"It's not broken, it's British!"

Ivan Dobsky
Approved Member

Post by Ivan Dobsky »

Post edited to get rid of photos

When I was painting I normally used Faskolor. The air pressure has to be pretty high compared to most other paints I've tried. What kind of pressure are you running at?

You can thin Faskolor, its not normally necessary but the dark blue usually has trouble getting out of the nozzle and can be thinned to prevent the problem. The rest of the colours should be fine to spray from the bottle.

I tried the ebay link but its not working so I don't know what you bought. I used to use Faskolor's own "F1" airbrush and it was great. I did later switch to an Iwata when I was really good, but it didn't make any real difference to the quality of the paint job, it just made the job faster because my Iwata was gravity fed.

Showcase1186
Approved Member

Post by Showcase1186 »

Ivan Dobsky wrote:When I was painting I normally used Faskolor. The air pressure has to be pretty high compared to most other paints I've tried. What kind of pressure are you running at?

You can thin Faskolor, its not normally necessary but the dark blue usually has trouble getting out of the nozzle and can be thinned to prevent the problem. The rest of the colours should be fine to spray from the bottle.

I tried the ebay link but its not working so I don't know what you bought. I used to use Faskolor's own "F1" airbrush and it was great. I did later switch to an Iwata when I was really good, but it didn't make any real difference to the quality of the paint job, it just made the job faster because my Iwata was gravity fed.

I'm not trying to show off here, but just to prove that I do know what I'm talking about, despit being a noob on this forum, here's two cars that I painted entirely with a Faskolor F1 and Faskolor paints:
Ivan,
It was blue that I was having trouble with, but it was a lighter blue. As far as pressure my compressor has 3 settings, low med and high, but there is not a gauged regulator. I have read anywhere from 6-18psi can be acceptable parameters pending on needle size etc.. Any thoughts, or does anyone have a set up I can mirror, so I don't have to recreate the wheel?
Thanx again!
BTW UPDATED THE LINK AND FIXED FASKOLOR. Thanx!

Ivan Dobsky
Approved Member

Re: Do you thin Parma FasKolor?

Post by Ivan Dobsky »

OK, its been a little while since I was doing any painting, but I'm 99% certain that I ran 40psi with Faskolor paints, sometimes I'd have to raise that slightly but 40psi usually got the job done.

If its just the blue that you're having trouble with then that is odd. The problem I had with blue occured when I had to spray a large area, after a fairly lengthy spray it would start to clog up, hence I thinned the blue a little.

I don't want to be negative here and I hope I'm wrong in saying this, but its hard to get a decent airbrush on its own for $57, I don't think a set with an airbrush and compressor for that money would shoot Faskolor. As I said I hope I'm wrong though and without seeing that setup in real life, I can't say for sure.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I have to thin fascolor to shoot from my airbrush. Windex is what came recommmended and works great.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Showcase1186
Approved Member

Post by Showcase1186 »

slapshot1979 wrote:I have to thin fascolor to shoot from my airbrush. Windex is what came recommmended and works great.
Windex? I can't fathom that's serious. If it is; MY MIND HAD JUST BEEN BLOWN! Please let me know if your not kidding. I'm an airbrush newbie, but that seems kinda far fetched.

Showcase1186
Approved Member

Post by Showcase1186 »

Ivan Dobsky wrote:OK, its been a little while since I was doing any painting, but I'm 99% certain that I ran 40psi with Faskolor paints, sometimes I'd have to raise that slightly but 40psi usually got the job done.

If its just the blue that you're having trouble with then that is odd. The problem I had with blue occurred when I had to spray a large area, after a fairly lengthy spray it would start to clog up, hence I thinned the blue a little.

I don't want to be negative here and I hope I'm wrong in saying this, but its hard to get a decent airbrush on its own for $57, I don't think a set with an airbrush and compressor for that money would shoot Faskolor. As I said I hope I'm wrong though and without seeing that setup in real life, I can't say for sure.
This was the first and only color I shot out of the brush. Yet water sprayed out of the brush without issue. I suppose air pressure may be the culprit. I know for a fact the specs of the compressor is 5-10psi. That based on my needle size yields.... I think I need a recommendation on a decent airbrush set up, on a budget that can shoot FasKolor.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Showcase1186 wrote:
slapshot1979 wrote:I have to thin fascolor to shoot from my airbrush. Windex is what came recommmended and works great.
Windex? I can't fathom that's serious. If it is; MY MIND HAD JUST BEEN BLOWN! Please let me know if your not kidding. I'm an airbrush newbie, but that seems kinda far fetched.
No, he's bang-on, I've read that several places too. A bit of the clear Windex, to get a consistency similar to milk. But, it's not supposed to be necessary if your airbrush is set to work at recommended specs.

Depending on your needle size, 5 - 10 psi is way too low. I would assume you should be up around 25 - 30, 40+ for metallics & pearls probably.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I was in the same boat you are a short while ago brand new to this airbrushing thing and posted this very question and I had windex as a response. I use regular blue windex and works fine but I do notice when I sprayed Flor. yellow it did have a slight blue hint to it. I have since sprayed that colour again with clear windex and noticed the difference, dont notice the blue on any other colours I have. I have yet to be able to shoot any of my colours straight from bottle but is advertised as such.
All that said I dont have much experience and what these guys are saying about pressures and tip size is bang on also, but to keep yourself sane until you get the feel for it, try thinning and start to have fun. Im hooked but have along way to go to be good. :D
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Showcase1186
Approved Member

Post by Showcase1186 »

Thanx guys! All great help! One remaining question.
Any recommendation on a brush and compressor combo that is fair priced?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'll let someone else chime in on a compressor, I got mine as a gift, a Campbell-Hausfeld that also does work in the garage on the old 1:1 cars. For a great airbrush for a cheap price, you can't go wrong with these, I have 2 of them:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9294

Ivan Dobsky
Approved Member

Post by Ivan Dobsky »

I've heard about Windex, also heard about mixing some alcohol, but I never tried either of those. I did ocossionally add a tiny amount of water.

I can't recommend a specific budget compressor but with regard to airbrushes I can say that I think the Faskolor F1 is good value for money (if a little expensive for a first airbrush). For good advice on compressors I'd say visit an art shop, that's where my compressor came from.

Showcase1186
Approved Member

Post by Showcase1186 »

Wow, great info and awesome price on that brush!!! I may put that on order, but I want to research a bit more!
Thanx again guys!