Futuba fp-r102je

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...
DMAT
Approved Member

Futuba fp-r102je

Post by DMAT »

On this reciever, Ive still got like 3 feet worth of antenna. Does this excess length help me or can I cut it down. If its worth keeping, any suggestions on how to wrap it to boost reception.

integra22t
Approved Member

Re: Futuba fp-r102je

Post by integra22t »

dont cut it

just do what the manual says http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/2ncr-2ncs-manual.pdf

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

lol, thats awesome, I've been doing what it told me too all along. but I was hoping for better range that I had.

car to say which would be better? Attack sport vs Magnum sport? Both are on the 75 mhz band

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

they are going to be the same within feet of each other .. the longer the anti is off the ground the farther you should beable to get .. but nothing compaires to the range 2.4 is getting

if you want the look of the old recever just mount the 2.4 recever in the old case ... just an idea

also are you sure the ariel on the recever is the stock lenght .. if some one has replaced it and its the wrong lenght it will change the range of the recever

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I have 2 of these and both have matching wire types. One was cut to fill an antenna tube with a knot at the top and the other is just the long one I asked about before.

I can probably take apart the housing and check the internals but I'm not sure what it should have looked like in the first place.

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

just look for shiny solder at the ant. wire if it looks diffrent than the rest then it has been replaced ... its hard to find out what the oem wire lenght is ...

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I hate to have to bump this but when I hooked them up today. They didnt work. I tried this with both recievers I have, multiple crystals, and multiple controllers and neither are working at all.

I got no response from either the servo or motor. When I hooked up the two to my newer reciever, they worked fine.

That means its either in the controller or reciever. Last time I used these, they worked. No clue why they wouldnt now.

so any ideas what I may have done?

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

only a couple of things i can think of ... 1 are they both am/fm recever and transmitter ... 2 when you pluged them in was the white wire on the inside ? the servo move at all when the power is turned on ?

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

both receivers are the exact same. AM 75 MHz. The controllers are Attack sport and Magnum sport. Both antenna wires are the original ones in the receiver so the short one was cut at some point. I should have figured this since they had the original MHz sticker on them. I only inspected 1 after realizing this on the first so the second is still untouched.

I get no response from the servo when I turn the power on, It just sits. The newer receiver does get power from the esc so I doubt its a no power issue.

No clue if this means anything, When I have the controller turned on. If I put it near any speaker, particularly the antenna, it makes it start blasting out sound so im guessing some signal is being put out.

I did remove the crystals from the reciever/controllers to see what they were so maybe that is part of the problem?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Crystals for tx and rx are different- did you make sure the "rx" is in the receiver? If any have a yellow pull tag that's the receiver side (post 1991)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

The tx and rx crystals are in the proper places. All I did was try both crystals in each receiver to see if either controller could communicate with it. The tx crystals were never transfered between controllers as one has been glued. I cant swap it out. That controller is also the one that has always worked for me.

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

if the servo or motor dosent jump it sounds like a power problem .. try hooking a battery pack (4 AA) to the battery chan. and see if it changes

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I'll see if i can pick one up later today. Were older ones not able to let power flow in through the channels like new ones can? I just dont remember ever needing a separate power source for these receivers but I'll give it a shot.

A few bucks on a battery holder is a lot cheaper than buying a new futuba 603FS.

On a side note, if I used a newer receiver, would that bump a car out of a vintage class or does that matter?

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

what speed control are you running ? .. ive seen alot of strange things happen with newer and older systems running together

the old recevers should run power to eveything throu the speed control but for a test just leave the esc unpluged and just run a servo and battery and see if you get anything .. then try a diffrent servo ... if there is nothing at that point they might be dead :cry:

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

well, I bought a battery pack for the reciever. It works now. doesnt make much sense that this doesnt anymore but w/e works.