Went on a brushed motor resto kick

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Went on a brushed motor resto kick

Post by Coelacanth »

Over the past few weeks, I finally got the itch to do something with the vintage brushed motors that were lying around in my parts boxes in various conditions. A few were complete, but others were missing the correct endbells, NIP parts which I'd also purchased over the years but were just sitting at the bottom of a parts box. So since I already had my soldering iron out, I got on a soldering/motor restoration kick.

I also just received the Le Mans 240SB--Kyosho's fastest-revving motor back in the mid-80's--that I scored on eBay for $15...it turned out to be in nearly mint condition, not a single scratch on the label, and whoever soldered on the capacitors did a mighty fine job! All I had to do for that one was solder on my own motor wires with bullet connectors and get rid of the Tamiya connector.

One of the 480S motors has been modded with a gold endbell and 240SB rotor & new springs & brushes. The other 480S was in pretty good shape except for the blue plastic endbell, which was left in a mess by its previous owner, who did a mighty bad solder job. Fortunately I had a NIP Le Mans endbell but it wasn't aluminum; but far better than the nicked & melted blue one. The 240ST I just gave a good cleaning and soldered on motor wires, it was in great shape already.

I think I got the gold Trinity D3 from slotcarrod and gave that a full resto too. It might be a custom job because it has "14 x 4" engraved on one side, and "2" on the other. Who can share any info about this motor? It seems pretty powerful and more modern than the Le Mans motors.
RestoredVintageMotors1.jpg
RestoredVintageMotors2.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

caesar
Approved Member

Re: Went on a brushed motor resto kick

Post by caesar »

Always love seeing old kyosho motors, my collection is growing slowly and at some stage will do the same.

some info on the D3 compliments of the way back machine

http://web.archive.org/web/19971015105658/http://www.teamtrinity.com/home.cgi/hotstuff

just click on the motors link in the 2nd paragraph

Cheers
Rob

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

caesar wrote:some info on the D3 compliments of the way back machine

http://web.archive.org/web/19971015105658/http://www.teamtrinity.com/home.cgi/hotstuff

just click on the motors link in the 2nd paragraph
Thanks Rob! I did some internet research already and found some info, but never came across that page. That has a lot more detailed info and specs! It seems the D3 series was one of their top motor lines back in that time, at least based on retail price and features. Although I've only test-run it through a pair of C batteries in series, it seems to go really well. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

They look great. I'm a bit of a brushed motor junkie myself, I have some I'd like to get on the lathe and get really humming again. Good stuff!