Please help support RC10Talk.com!
Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Any contribution helps!!

Was just messing around in the 'shop yesterday evening (Brushed Mills)

esc's, charger's, batteries....

Moderator: scr8p

Lonestar
What was your first real rc car?: MRC Bullit

Was just messing around in the 'shop yesterday evening (Brushed Mills)

Post by Lonestar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:18 pm

As I was trying to locate the mill for my "Blue is Better" TRX1 (see >here<), I ended up opening a box I hadn't messed with for quite a while... and boy there is more stuff in there than I remembered. Just thought I'd share some :)

some of the Brushed mills I have left, the "good condition to NOS ones":

Notice the Drastic's on the left? Any frenchies on the board? :mrgreen:

360 gold - Alloy head, long rotor (550) - and not the best condition really... how did it end in this box?!?

Crown Jewel... I didn't even remember I had one :shock:

I think this is actually the first time I take it out of its box :shock:

And just a bit of a teaser, so I can brag a bit for once :mrgreen:

voila... they're back in the box now and the LRP pink E is going on the TRX1 shortly ;)

Cheers folks!
Paul
They're saying "BUT YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE SECOND AMENDMENT!!!" - of course you can: it's called an amendment.

tamiyadan
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Big bear

Re: Was just messing around in the 'shop yesterday evening (Brushed Mills)

Post by tamiyadan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:22 pm

the WT lemans people didn't like when it came out.

Wet magnets were kind of new at the time.

the idea worked like this...

originally all magnets were made of dry iron powder it was compacted and subjected to a magnetic field.
the magnet created was not as strong as it could be, it could also de-laminate over time and it could also lose its magnetic field over time.
some strange things could occur with really old dry magnets where if you disassembled a working motor and remove the magnets from and separated them the magnetic field held between them would completely collapse and the magnets would actually stop being magnets. it is a big issue with restoration of old toys.

wet magnets were Iron Ferrite mixed with water in a slurry and then compressed and subjected to a magnetic field, you got a more compact magnet with more poles in alignment. the upshot was a MUCH stronger magnet that would not lose much strength over time and could take more heat before reaching Curie Point where the magnet would lose all its field under high temperature.

Back then the idea was Hey a stronger magnet means a stronger motor. So kyosho took the 480 armature from the Dry magnet and introduced a wet magnet... well a stronger magnetic field has the effect of increasing torque at the expense of RPMS. nobody realized that and so people bought the new WT motors and complained they were much slower and lethargic compared to the SB, S or T, ST ,SP versions.

then they kind of got a reputation and people didn't want them, so you find a LOT of them NIB.

what should of been done with them is;
1) give them a comm Cut to increase Timing.
2) Knock the timing advance up
3) break in the brush, align the hoods they were always off on le mans
4) Gear them a couple of teeth up to make up for the loss of RPMS and use the new lower torque curve.

Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 am

Cheers Dan, great info on the transition to Wet magnets... I was a kid when this happened and this is a great learning :)
They're saying "BUT YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE SECOND AMENDMENT!!!" - of course you can: it's called an amendment.

tamiyadan
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Big bear

Post by tamiyadan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:25 pm

you wouldn't really do any of that today since if you have a NIB motor then the value would be in not touching it or running it.

it is interesting how motors got a reputation sometimes with good reason sometimes not, sometimes the motor got a great reputation or perception when it didn't deserve it, it just got caught in the hype.

well if you need new motor labels MCIs got em :D

Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:52 pm

tamiyadan wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:25 pm
you wouldn't really do any of that today since if you have a NIB motor then the value would be in not touching it or running it.

for sure! I have an all-silver mid custom shelfer project, and that might very well go into it :mrgreen:

Return to “Old School Electronics”