tools fer cheatin!

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

makoman1860
Approved Member

Re: tools fer cheatin!

Post by makoman1860 »

Oh yes I remember the speed control tweaking! Thats going back to the early 90's, which is when most of the motor tweaking came in too. I remember building a jig to sort armatures on by resistance and timing. Brushes were an art form as well, especially in the 4 cell on road classes. I remember that you basicly had two choices, buy a ton of parts and sort them to build up the best motor, or just blueprint yours to roar specs. Yeah the top national guys ran anything but what the rest of us could buy. I was so glad when the rebuildable stock motors finally came out.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The Tamiya TCS series was the biggest feild of cheating that I've ever seen. It really came down to who could cheat the best and get away with it.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Life and moral judgement at rc10talk, who'd a thunk :lol: Show me a competition and somewhere cheating is going on. I did not have enough knowledge as a kid to do any of this but sure do find it interesting to read about today. Tell us more juicy and sordid details please.

makoman1860
Approved Member

Post by makoman1860 »

Ha good at least some people caught the spirit of the topic. Just imagine if someone from the outside world overheard a conversation about adults being worked up with cheating and racing toys. They would think the cheaters were crazy for being so involved in toys, and the worked up people were crazy for letting it get to them. Maybe we are all just crazy? Hmmm I do have a dyno in my bedroom........

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Odorless or undetectable traction compounds at traction free events was another one that popped up frequently.

This is one I heard about but haven't witnessed first hand, a manufacturer wrapping or labeling incorrect cells with the "correct" labels to make them appear legal.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I've seen "stuff" used at club races where there was a no traction compound rule (carpet). They didn't go as far as using a durometer but if they suspected compounds bye bye....

On another note most of the local indoor tracks that let you use compounds eventually adopted a "no wintergreen" rule.

Lets not forget marshaling, having raced in california there was a bit of Norcal vs Socal driver thing. A norcal guy may be slow to retrieve a socal drivers car but quick to recover a norcal drivers car... Again, TCS was terrible for this.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

No wonder I rarely won. Had nothing to do with my driving, all the cheaters :lol:

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I think girls killed many good upcoming drivers :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

civilizations have been won and lost because of it.

makoman1860
Approved Member

Post by makoman1860 »

I wonder how many people return to R/C after divorce?

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

makoman1860 wrote:I wonder how many people return to R/C after divorce?
i was getting back into during marriage. But after Divorce, yup went full swing back into rc. went from 5 cars to a garage full in a few years of stuff. and a new real life project car.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I remember the level of tech I used to get into back in the day. Oh the memories....suicide charge leads with a Multimeter set to monitor voltage.... LOL! That and motor spray way my limit.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Farabomb
Approved Member

Post by Farabomb »

I don't have much to add in the ways of RC rules interpretation but I know about 1:1 racing. I'm a crewchief for a NASA PTD/Spec 86 Cup car and I've been helping with timing and scoring for 10+ years.

There is reading between the lines and outright cheating. If you want a really good book to read pick up Smokey Yunick's "the best damn garage in town". He was famous in the early days of NASCAR and Indy racing for finding and exploiting those grey areas. Some of the things he did, like wedging aspirins in the coils of the suspension to pass the initial ride height measurement. After a few laps the pills would crush, dropping the ride height below spec for more areo. Since the cars were only teched pre-race not post it wasn't technically against the rules. There there was when he used a coil of fuel tubing to get a few more gallons of fuel. He rolled up to tech, dropped the tank for them to inspect capacity, then started up the car and drove it back to his paddock. The rule stated the tank had to hold xxx gallons and it did. It said nothing about how long the fuel lines could be.

At any level there is some rule interpretation going on. ONe of my friends that run Spec Miata has 2 cars. One is the built exactly to the spec, one is the development car. We all know the one car is a cheater, he doesn't place 1st and doesn't interfere with the front runners so three is rarely an issue. One year in the SCCA nationals the top 7 finishers were tossed for illegal heads. They were all running them so it was a known exploit but SCCA had enough and locked it down.

I know all about the deep pocket racers. My main competition has a almost unlimited budget. We still manage to run even with him, he wins one day and we place 2nd, the next race we win and he gets 2nd. My driver's racecraft is better, the other guy has a faster car. Is he "cheating?" no but he may be reading the rules different than us. His dyno numbers are within the tolerances so we won't protest. We run a spec tune were if we thought it was the ECU we can just flash it in the paddock. The racing is still extremely close as we run a spec series.

My driver actually came from Tamiya racing. As he tells me he was out in Cali a few times for major races and just missed the cut to go to Japan. He was from Long Island so it's possible Tamiyadan may have raced with him.

His history in RC really helps in 1:1 racing. He knows car setup and knows how to explain to me how he wants the car. He's an amazing driver in both 1:1 and RC. We had a track in my backyard for RC18's and it didn't matter what anyone else was running in their cars, we wiped the floor with us with a bone dead stock car.

Some racers are fast because they are cheating. Some are just fast because of a mixture of raw tallent, experience and drive to be the best.
When in doubt, throttle out. It may not help the situation but it will end the suspense

RC: Org RC10 ReRe RC10 Worlds RC18T RC18B RC18R SCX10 Wraith MREV T-Maxx Subaru Brat Blackfoot QX180 ProtoX PFV and Nano

Crewchief for AZPInstalls BRZ PTD racecar

Farabomb
Approved Member

Post by Farabomb »

We'll be up at Watkins a few times this year. Nationals is being held there so we need practice on the new pavement they just laid down. Watkins is one of my favorite tracks but with the blue bushes being so close it's scary as hell. One tiny mistake and there is a good chance you're going to bend your car. Stock pads normally don't do well at track events. Also it's always a good idea to flush the brakes before an event. You don't want to be coming into turn one and have the pedal go to the floor.
When in doubt, throttle out. It may not help the situation but it will end the suspense

RC: Org RC10 ReRe RC10 Worlds RC18T RC18B RC18R SCX10 Wraith MREV T-Maxx Subaru Brat Blackfoot QX180 ProtoX PFV and Nano

Crewchief for AZPInstalls BRZ PTD racecar

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

A buddy of mine worked at Demon in the UK . One of his duties was motor testing for the team drivers. Basically he would spend hours on end cherry picking motors. Lowest current draw highest RPM. IIRC.
I know he used to also zap the magnets on his modified motors, weaker magnets less torque more rpm, and vice versa.