Motor Collection - Old School Horsepower

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dinglem
Approved Member

Motor Collection - Old School Horsepower

Post by dinglem »

Here are some of my old motors from bitd.

These range from around '87 to '92.

There is a nice timeline of MG motors evident here, as I became sponsored by them and they provided me with their 'hand selected' standard motors.

You can see the MG Brown Dot (now quite rare) has a sticker marking it as an '88, and then I believe it was the Red Dot, of which there are a couple, then the ones with the blue label (x3), then the floro pink versions, and then I believe I went on to the Cobras.

There are also a couple of very early Demon motors in there as well - always loved the red stickers on those (one 27T standard, and a 16T).

Plenty of Reedy modified in there, and a pair of LRP's which were probably the last couple of motors I purchased. I always liked those as they came in a tasty LRP-labeled tube/pot, which you can see just above the motors stood up on the table.

I cannot recall whether the purple MG 'Exterminator' was a standard or modified - I don't have these in front of me as my folks have only just dug them out of their loft and sent me the pictures.

I think the Trinity was also a standard 27T, probably from around 1990. There is at least one missing - a 21D Reedy Silver Dot - but I think that is still in one of my other cars which hasn't been located in the loft yet! I am hoping so anyway.

I thought you might like to have a look, as seeing these brings back some great memories for me.

14808933_307752892944121_1263491052_oA.jpg
14813738_307543079631769_272794800_n.jpg
14808905_307752922944118_1888638281_oA.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Re: Motor Collection - Old School Horsepower

Post by tamiyadan »

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

You did a lot more than I did by the sounds of it... I was only in from around '87 - '92, and stopped almost immediately when I went to Uni. Beer and boobs took over.

'91 was my best year also. 3rd overall in the 4wd Nationals.

I see you have already commented on my RC10 post so you have seen that car - it's a bit of an oddity. There is a Yokomo works of mine in the Yoke section also. They were my two main cars, although there was also a very modified Optima Mid which was lowered for carpet racing. Heavily lightened and drilled out, with cool alloy rims. We can't seem to locate that at the minute, but I am sure it will pop up eventually. Lost in the depths of the attic.

There must a lot more up there - boxes and boxes of spares most likely still in their packets. I'll dig it all out and see what happens.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Oh don't say that! :?

I am hoping when I get going again it all comes rushing back in a flash and i'll be right on it....

I had my father running the pit box, charging and building/re-engineering the cars. All I did was race and marshall, so I was lucky in that respect. I got the impression he enjoyed it even more than me, and that seems to be the case today as well as he is the one digging all of my old stuff out of the life and getting excited that we might start up again.

We still can't find my carpet Mid though, which is a bit of a worry.

What were you doing in the oil industry? I am in seismic exploration (sat on a ship right now in fact).

I think my first hurdle is getting the wife involved with the racing.... that's going to be a tough sale for sure!!!

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Yup - good times. I would never have been able to have such a cool RC collection without his input, that's for sure. It is only now really that I am realizing just what it was I actually had. Just the motor collection is cool now I look at it 8)

Sorry to hear your story, but sounds like you came out of it really well.

Do you have any of your old RC stuff left from bitd?

I got into BMX around the same time so had a lot going on, although a significant accident with lots of broken bones slowed me right down. My other hobby now is collecting and restoring 80's BMX so I guess the RC thing will go hand-in-hand with that.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

From what I gather there is a large shelf full of trophies in my parents loft, along with boxes and boxes of magazines, so by the sounds of it I have everything. The only 2 items outstanding so far are the body for my RC10 and the carpet racing Mid as I mentioned. I am sure they will turn up as they continue to sort through the loft.

I'll then have to shift it all over to our house, and to do that I have to negotiate the lovely wife(!) I have a bit of a mancave stuffed with BMX bikes, so the cars will be in great company :lol:

I have another earlier Yokomo (870c) which was thoroughly lightened by hand, and that is sat looking very sorry for itself at the minute. I might re-invent that and build it up as a shelf car for display I think. NOS parts. Same goes for the RC10 as I have the entire front and rear suspension set ups as new from when we switched over to the Yokomo conversion. All I need is a new chassis and I can build a shelf-fresh RC10. I have a new unused gearbox and engine guard plate also.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Nice table! I'm an engine/real car guy too :wink:

We have a large outbuilding which is used as a garage. You can get 6 cars in there parked up in two lines of three, at a push. Above that is a converted loft space which I use as a mancave and have all of my bikes up there. There will be room for the RC cars up there for sure as there is loads of space, and it is safely locked away.

How did we drift so far away from the subject of my motors???! :lol:

bmx01b.JPG

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Holy *&^% !!!!

That's awesome.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Man that's a sweet collection! I have nothing like that, nor will I have I doubt. The wife would be having words, plus we have an 18month old who likes to trash EVERYTHING. If I can have my old race cars and then build up the old ones I had as spares into shelf cars that don't get used then i'll be more than happy. I really want to start racing again more than collecting I think.

I do get away with this too though.... basically the garage and the room above it are mine to do as I please (within reason).

garage 001a.jpg