Picked up a batch of stock motors, any oddballs?

ESCs, chargers, radios, batteries, etc...

Moderator: scr8p

makoman1860
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: 1998 RC10T sport

Picked up a batch of stock motors, any oddballs?

Post by makoman1860 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Hey guys,
I normally keep my eyes open on ebay for lots of inexpensive brushed motors to rebuild into backyard track runners and the like. I picked up the pictured ones today and want to know if any are oddballs that should maybe be saved rather than rebuilt (possibly damaged). The one with the aluminum end I am thinking is a Lemans? The pocket rocket decal looks decent. The precision was I believe one fellow over in San Diego. The Twisters is a 27t yokomo. The other one I cant read the label on. Not sure. Thanks!
Attachments
ebay motors.jpg

tamiyadan
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Big bear

Re: Picked up a batch of stock motors, any oddballs?

Post by tamiyadan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:21 pm

nothing exciting in there.

from what i can tell,
left to right

modified trinity 427 16T Double.

stock twister motor. An interesting Twister motor; Is Black can, modified with a silver twister name (machine wound) or a rarer Red colored name (hand wound)

(the red end can not le-mans) Trinity monster horsepower 1985 possibly. the label is gone and the picture doesn't tell much. Trinity did use Kyosho motor cans back then and they would say Kyosho on them and they looked like Lemans motors but they are not. Kyosho color coded a red endbell with the red front on the can making it a 240s, trinity did not.

pocket rocket stock motor.

precision stock motor.

some of the more interesting motors will have CNC brush hoods, modified cans, and you would look for hand wound signs on the armature, hand balanced, soldered tabs(instead of machine wound crimped)

just some vintage fodder nothing special.

makoman1860
Approved

Post by makoman1860 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:40 pm

Dan,
Kinda what I figured. Hopefully they are decent enough to make some runners out of. The guy threw in a bunch of new springs and brushes as well so for $15 I figured it was good building stock.

tamiyadan
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Big bear

Post by tamiyadan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:48 pm

any of them are fine for running.

something rare you would not run. anything rare is rare because motors were consumables you threw them out after a short time. you can only rebuild one so many times and something better always came along that you needed to try.

so it was rare for something rare to be kept because you ran it.

something like this is more interesting:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Twister ... SwiDFYM8WD
but it is still a twister motor a name people know, you would have to take it apart and look if it is hand wound and even then you would have no real specs on it unless you unwound it.

a ceramic shaft Race prep motor would be most interesting and costly.

makoman1860
Approved

Post by makoman1860 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:57 pm

Yeah thats why most of my old motors are near the end. About the only ones that survived were my Mr. Series Reedy motors and a few speed gems. My 6 year old has her eye on the pocket rocket, I have a feeling that will end up on her RC10. The 427 looks like it might be a good match for the blackfoot....hmmm the period would be right. Wish I knew a good way to print foil stickers.....

Return to “Old School Electronics”