1993 IFMAR Worlds Radio Race Car-Oct 1993

The place for digital versions of race reports from various sources.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: 1993 IFMAR Worlds Radio Race Car-Oct 1993

Post by DerbyDan »

Great scans.... & they have particular interest to me. Since I started my Yokomo 93WCS project I've been somewhat obsessed with this event & covert any picture taken/article written. I can remember that it was quite a 'big deal' for the World Off Road Championship to be held in the UK & many of the guys from the club at which I raced, made the trip down to watch.

Ruffy - I don't think the TEMAC track was particularly typical of a UK track of that time, Jirka's scans of the 94' British Grand Prix RRC review shows the Southampton which was a much more typical (& one of the best) UK tracks at the time. Our tracks back then were mostly laid on grass often using natural banks & undulations as features - ramps & the like were often mobile things made up of a metal frame coveree in PLY boards. I think the Basildon track was a UK attempt to make a US style track, but unfortunately our weather & probably lack of experience for laying such a track mean't it ended up the way it was.

Astro turf tracks are now very popular in the UK as it gives a fairly consistant surface & can be used in (our usually) poor weather without destroying it. I'm not too keen on these tracks as the grip levels are high, but with big ramps & irregular lumps & bumps makes for grip-roll & little margin of error.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I agree with you DerbyDan, as it looked like they were trying to please the world community by creating this track just for this event. We all loved the venue, the people and the announcing was awesome. It's just too bad that after a few days of showers/sprinkles during the practice days, the weather suddenly dried up and it turned into the "salt flats" and then the cracked large clumps of dirt started to fly out leaving big gaping pockets.
It was still quite an experience and was amazing to be there to participate!
:D

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Bump

Chamberlain
Approved Member

Post by Chamberlain »

I was there working with Peak Performance at the time and didn't race cause I didn't qualify at the 1992 Nats in Dallas. Broke on the 2 supergroom runs. That was a great race. Hydra Drive was a big deal in 2whl.

peetbee
Approved Member

Post by peetbee »

Just been looking at the reedy race magazine scans - thanks Jirka!
Even spotted myself in the background (I had forgotten that, despite having the magazine at the time!)
I just wanted to echo what derbydan said, that surface was new to everyone in the uk and the majority of us arrived there with no idea of what tyres were going to work! I never really got the hang of the track and my rc10 was all over the place. :oops:

I also remember the organisers rolling the track in an attempt to squeeze the water out of it and one of the associated guys videoing it whilst saying 'the guys back home won't believe this!'

mamadoesntletme
Approved Member

Post by mamadoesntletme »

I have worked in Basildon, anyone knows where this is/was?

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a list of drivers for the 1993 reedy invitational race of champions?

Thanks.

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

:arrow:

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

I think that's a different event. I'm looking for a list of drivers from the 1993 event at Basildon UK.

Thanks

Jamie