If you could ask Race Prep's Mike Dunn......

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Re: If you could ask Race Prep's Mike Dunn......

Post by Dirtdiver »

Thank-you for answering our questions Jeff.

The last question I have is could you update us on what Mike and Steve Dunn are doing these days and if they are still involved in RC?

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Ayk Viper wrote:It's wrong to dilute this thread with thanks but even more wrong not to thank you and Mike for your time and effort. Thanks indeed!
You're welcome. I know there's a lot of interest in Race Prep, the Pro Radiant and the Dunn brothers. If I can help bridge the gap between the questions and answers, I'm happy to help.
Dirtdiver wrote:Thank-you for answering our questions Jeff.

The last question I have is could you update us on what Mike and Steve Dunn are doing these days and if they are still involved in RC?
Mike and I just had this conversation earlier today. I have forwarded your question for a response in his own words.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

JHarris wrote:The R & P brushes is a great success story. I would say that we first sold these in 1985 or 1986. We sold in the millions. Thats the truth. Every R or P brush that was sold went through our shop first no matter who packaged it. Early in our venture into the motor brush market I was testing a number of different brushes. There were so many different compounds that it was easy to get them mixed up. So at that point I decided that I was going to have some sort of ID mark on the compound. Thats why I came up with the R & P. It turned out to be the best marketing decision we ever made. When the consumer went to replace his motor brushes, he was most likely to ask for the brush with an R or P on it. The brushes worked really well. They were still one of the best on the market til the end of the brushed motor. For the life of me I cant figure out why none of the other Mfg.s put ID marks on their brushes. I think Trinity put an "S" on one of their brushes indicating a Spec brush. Many of the top Mfg.s would buy brushes from us. Some even swallowed their pride and put them in their team motors even though they manufatured their own line of brushes.
Wow, much appreciated. :D :D Probably not surprising I agree, I tried a lot of brushes, some better here and there, but overall generally just ended up using the old tried and true, and rarely felt out motored. (course there was a lot of other stuff involved, bushing prep, springs, wire wrapping etc.)

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Here's a few pictures. I must apologize for the flash spots, but these are pictures of prints. They are not perfect, but they are better than nothing! I will put a brief description with each photo.
Attachments
The shop. 1988
The shop. 1988
Race Prep shop. 1988
Race Prep shop. 1988
Motor machinery from the shop. The one on the right with the light was for balancing. 1988
Motor machinery from the shop. The one on the right with the light was for balancing. 1988
Mike Dunn hard at work winding a modified motor at the shop. 1988
Mike Dunn hard at work winding a modified motor at the shop. 1988
3 of us ran the Pro Radiant in Atlanta, 1989
3 of us ran the Pro Radiant in Atlanta, 1989
My Pro Radiant
My Pro Radiant
My Pro Radiant and Composite Craft/Houge 2wd. Note the Brimod shocks on the 2wd
My Pro Radiant and Composite Craft/Houge 2wd. Note the Brimod shocks on the 2wd
Race Prep driver, former founder of Magnum motors and good friend, Tem Raskin. Atlanta 1989
Race Prep driver, former founder of Magnum motors and good friend, Tem Raskin. Atlanta 1989
Here I am at the region 2 race in Atlanta, Ga. 1989
Here I am at the region 2 race in Atlanta, Ga. 1989
This is me at the 1988 2wd nationals in Antioch. Over 600 entries!
This is me at the 1988 2wd nationals in Antioch. Over 600 entries!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

VERY VERY COOL! :mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Here's a few more from the 1988 4wd nationals at Hot Trax in California. Again, a brief description with each photo.
Attachments
Mike hard at work!
Mike hard at work!
Mike giving his race strategy
Mike giving his race strategy
Steve modeling the Race Prep uniform
Steve modeling the Race Prep uniform
A main drivers
A main drivers
A main drivers
A main drivers
Here's Jay Halsey riding in the parking lot. The gray Nissan truck on the left with the chrome wheels is Steve Dunns. When I got back to Florida I bought one just like it. I still have it!
Here's Jay Halsey riding in the parking lot. The gray Nissan truck on the left with the chrome wheels is Steve Dunns. When I got back to Florida I bought one just like it. I still have it!
Jay on the pocket rocket.
Jay on the pocket rocket.
Jay Halsey riding his pocket bike in the parking lot. We had a blast on this thing!
Jay Halsey riding his pocket bike in the parking lot. We had a blast on this thing!

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Very cool thanks for sharing!

carloco8
Approved Member

Post by carloco8 »

Wow, great stuff here! I still remember the Race Prep track that was out in Chatsworth, CA. Good times 8)
Old school racing all the way!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

For me it would seem the Dunn Family were the 'white knights' of off road electric racing in the USA back in the day. A family business that took on a brand less known than others, made it their own and succeeded with it in super style.
A success story in anyone's language.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

you were a winner before ya even raced in those shorts mate. :mrgreen: this is a great thread thanks very much.
JHarris wrote:Here's a few pictures. I must apologize for the flash spots, but these are pictures of prints. They are not perfect, but they are better than nothing! I will put a brief description with each photo.

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

Jeff,

Mike can give us some informations on the car , from the 1987 worlds in Romsey.
Prototype car for the Boost/Pro Radiant with Radiant parts...?

I search a short and Tshirt ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Jeff-
Was the ceramic armature used on both stock & modified motors or only stock motors? I always thought just stock until I found this Race Prep ad.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11691

Thank-you

dirtdiver

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

marui hunter 73 wrote:you were a winner before ya even raced in those shorts mate.

The shorts were actually a carry over from Mike's dad's off road racing (CORR type). Butch's team wore them back then and Mike carried on with the look in RC. Race Prep drivers were very recognizable, and looked pretty cool at the same time! For those searching for something similar, the shorts were cotton type, much like sweat pants and had an elastic waist. If anyone finds some, let us all know!!!

Dirtdiver wrote:Jeff-
Was the ceramic armature used on both stock & modified motors or only stock motors? I always thought just stock until I found this Race Prep ad.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11691

Thank-you

dirtdiver

The ceramic armature was used in modified motors. There were some complaints of breakage, but I personally never saw it.

bormac wrote:For me it would seem the Dunn Family were the 'white knights' of off road electric racing in the USA back in the day. A family business that took on a brand less known than others, made it their own and succeeded with it in super style.
A success story in anyone's language.
[/i]

Very well put! The Dunn's were/are great people. Even as different as Mike and Steve were, they still had the same core values and both would have done anything for anyone. Steve was a little more "outward" while Mike was more reserved, but you couldn't have found nicer guys. Even to this day I would consider myself to be very loyal to Mike and the Dunn's and would still do anything for them. If Mike was to re-enter the rc market today with a product, I would use, promote and support him and that product, no matter what the part, product or it's function. Knowing Mike and his attention to detail, I would have complete confidence in anything he produced.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Dirtdiver wrote:Thank-you for answering our questions Jeff.

Steve sold his retail store operation about 3 years ago and has relocated to North Carolina. He is not currently involved in the RC business but continues to race as a hobby.

I sold the Race Prep Mfg. business about 8 years ago. I have not raced R/C for about 3 years. I am currently involved in Website design and team management for Jammin Products. The entire family races Dwarf Cars on dirt ovals during the summer in Arizona where we live and continue a family business non R/C related.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

prp wrote:Jeff,

Mike can give us some informations on the car , from the 1987 worlds in Romsey.
Prototype car for the Boost/Pro Radiant with Radiant parts...?

I search a short and Tshirt ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Romsey car was basically a Radiant with our Mid-motor conversion kit on it. The weight on the car (coins) was attached to meet the minimum weight requirement. It was spread out just to try and keep the balance of the car. The coins may have been British coins. This was the first race we had ever raced using the 6 cell 5 minute format.

The boost body was sold in the US by Race Prep as an option only. We used it with the saddle pack chassis option. This is the only other body we sold or used on the Pro Radiant.

Although one of my best races with the Pro Radiant was at the worlds in Australia, I think the best performance ever for the Pro Radiant was when Steve won the Winter Nats in Florida. He was on his game. It was a total Race Prep effort. Car, Motor, Batteries. I didn't make the main and I watched all three mains from the sidelines. I think I was more excited about the win than anyone there. Including Steve. I know he won at least one of the mains, maybe two. The car was decked out with Skulls on the wheel covers and everything.

The Pro Radiant also won a ROAR National Championship in Las Vegas. It was the first ROAR Stadium Truck Nationals. We converted it by putting truck bodies and Losi JRX-T tires on. I won the main and got a championship ring. (never got a ring for my ROAR 4wd Modified win in Savannah, Ga. or my ROAR 2wd Stock Truck win in Ohio) Jack Johnson won the 2wd Championship ring with a Losi. The Pro Radiant pretty much dominated that class. I don't think any other 4wd car at the time would hold up under the loads of the bigger tires.

Attached is a pic of the ring thanks to the Pro Radiant
Attachments
Mikes ring.JPG