If you could ask Race Prep's Mike Dunn......

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

prp
Approved Member

Re: If you could ask Race Prep's Mike Dunn......

Post by prp »

On the 1987 Romsey car, which body's fit on ?
The Maverick body or Radiant...the Boost car coming after :?:

Here the link to my WC 87' replica: :D
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14109

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

I assume the Race Prep Team also raced dirt oval in the late 80's to early 90's. Do you have any photos of your oval cars or oval racing stories to share?

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

prp wrote:On the 1987 Romsey car, which body's fit on ?
The Maverick body or Radiant...the Boost car coming after :?:

Here the link to my WC 87' replica: :D
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14109

Romsey I believe we were using the Pro Radiant (Maverick) body. We did not cut the sides out exposing the batteries as shown on the Maverick Kit box art.

Dirtdiver wrote:I assume the Race Prep Team also raced dirt oval in the late 80's to early 90's. Do you have any photos of your oval cars or oval racing stories to share?

Yes we did race some dirt oval. The car was a Pro Radiant with custom chassis rails that extended the wheelbase. Different front bumpers and body mounts to accept the modified style bodies. We never really promoted the Pro Radiant as an oval car. We raced oval mainly to promote Motors. I raced a couple local races. Steve may have never raced dirt oval. I had an employee (Rick) that raced some and a friend of mine Tom Clark raced dirt oval about every weekend. Rick, Tom, and myself would race weekdays at a local track and Jim Greenmeyer showed up to race there as well. So it was weekday Motor Wars. One of my first sponsors was Checkpoint motors back in 1981.

I loved to race 2wd sprint car dirt oval. Unless it was a foam tire track.

Gil Losi Jr. and I went to a ROAR Oval National with 2 one off Losi cars. We both made the A-Main. I was running just ahead of Jr. and hit a hole which in turn sent me into him. He hit the wall and broke. Later in the race I had a motor wind blow off my armature. It wasnt a good result. He wasn't too happy with me and I wasn't too happy with myself. The cars we built were very over weight compared to the specialized oval cars, but with Gil Jr's talent for tuning a car we were able to run with them. Our cars handled very well in the corners. We showed up to the race with virgin cars and everytime we put them on the track they were faster. He was real good at doing that for a certain driving style. Fortunately his style and mine were very similiar. He helped me alot over the years. From the early Scorpion car days up thru the Losi car days.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Did Steve always hog the gas powered scooter at races (as seen in the Feb '90 coverage of the Aussie Worlds), or did anybody else get a turn with it?

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Hi have a question tha is not related to the Radiant or any motors or brushes...

I have a bunch of Raceprep parts for the Bobcat Buffalo Boxer series that I've never seen anywhere else than in my parts bin. For example I have black anodized front swing arms as well as a front shock tower for dual shock setup (replacing the monoshock). I also have a few other race prep parts such a ball diffs and so on but most of my parts are are replacing front suspension parts.

I have 3 questions:

Although these parts have a Race Prep tag they also have a price in yens on the tag. SoI'm wondering if there were manufactured by AYK and distributed by Raceprep (which would explain the price tag in yens) or if they were made by RacePrep.

I'm wondering what other RacePrep parts were avalable for these buggies. And where there option parts made for the SideWinder as well?

I'm wondering how the front shock tower setup was supposed to be mounted. I mounted one on one of my cars (see 2 last pictures on link below) but I had to drill two more holes in it. I'm assuming that this was not the proper way to set it up. It did fix the front wheel wobling though! I'm also wondering how the shocks were supposed to be mounted on the swing arms (I used Tamiya brackets but they don't fit so well).

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4022&hilit=+ayk

I realize that this may be a bit too specific to answer so thanks in advance for any type of response. It is extreemely appreciated! :D

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

SteveK wrote:Did Steve always hog the gas powered scooter at races (as seen in the Feb '90 coverage of the Aussie Worlds), or did anybody else get a turn with it?

I think Steve and Ron Rossetti were busy with the Go-Ped in Australia. At one point Steve was riding the Go-Ped inside the hotel and had to ditch it in Halsey's room since the manager was chasing him. Jim Halsey just happened to have his room door open when Steve came riding in.
AYKBOBCAT wrote:Hi have a question tha is not related to the Radiant or any motors or brushes...

I have a bunch of Raceprep parts for the Bobcat Buffalo Boxer series that I've never seen anywhere else than in my parts bin. For example I have black anodized front swing arms as well as a front shock tower for dual shock setup (replacing the monoshock). I also have a few other race prep parts such a ball diffs and so on but most of my parts are are replacing front suspension parts.

I have 3 questions:

Although these parts have a Race Prep tag they also have a price in yens on the tag. SoI'm wondering if there were manufactured by AYK and distributed by Raceprep (which would explain the price tag in yens) or if they were made by RacePrep.

I'm wondering what other RacePrep parts were avalable for these buggies. And where there option parts made for the SideWinder as well?

I'm wondering how the front shock tower setup was supposed to be mounted. I mounted one on one of my cars (see 2 last pictures on link below) but I had to drill two more holes in it. I'm assuming that this was not the proper way to set it up. It did fix the front wheel wobling though! I'm also wondering how the shocks were supposed to be mounted on the swing arms (I used Tamiya brackets but they don't fit so well).

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4022&hilit=+ayk

I realize that this may be a bit too specific to answer so thanks in advance for any type of response. It is extreemely appreciated! :D

Yes those Buffalo parts were MFG. by AYK and packaged for Race Prep. I didn't get too involved with the Buffalo project so I'm not too sure about the parts and how they fit.

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Can you compare the Radiant, Boost and Pro Radiant? What were the advantages of each model and what were their weak links? Also did the Boost ever race in the US as I only recall hearing about the Radiant and Pro-Radiant.

Thank-you

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Dirtdiver wrote:Can you compare the Radiant, Boost and Pro Radiant? What were the advantages of each model and what were their weak links? Also did the Boost ever race in the US as I only recall hearing about the Radiant and Pro-Radiant.

Thank-you

The Radiant was designed purely by AYK prior to our involvement with them. It's positives were the simple design, bullet proof drive train, stiff chassis. Weakness was in the rear engine design, inefficiency of the drive train, shocks, lack of adjustability.

The Pro Radiant we improved in all of the areas of the Radiant's weak areas. More improvement of the drive train was needed and I would have liked to have seen more adjustability.

The Boost was very similar to the Pro Radiant. Although we did make some changes to the Pro Radiant during production that maybe the Boost did not get.

The Boost was never imported as a kit. We imported the Boost body and sold it as a hop-up. So it was never raced under that name in the US.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

For those who wanted pictures from Mike, here ya go......
Attachments
DSC01754.JPG
DSC01755.JPG
DSC01756.JPG
DSC01757.JPG
DSC01758.JPG
DSC01759.JPG
DSC01760.JPG
DSC01761.JPG
DSC01762.JPG
DSC01763.JPG

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I think I finally know what to do with my box'otrash tamiya pot-metal pieces! That's just SICK!!! I wanna take that thing and drive it through Shodog's garage o' parts and polish! Any chance that'll end up on the BST Forum...(half) kidding :wink: :D
- Brian -

My Gallery

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Wow! Some great pics up here yet again! Finaly a closer look at the Boost bodied Pro Radiant that I've Bern searching for. Please extend a big thankyou to Mike also.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

Nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
On the rear of the Mike Pro Radiant, he use the RC10 hub carrier and Wheels and a hand made toe in part...
Why the RC10 wheel and hub , and the hand made toe in is better than the washers with alloy post on the rear ?
Thanks for the pics :D

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Jeff, I can't remember if you and I talked about this in our email exchange, but do you have access to either a new or used Pro Radiant body?
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

I'll take that pro radiant body in the middle :D looks sweet

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

prp wrote:Nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
On the rear of the Mike Pro Radiant, he use the RC10 hub carrier and Wheels and a hand made toe in part...
Why the RC10 wheel and hub , and the hand made toe in is better than the washers with alloy post on the rear ?
Thanks for the pics :D
The hub carrier allowed for more "dogbone scrub" which basically gives more suspension control to throttle input. Makes the rear suspension more stable specially on smoother tracks.

The rear toe block was made that way just to tie things together better. Bottom chassis to side chassis. You may have also noticed the carbon fiber angle pieces that tie the bottom to side chassis eliminating the bottom chain guide.