Build your 6-gear Tranny with Jim Halsey

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SteveK
Approved Member

Re: Build your 6-gear Tranny with Jim Halsey

Post by SteveK »

I've never actually handled a 6-gear tranny. After reading this I don't think I'd want to.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Sorry guys, I'm on vacation, home alone and bored. :mrgreen: The Stealth in my oval truck spins 8.42 seconds without wheels or tires(just grabbing the slipper and spinning like a top). I've gone thru it hundreds of times over the past 20+ years and I don't think one could get much smoother except maybe with Acer bearings or something. Anyone have one handy they can test? Mine makes a very light clicking noise which = drag, but very little. Just curious. By the way, I personally will not pay for any of those crazy high priced bearings. Has anyone actually tested them in a controlled environment? I think they're like Monster audio cables: just overpriced for those uninformed that think they just have to have the best. :roll:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

SteveK wrote:I've never actually handled a 6-gear tranny. After reading this I don't think I'd want to.
I'm with you on that one. I seem to remember back in the day when RC10's were kicking butt & taking names, and I was considering a second car after my Frog, I contemplated an RC10...but something about it seemed overly complex and put me off. The original manual was 66 pages long and 15 pages were devoted to the tranny alone (learned that after some Google research). :shock:

Needless to say, I ended up going 4WD with an Optima. And people accused THAT car of being complex! :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

It seems complicated, but it's actually a pretty simple design; in fact, I think the 6 gear is easier to put together than the stealth with all those ultra tiny diff balls :D . The problem was the quality of the manufactured parts; you couldn't just slap it together like a Tamiya or Kyosho trans and expect it all to work well. The original 6 gear took a lot of work like filing, deburring, aligning, etc. to make smooth, but once you did, it ran great.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

ROH73 wrote:It seems complicated, but it's actually a pretty simple design; in fact, I think the 6 gear is easier to put together than the stealth with all those ultra tiny diff balls :D . The problem was the quality of the manufactured parts; you couldn't just slap it together like a Tamiya or Kyosho trans and expect it all to work well. The original 6 gear took a lot of work like filing, deburring, aligning, etc. to make smooth, but once you did, it ran great.
x2

A well maintained 6 gear outspins a Stealth. Not sure why. :? You think it'd be opposite. More rolling mass from all the gears maybe?? I worked at the LHS in high school and made a lot more money building kits for people than I did by the hour in the shop. A lot of people didn't know how or were just too lazy. Worked out great for me. Got to build kits I couldn't afford and made a few bucks! :mrgreen: I always loved when some newbie wanted an RC10. Easy money. 8) $35 :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Got to build kits I couldn't afford and made a few bucks! :mrgreen: I always loved when some newbie wanted an RC10. Easy money. 8) $35 :lol:
Ahh, I made $50 building cars (mostly Tamiyas) when I worked at a LHS back in the 80's. But then, figure in the Canadian exchange rate--I guess we made about the same amount. :D
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i had a 6 gear that spun for like 8 minutes...........

....... then the battery died. :(

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Coelacanth wrote:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Got to build kits I couldn't afford and made a few bucks! :mrgreen: I always loved when some newbie wanted an RC10. Easy money. 8) $35 :lol:
Ahh, I made $50 building cars (mostly Tamiyas) when I worked at a LHS back in the 80's. But then, figure in the Canadian exchange rate--I guess we made about the same amount. :D
Just think...if we'd saved that money we made for 4-6 hours of work, we could pool our money together and buy a tank of gas! :lol:
Ken

clhuke64
Approved Member

Post by clhuke64 »

I downloaded this article and I'm stuck at #21. Why do you put a 4x40 screw through the diff hub - is that to turn your diff into a posi-track ??? I did everything up to that point - I get about 7-10 seconds of spin out of the diff.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

To keep the friction to a minimum and don't bother pinning the ring just super glue it.

This is all very interesting!

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

Thanks for posting this article...

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

clhuke64 wrote:I downloaded this article and I'm stuck at #21. Why do you put a 4x40 screw through the diff hub - is that to turn your diff into a posi-track ??? I did everything up to that point - I get about 7-10 seconds of spin out of the diff.
on #21 it's the same as if you would of put in a roll pin, or whatever. the 4-40 screw looks to be a more beefier option. the reason for it...it's to prevent the diff rings from spinning. if they're spinning the diff ain't doing what it was intended to do. there are d-rings, hex rings, and others that do the same but without the pin.

the reason why you are getting 7-10 seconds of spin could be a couple of things. one thing is the bearings. i noticed that when you buy a better bearing for the diff the bearing spins much more than your 1 dollar bearing. also check your gear mesh on both sides. don't beat on or twist your spine plate. it's crucial to proper gear mesh. i could probably go through a couple before i get the gear mesh i'm happy with.

clhuke64
Approved Member

Post by clhuke64 »

I would like to thank both a01butal and littleVETTE for there feedback, my new question would be what should the gear mesh be on both sides ???? I used a caliper when I set up the shafts on the gear plate and they were equal.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

clhuke64 wrote:I would like to thank both a01butal and littleVETTE for there feedback, my new question would be what should the gear mesh be on both sides ???? I used a caliper when I set up the shafts on the gear plate and they were equal.
it should be enough to slip a thin piece of paper through. keep in mind that both sides are going to be equal. if you have one side rougher than the other it's because one the pivots is slightly crooked.

my best advice would be to read pages 3 and 4 over and over that way you get it right. when you take away from the spine plate only take away a little at a time til you get right. if you have to, debur the pivots as well, clean them up good.

some people just blast through the instructions and end up with a tranny that is rough. they get all mad and wonder why they bought the buggy, or ask why their friends car is faster. be patient with the tranny, it'll make you appreciate the buggy more.

clhuke64
Approved Member

Post by clhuke64 »

littleVETTE,
Thanks again for the imput, Like I said before I'm a RC pilot and this RC-10 gold pan is a whole new learning curve for me. I think that I have the tranny a little more loose than what I should have it. I will just keep at it until I'm happy with the way it works

Thanks