WC1982's 1/10th scale thread

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: WC1982's 1/10th scale thread

Post by Ruffy »

This is a very cool thread Kent. Your cars and knowledge stems back to before my beginning in RC. I love the photos and stories behind the scenes. Very nice thread.
I wasn't much of an on-road guy but raced a few of the big races when they were here in town, like Nationals, both on-road and oval at Lake Whipporwill. Even though I was an Associated driver, at the Whip I used to pit in the trailers put up by Composite Craft or TRC. Kim always took good care of me, and had me in there with drivers like Joel Johnson, Andy Dobson and others. This was always OK for Gene and Mike as I worked for Composite Craft, and I wasn't really an on-road guy. I actually worked with Joel and Jim helping them finalize designs on their on-road cars, which were eventually made by us and sold by Trinity.
Andy Dobson really helped me with my RC10L oval car setup for Lake Whipporwil raceway, but I never spent more than an one or two days max. on the track. The car drove great and I finished second in a big race there but can't remember what main, it was very low though. I guess I was more of an off-roader. The car speed at the Whip were impressive!
The Whip's location is about 30 min from my home, and I used to go there to race off-road on this huge track layout they made (too big but you know Bob Hosch! He does everything BIG!). Bob was definitely the master of ceremony, and a great promoter.
Good times indeed.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

WC1982 wrote:I built an RC10 that I used at an indoor short-track paved oval called One-Stop Raceway in Los Alamitos, CA. My buddy Shawn Ireland and I used to go there for weeknight oval races. The track was very short and the lap times were only about 4 seconds. The surface was banked and kinda bumpy so it really kept you on your toes. I still clearly remember watching the car lean into the corner with the RC10 suspension soaking up the bumps, cranking hard left around the banking, weaving through the traffic lap after lap. That was some of the most fun I ever had racing. The winner would get "Race Bucks" that we used to buy our Pactra spray cans. We painted a lot of bodies for big races, so those Race Bucks were important!
I raced at One Stop when it was dirt oval/offroad, and still went once it was a paved soup bowl...Man I miss running like that. IIRC, "nascar" was gearbox either 7 cell stock or 6 cell mod (6 cell and motor of choice was a 13X3 Red Label Twister, in my 5 link Losi, T-bird body done up in Mark Martin dark blue Folgers). Wow...how did I miss this thread?
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Richieflax
Approved Member

Post by Richieflax »

Just came across an old (but never worn) t shirt from an Orlando trip in 1990, gutted to hear it has gone :(

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I went there many times, Lake Whippoorwill Speedway. It is about 20 min from where I live but now it is just an orange grove.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

Ruffy wrote:This is a very cool thread Kent. Your cars and knowledge stems back to before my beginning in RC. I love the photos and stories behind the scenes. Very nice thread.
I wasn't much of an on-road guy but raced a few of the big races when they were here in town, like Nationals, both on-road and oval at Lake Whipporwill. Even though I was an Associated driver, at the Whip I used to pit in the trailers put up by Composite Craft or TRC. Kim always took good care of me, and had me in there with drivers like Joel Johnson, Andy Dobson and others. This was always OK for Gene and Mike as I worked for Composite Craft, and I wasn't really an on-road guy. I actually worked with Joel and Jim helping them finalize designs on their on-road cars, which were eventually made by us and sold by Trinity.
Andy Dobson really helped me with my RC10L oval car setup for Lake Whipporwil raceway, but I never spent more than an one or two days max. on the track. The car drove great and I finished second in a big race there but can't remember what main, it was very low though. I guess I was more of an off-roader. The car speed at the Whip were impressive!
The Whip's location is about 30 min from my home, and I used to go there to race off-road on this huge track layout they made (too big but you know Bob Hosch! He does everything BIG!). Bob was definitely the master of ceremony, and a great promoter.
Good times indeed.

Yep, great times at the Whip. Whatever happened to Dobo?

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

Richieflax wrote:Just came across an old (but never worn) t shirt from an Orlando trip in 1990, gutted to hear it has gone :(
Cool Whip shirt designed by Frank Pupello Jr. Thanks for posting!

marty slater
Approved Member

Post by marty slater »

why did this stop a lot of great pictures an information
marty

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Pretty crazy to think...we are back running on Velodrome tracks again in SoCal :) Now with brushless and lipo - OMG we have to do lots of things to keep them on the ground. Not to mention slow them down. Watched a 'test' speed run car hit sub 7 second lap times.

I agree, this thread has so many great discussions and pictures...wish it would continue.

Would love a stop by from some of the guys who ran them back then (some of the racers are the same guys as back then too!) Next race is February 18th in Encino.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com