Posting pictures?

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scout guy

Posting pictures?

Post by scout guy »

Well my nib RC10t should be on my front porch, and my wonderful girlfriend is going to bring it up to the physical rehab center that I'm at. You can read about that story in my other topic in this section but would like to post some pic's later just need to know how?

Thanks, Tony
B4-T4-SC10-RC8-B44-Slash 4x4-Baja 5b-SCX10-SCX10 Honcho-RC10t

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: Posting pictures?

Post by Halgar »

When you "Post a Reply", below the topic title is a row of buttons. Click the one that says "Img" and paste the web address of the image between the code brackets. When you do it, you'll understand.

If you want to upload from your hard drive, if you look below the "Post a Reply" box you'll see a bright orange bar with "Upload Attachment". You use this area to browse your computer, select the image, and upload it. You can do multiple images in a single post, but you have to attach them individually. It is also noteworthy to add that if you're trying to post the images in a chronological order, you have to start with the last image first and work your way backwards with attaching them. For example, if you've got image #1 thru #10, you'd start with #10, then #9, then #8, and so on.

Lastly, please resize images to no more than 700 or 800 wide to make viewing them easier. There are quite a few freeware image programs, as well as online pichosts that offer resizing software. Infranview is one of the more popular ones.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

once you click "post reply" or "post new topic" you can scroll down and click "browse" under upload attachment
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (46.98 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (46.98 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
it will open up a window so you can select the image you would like to upload. select the image and then click "open"
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (55.44 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (55.44 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
once you have done that you will need to click "add the file"
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (49.43 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (49.43 KiB) Viewed 8698 times

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

you will have a window open while the file is uploading. once the file finishes uploading that window will close and the page will refresh.
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (60.2 KiB) Viewed 8696 times
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (60.2 KiB) Viewed 8696 times
You can use the "place inline" button to insert your image into your post. **NOTE** if you do not place the image in your post it will automatically show your image(s) at the end of your post. you can also see a little farther down the page where your images is listed under "posted attachments". you can add a file comment or delete the file from here.
Image5.jpg
Image5.jpg (56.88 KiB) Viewed 8696 times
Image5.jpg
Image5.jpg (56.88 KiB) Viewed 8696 times
once you have done all of that and finished your post you can click "preview" if you would like to preview your post or "submit" if you want to submit your post as you normally would. and there you go :)

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

now alternatively you can use an off site hosting company like photobucket.com. most of these places are free to sign up for an account and use. once you signed up for your account you could then upload your images there. then you would use the bbcode they would provide you with. the code would look something like this.

Code: Select all

[img]http://photobucket.com/username/image1.jpg[/img]
you would take that code and copy and paste it into your post.

now here is the problem with using off site pic hosting. a lot of times people forget about all the places that they post pics. they go through their account and delete or move the pics into a different folder. now this in turn deletes your pictures off of the site you had posted them on. this is why if you search older threads on forum sites it is not uncommon for all the pictures to be missing. this is why it is always best to use the on site photo uploader whenever possible. that way 5 years from now users can still see the pics you posted and learn from them or otherwise enjoy them.

ok as spanky stated in his reply there is size limitations for the pics. maybe a mod will post the max dimensions and file size so we know exactly what it is. *hint hint* now these limitations are in place for a few reasons.

1. view-ability. sure your cam may take 3xxx by 2xxx pixel images but come on. my screen resolution is 1600x1000. i don't need to or want to scroll side to side to see a larger than life pic. snapshot size 640x480 or 800x600 is more than acceptable to show what ever you have to show.

2. connection speed. not everyone has access to high speed. some of us can not get high speed internet if we had to. it is just not available everywhere. so respect the dialup users and shrink those 1 - 10 mb pics to something smaller. nothing worse or more insulting to a dialup user than a thread that states "56k f*** off".

3. bandwidth usage. this is sorta the same as #2 but it has to deal with the site hosting the picture for you. the site owner pays for their hosting and they are allowed x amount of bandwidth. if they go beyond that allowed amount the host could block all access to the site or charge the site owner outrageous fees for going over that limit. so respect for the site you are hosting the images on and size them down.

lets see.. there are a lot of programs out their to size down images. heck windows computers come with a program called "paint" that will do it. but that program is very limited on it's abilities. if you are on windows xp do a google search for "ms powertoys image resizer". install it and then highlight the pic or pics you want to resize on your computer. right click and go to "resize pictures". select the size you want and click ok. then it resizes all the pics and saves the smaller pics something like image(small).jpg into the same folder as the original. it will not overwrite the originals by default. but it can be set to under the advanced options.

beyond that my personal choice is coral paint shop pro. it is great for anything that you would like to try to do with your images. though it wont resize 1000 images in the matter of a couple seconds like the ms powertoy image resizer will.

there is a lot of other programs that you could also use to resize images. a google search for "image resizer" will help you find more than a few.

ok maybe a mod could sticky this thread for others wondering how to post pictures since it is a question that does get asked once in a while.

hope this helped. and yes as you can tell i was bored. :roll: :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I'll throw in a quick windows paint tutorial. I believe the limit for images is 250KB or so, you can tell in that when the 'working' download window is complete, there will be no attachment.

if you use a typical camera with a setting of around 1-2MB per image, this works very well.

open the file in paint, select the 'image' dropdown, and highlight 'stretch/skew'.

In the X and Y fields, set the percentages to 50%. Then save the file as a JPEG format. this will significantly reduce the image memory without degrading the image a great deal.

if the image is still too large, resize the image again, check the file size first, something near 250KB would only need to be scaled a small percent, say 10%.

scout guy

Post by scout guy »

Ok got pic's up and working this morning I tried last night but way to sleepy with pain meds but this morning I figured it out they are posted in the truck section and will post as build goes froward thanks for all the help.

Tony
B4-T4-SC10-RC8-B44-Slash 4x4-Baja 5b-SCX10-SCX10 Honcho-RC10t

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

This is great information, this should be a sticky!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'm gonna move this into the "rules forum".

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Is there any way to post pics directly from your phone or tablet? Specifically Android if that matters.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Can some one update this please. For the life of me I can't post a saved picture from my computer, and not sure what I am doing wrong.

Pyxster
Approved Member

Post by Pyxster »

slotcarrod wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:36 pm Can some one update this please. For the life of me I can't post a saved picture from my computer, and not sure what I am doing wrong.
You can use sites like https://postimages.org/ and get a link to the image from there to post in here

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I don't have time at the moment to do a picture tutorial but here's the short version. The following is using a Windows desktop computer so it will of course be different for other devices.

When you're creating a new post, underneath the left side of the text box it says Options and Attachments.

Click on Attachments.

You can upload images two different ways. You can either click and drag them into the text box or click on the little Add files button. The button is also underneath the left side of the text box.

Once you click that, a window will open up on your computer. Navigate to where the image you want to upload is, and double click on it or single click and then click open.

When you do that, your image will upload to the site. Repeat the process for all the images you want to add to your post.

It will display the file(s) you've uploaded underneath the text box.

Finally you have two options. You can simply submit the post, and it will add the images to it automatically but it bunches them together, and is not the preferred method.

The better way is to click the Place inline button next to the image filenames, as that allows you to place them in your post however you like.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Could it be the size that doesn´t meet the requirements? (to big)
Gone fishing

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

slotcarrod wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:36 pm Can some one update this please. For the life of me I can't post a saved picture from my computer, and not sure what I am doing wrong.
The first thing I'd suggest with any odd website-related issue like this is to try a different browser and see what happens. If you're using Chrome, try Edge or Firefox. That would at least let you know if the problem was a browser issue (files "stuck" in cache). If you can upload with a different browser, something in the old browser was the culprit...and I'd clear the cache.

If it doesn't work in other browsers, your firewall could be blocking the upload.

Lastly, although I don't think this is the case, image filesize could be the issue, but I find this site lets people upload fairly large, hi-res pics so assuming you're only uploading one, I don't see this potentially being the problem.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3