Forum News & Discussion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Re: Forum News & Discussion

Post by LowClassCC »

another thread on this. http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=479996#p479996

It seems some people are having issues clearly seeing different colors on different devices. IMO a fix for this would be to just have all available themes enabled for users to choose what works best for them. Due to all devices displaying differently due to type of device, screen size, eye sight, and their system settings, this would be a great option. The base setting should be whatever looks best in the eyes of our owner, but shouldn't be limited to a single or even 2 options. Maybe even a white background option for the ones that may prefer that even.

It boils down to user preference. Not everyone here is RC10 guys. Some like Losi, Kyosho, ect. We don't all have to agree on a single point but we can all have choices. :D

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

avatars looking good on android nougat phone...
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I tried the black, but the notification that someone is currently online was a little...disruptive :lol:

This is on iPhone
Attachments
D629FFDA-55BA-4A0B-88E3-CCB5095EBA6C.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

On my end (using Firefox in Linux desktop) the Black theme has a problem displaying avatars...they all appear as blue boxes with question marks...and the options to turn them off, or move them left/right, doesn't seem to work at all.

Also, only as a suggestion, it might look a bit better to break off post author as a separate column again now that the forum is back to displaying at full screen width. There seems to be a lot of empty space between the post's title and the thread page counts.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

GoMachV wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 am I tried the black, but the notification that someone is currently online was a little...disruptive :lol:

This is on iPhone
Odd that it shows me as online at all since I have that set to hidden.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

If it's possible to change individual colors in a theme, then maybe the blue could be made a little lighter?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Phin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:04 am
GoMachV wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 am I tried the black, but the notification that someone is currently online was a little...disruptive :lol:

This is on iPhone
Odd that it shows me as online at all since I have that set to hidden.
You don't show up at the bottom of the page where is shows who all is online. But it will on your posts. The old layout did the same thing.

I always know when you hidden guys are on, no matter what your settings are. :mrgreen:

RC10Talk
Approved Member

Post by RC10Talk »

I might have the custom gold image pack for the old version of this theme, Ill look around...

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

RC10th wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:31 am For the mobile guys is there going to be a "PC version" available?
You mean a version specifically for mobile? This AcidTech style is more suited for larger screens such as PC but should shrink down somewhat for mobile use.
LowClassCC wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:53 am I like both better than the old one mostly. I did like the narrower fixed with of the lime board though. Between the new choices I have chose the Black. Acidtech is such an old theme used on so many sites I have gown tired of it. Thanks for all the work you have done and I cant wait to see whats next.
All the styles for phpBB are old and tired along with phpBB itself. The problem is there isn't much to choose from that would fit the theme of this place. I'd like to convert RC10Talk to modern commercial forum software sooner than later. It's a discussion we're going to have to have.
Lonestar wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 am I respect the work behind this for sure :) I'm struggling to read blue on black (as opposed to lime green, for instance) though... :cry:
I'll be installing more styles soon.
scr8p wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:50 am
Lonestar wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 am I respect the work behind this for sure :) I'm struggling to read blue on black (as opposed to lime green, for instance) though... :cry:
Yeah, it's a bit of an issue for me as well. Especially on my phone. But, the hope is to get it back to the orange/gold of the old board...... whether or not that is an option we will have to see.

I'm glad the left side avatars are back though. :wink:
Some styles have the avatars on the left by default. and some have them on the right. I installed a mod that places them on the left no matter what style is installed. I saw a post you made saying you liked the Hexagon style that's orange. That's the one I referred to in my initial post about this saying it's font is messed up. I said that couldn't be fixed but maybe I could fix it if I tried hard enough.
jwscab wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:25 am The blue so far is OK for me. The other theme with the red on black/grey is tougher though.

the left side avatars look good on PC, it looks like they are on top on phone. Is that my phone setting or due to mobile layout? doesn't bother me just curious.
That I couldn't tell you as all devices render the graphics differently. I think the issue is phpBB, and it's styles aren't very mobile friendly as they came out at a time when those devices didn't exist.
LowClassCC wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 am another thread on this. http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=479996#p479996

It seems some people are having issues clearly seeing different colors on different devices. IMO a fix for this would be to just have all available themes enabled for users to choose what works best for them. Due to all devices displaying differently due to type of device, screen size, eye sight, and their system settings, this would be a great option. The base setting should be whatever looks best in the eyes of our owner, but shouldn't be limited to a single or even 2 options. Maybe even a white background option for the ones that may prefer that even.

It boils down to user preference. Not everyone here is RC10 guys. Some like Losi, Kyosho, ect. We don't all have to agree on a single point but we can all have choices. :D
I completely agree. I will be installing more styles. That way people have more of a choice. As a matter of fact I will post the link to where they all are and you can all decide on which ones to try.

This is on iPhone
You don't seem to be alone on that which tells me that style isn't very mobile friendly. I will try clearing the cache of the board to see if that helps.
Phin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:02 am On my end (using Firefox in Linux desktop) the Black theme has a problem displaying avatars...they all appear as blue boxes with question marks...and the options to turn them off, or move them left/right, doesn't seem to work at all.

Also, only as a suggestion, it might look a bit better to break off post author as a separate column again now that the forum is back to displaying at full screen width. There seems to be a lot of empty space between the post's title and the thread page counts.
Like mentioned above, there must be a problem using that style with mobile devices. I'll be installing more for a broader selection.
Bill Krueger wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:39 pm I might have the custom gold image pack for the old version of this theme, Ill look around...
The goldish orange version of this style was called AcidTech Tiger. Unfortunately nobody has updated it to work with the current version of phpBB. I know you had it as the default for years.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I mean to view the PC version from a mobile device. The old gold board you could, the newer boards you cant.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

That's something I'll have to check into.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I installed a mod to automatically check off the "Remember me" box upon login. This way you don't have to remember to. There's nothing worse than composing a long post only to lose it upon submission because the board automatically logged you out.

A Private Messenger status bar mod which gives you a visual representation of how full your inbox is.

I also coded the advertisement back into the top of the board. Please either disable your ad blockers or whitelist this site so that they may generate the ad revenue to help keep this place going. I installed a donation tracker as well.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I own the old Sassy Chassis company domain name, and also the R.C. Pro-Am video game one. I've pointed them both here, so now when you use sassychassis.com or rcproam.com, they will bring you to RC10Talk! They should help increase traffic a little bit as an added bonus.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Oh wow, that’s cool 8)

Are you sure you checked the right box for the log in? I’ve had to re-log-in like 6 times in the last 24 hours! Not a big deal but seems backwards for me at least as before it was like once a month or so
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

All the mod does is automatically check the "Remember me" box for you automatically. If you have to continually keep logging in where before the mod was installed you didn't have to, the mod could be at fault. I've disabled it so see if it continues to happen. If it does, then it's possibly something on your end.