Greeks gold pan re re refresh ....

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Re: Greeks gold pan re re refresh ....

Post by NickTheGreek »

As far as the Dhawk parts go.....The caster blocks were pretty perfect. The rear hubs, the same....but the bearings are a tight fit, and I mean tight. You just have to make sure the bearing is perfectly centered, n then start PUSHING DOWN n don't give up if it doesn't seem like you're getting anywhere....They will fit. I actually attempted to get them in by squeezing them in with pliers which didn't work cause the bearing wasn't perfectly centered.....Eventually I pushed them in.
Probably wouldn't be fun trying to get em out.

As far as the wheels....The rear fit great. The front, the bearings are too loose in there. They'll basically drop right in and fall right out.

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Some clear pictures before the electronics were installed......
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

I went for a lil bashing earlier...had a vintage gold pan ready to rock n roll. Velineon, 3s...30/81 gearing.....n I went to this old runway.....I think I got 20 seconds of riding in at most. Too bad I didn't have wings on it...It woulda taken flight right off the runway. Instead, it started cartwheeling. It was over before it started.
I dunno, but lately I've been snapping 1/4" cvd's like my grandmother used to snap Stelladora bread sticks n dip em in her coffee back in the 70's up in the souh bronx.
Those were the good ol days of NY.......When youde walk past the precinct n see a car out front on cinder blocks. Complete chaos. This was great. Now, fuggedaboudit....Now you'll see a flower pot n 20-30 cameras. This is BS.....Heinous.
One of these days I'm gonna take my rc10 n go back to the south Bronx n take a video of it cruising around some abandoned lot off the Bruckner expressway. I'm just worried a brother might get car jacked.
They see the gold tub out there....They'll be reaching right for the pistol.

Excuse the ramble......Those cvd's got me thinking about my grandmother snapping those stelladoras n one thing led to another......

Oh yeah.....the reason I'm posting in here....Took a couple clear pics with the electronics earlier....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pimpin'
pimpin'
Just adding this one in there....Old school rc10
Just adding this one in there....Old school rc10
Snapped, Stelladora style
Snapped, Stelladora style

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi Nick,

Your buggy looks great!

It didn't take me long to realize that every time I ran a 3 cell battery I ended up breaking lots of

parts.

Go back to 7.4 volt battery's and find a good RC track to drive around and enjoy yourself.

Your wallet will be happier.

Cheers, Dave.

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Thanks....

Yeah.....taking an rc10,sticking a 3s in it n putting it on concrete is like taking Ray Rice,sticking him in an elevator n puttin his wife in there....forget about it... i hadnt seen anything like that since Tyson vs Spinks.

i usually do stick to 2s.....it was the runway that made me do it.
it was my fault though. I shouldve eased into it. I just saw that long straight away n turned 12 again.

i was gonna put the 3s in the worlds car with the 5700kv motor but i didnt want to have to make a "my Wolds Car gets mangled.....AGAIN" thread.

i wish there was a track closer to here....or even some packed dirt. its ridiculous. I live in the suburbs and cant find packed dirt.

should be getting the body tomorrow.....gonna paint it white,gold and black... matching the car.
Painting the body is the stressful part. ....n i seem to have a habbit of rushing them, wanting to see the final result and end up messing em up.
im gonna try to do this one right.
......im curious to see how that gold anodized spaz stix paint looks.

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi Nick,

Good luck with the painting, at the moment I am only doing two color paint jobs but hope to get

more adventurous in the future.

I will probably next time try to do a box art on my Championship edition buggy.

The mistake I usually make is painting the body when it is too cold and when peeling masks the

paint along the tape edge pulls up because it has not fully dried.

In winter I now paint one coat dry in front of the heater, apply second coat other wise paint is too

thin, dry in front of heater, but my house did smell badly afterwards and had to air it out. :oops:

I use Tamiya rattle cans and it dries very quickly this way, in summer I just hold it out in the sun for

a while.

Now the paint is dry and when I pull the masks the edges stay nice and crisp.

I use Tamiya masking tape along all the edges and everyday masking tape to fill in large areas.

The Tamiya tape for some reason is good along the edges, I make sure I press it down properly so

paint won't seep under the edge of the tape.

Also back everything with silver paint so the paints not see through and looks better when you

see the body from the inside.

There must be other topics about painting if you need it.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=36413

Cheers, Dave.

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Me....I'll put on a coat...then try to dry it with a blow drier so I can add more coats quickly......That causes problems in itself.
Then i won't tape it right and end up getting paint underneath the tape in spots....

This time, I'm doing it right (I hope) ....washing the body...being carful with hand prints....cleaning the tape residue off the body.....letting each coat dry solid....using good tape ...etc etc
Yeah, I've found tamiya tape to be pretty good too.....

I bought a couple of cheap air brushes and that was a complete waste. I should've just bought a good one the first time out....Right now, I don't feel like spending the money on one so I'm going with spray cans.....

I do have some good ideas / paint schemes that I know would look good.....I just can't put them to an rc car.
(Would take too much practice)
....so I'm just gonna keep it simple.....

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi Nick,

No problems, I was not sure where you were at with your painting, so I just wanted to be of help.

The Tamiya rattle cans the paint dries very quickly if the air temperature is warm enough.

I just used my fan forced heater the last time I sprayed in winter.

I do wash my shells with a mild dish washing solution to get it clean first.

Cheers, Dave.

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Dave, I appreciate the words of advice.....Thank you.

Today the stars kind of aligned. I got rained out from work and got my stuff in the mail from Amain and Exotek....
So I was able to spend some time in "the pit".....

The rc10 body....I'm not even gonna attempt to paint it for a few days.
I started painting the 22 body first, to see how it goes.....An unmitigated mess. At least I started off with the black so if worse comes to worse, I'll just paint the entire car black. Drips under the tape....I was rushing coats....Basically doing everything I said I wasn't gonna do. .....It can be salvaged.....but it's gonna be much more simple than my original attempt.
Can't go wrong all black anyway....
I threw a couple lil bits on the 22 .....Gotta pimp the ride.
The ftw body looks pretty good.
Got what I needed to put my other rc10 back together......Was thinking about using the towers,shocks n turnbuckles from a Worlds car kit I busted open for parts......but that would be kinda senseless.....it would be like making another worlds car......so I'm just gonna put it back as it was out the box for the most part.....threaded rod n all....just with wide white front arms.
My original plan turned into all of this......

A couple pics of the 22 as it stands....
I'm not into Losi......I'm down with AE.....but I gotta give them credit where it's due. They made a nice innovative kit.
Attachments
image.jpg
Nice to be able to get a aftermarket cab back body for a modern buggy.
image.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
image.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Added the brass weights....a couple gold washers...the yellow bits on the shocks n a gunmetal wing mount....
Added the brass weights....a couple gold washers...the yellow bits on the shocks n a gunmetal wing mount....

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Yep I'm a Team Associated guy too!
Cheers, Dave.

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Finished up the 22 for the most part....just gonna add a carbon fiber front tower n dremel two corners on the sv3 speedo to make it fit.....But it's pretty much done.
The body, don't look too shaby considering I went to town on that sumbich with lacquer thinner n a tooth brush. The dentist woulda been lookin at me like "damn, that brothers gettin down".
The little shark looking fin that's white was originally black.....the top of the cab was white .....

Then after I was done, I came home from work the next day n got the bright idea to try n do that window outlining thing in yellow.....an hour later I was going back to town with the lacquer thinner n toothbrush trying to get it all off....then I had to remask the windows n spray the black again that came off while getting rid of the yellow outlining...
Windows got all clouded which kinda kills it.....Brand new paint job n it looks old already ......eh whatever...
Too bad, cause I like how it came out.....just wish it would've been crisp.

Got a viper body for the rc10 ......n that one will be crisp (I hope) ....I'm just gonna have to practice patience n stay away from the lacquer thinner....(that yellow rc10 with the snapped dog bone.....Fuggedaboutit.....that car first got painted red...n went straight in the thinner)

A couple shots of the 22 I took earlier...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Well, I should be wrapping up this thread in a few days....
Just have to paint a body on one, n hook up a new esc n motor in another ....BUT.....the paint...ah man, it's a nightmare

I just got a worlds detonator and a viper body to paint.....I'm not even kidding....Both are sitting outside, one mangled by lacuer thinner and the other one unfinished because ......because it's a freakin mess.
(I went n ordered another viper today)

I was sitting there taping for like 2 hours....and I hate taping.
I paint what I wanted to paint in white...like 4 coats. The next day I spray this Spaz Stix candy gold paint and it soaked its way right through the white. Never mind getting behind the tape, it went beneath the white paint....Lol....
And that was after I mangled the detonator.(which will be all black now)

N the worst thing about it is I like to paint (canvas) in my free time, and I paint for a living. You would think I could paint an rc car.

The detonator....it looks cool in pictures, but up close I'm not digging it that much...don't really like the recess running down the middle of the hood.....With a good paint job, it might be a differnt story.
As far as bodies go, I definitely prefer the protech and viper to the jconcepts bodies, and even the worlds.

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

......Still haven't painted the body ......After ruining two back to back paint jobs I haven't been too enthusiastic about painting this new viper body still in the package.

Been having fun "pimping out" the 22 I posted pics of.....n it's funny, the only reason I even had enthusiasm towards that car was because there was a cab back body that looked good abpvailable for it on the aftermarket.. If the only thing available were these cab foward bodies, I wouldn't have even bought it off my friend even for the steal I got it for.

All the yellow/gold accents I added are rc10 influenced.
The car really does look good though....but...the cab back body is what really makes the car look good n seals the deal.
If it was cab foward, for me at least it would lose all of its appeal......So good looking out to FTW for a job well done. (Although it is a lil flimsy)

A pic of some of my progress on this one.....camera doesn't do it justice...(camera not that great/bad lighting)...n the heinous wiring doesn't help....
When I'm done, I'll take a bunch of good shots in good lighting n try to do the car justice.

Gotta do a couple things to my rc10 too n then I'll throw pics up of all three n show where this thread started n how it ended......It's taking a lil longer than I thought....
Attachments
Just throwing this one in there again cause I think it's a pretty cool pic....Modern car but the pic feels old school.<br />     I'll put this up against a cab foward body any day of the week
Just throwing this one in there again cause I think it's a pretty cool pic....Modern car but the pic feels old school.
I'll put this up against a cab foward body any day of the week
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.77 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
image.jpg

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Went outside...took like 25-30 pics....n basically wasted my time.
All looked good or so I thought, till I put em up on my comp.....I spent half an hour taking blurry pictures....

Attachments
The only pic that came out semi decent...
The only pic that came out semi decent...
image.jpg
All three together....nice n blurry.
image.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
image.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 1910 times

Corsa
Approved Member

Post by Corsa »

Good effort! enjoy your builds, just makes me smile when a grown man feels like a kid again, how cool does it feel? love it!! :lol: