Greeks gold pan re re refresh ....

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Greeks gold pan re re refresh ....

Post by NickTheGreek »

When I got back into rc last fall , I pulled out my rc10 fom the 80's which I never really got to enjoy as a kid and for whatever reason, I got drawn to rc10s.

When I first found this site, it was like a wealth of info ......but the one thing I didn't get, was the "shelf queen" .
My philosophy was "it's an rc car...enjoy it n beat on it".
Then I built the re re kit.....and it looked so pretty, I didn't really wanna beat on it.

Lemme back track for a sec.....when I pulled out my rc10 out of my uncles garage after 25 years, I didn't know how to get it up n running....meanwhile all it probably needed was new electonics. I took it to a hobby shop around here for them to get it up and running.....and not knowing what I know know (before I found this site) I committed a sin.....I told the brother to make a lipo fit n he drilled two new holes in the tub for the battery cup. (N the chassis had not a scratch) ....

That's going back to my philosophy of "it's an rc car...enjoy it,beat on it"
So I rode it a few times.....

Then I found this site and ever since I've been like "why did I tell him to make a lipo fit n drill th holes...what a moron"

Forget bashing.....that thing belongs on the shelf.....n it's been on the shelf ever since.

Right at that time I came to find out the re re was out n was lucky to find one at my hobby shop (a different shop) cause it seems they were sold out everywhere.

So I built it.....n I bashed it......BUT.....my philosophy has changed....A brother needs a shelfer.
Now I get it.

Since it (re re) wasn't in bad shape...just some scratches on the nose plate n the back of the chassis was a lil busted up, I figured I'd buy a new chassis, nose plate and a couple other lil "bits n doodads" n hook it up as best I can. (N thn just build a beater on the old chassis)
No custom stuff or modifications cause I'm not there yet as far as that goes.....Just with whatever parts are available and direct fits...

I just realized the pizza shop closes in 20 minutes .......I'll throw some pics of the before and the start of the after, in a few after I take down 4-5 slices.....

N good looking out to Scrap8,Gomachv, JkRacing n all the other brothers for the help along the way.

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Re: Greeks gold pan re re refresh ....

Post by NickTheGreek »

......now that the pizza's out of the way.....back to business....
Attachments
Right after I built it
Right after I built it
With the body on....soon after I built it..<br /><br />I like that pic.
With the body on....soon after I built it..

I like that pic.
Not too shabby.....but the back is a lil busted up...especially by the screws that go into the motor plate
Not too shabby.....but the back is a lil busted up...especially by the screws that go into the motor plate
You could see some of the scuffs on the nose...
You could see some of the scuffs on the nose...

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Now to the refresh .....

Like I said, the plan is to make a shelfer out of that car and use it's old chassis for a beater.....

Attachments
Nothing's easy.....<br />The FIRST thing I went to do to start my &quot;new&quot; build was remove the nose tubes. <br />   ....with the first turn of the Allen driver, the screw stripped. Went to the other side,same thing. <br />  I tried a few things, didn't work....so I just broke em off....ah yeah babe....<br />  Ey,when you wanna build, you wanna build.<br />    But it started off all wrong.....I actually had to get up, light a smoke, get my coffee n tell myself that this isn't supposed to be frustrating...it's supposed to be enjoyable.<br />After that, I was good to go.
Nothing's easy.....
The FIRST thing I went to do to start my "new" build was remove the nose tubes.
....with the first turn of the Allen driver, the screw stripped. Went to the other side,same thing.
I tried a few things, didn't work....so I just broke em off....ah yeah babe....
Ey,when you wanna build, you wanna build.
But it started off all wrong.....I actually had to get up, light a smoke, get my coffee n tell myself that this isn't supposed to be frustrating...it's supposed to be enjoyable.
After that, I was good to go.
A pic of the old nose
A pic of the old nose
That's where I left it off tonight...<br />   I got a NIP Andys front arms a couple weeks ago on the bay...Figured this was gonna be the best place for them.<br />   Got the Dhawk caster blocks....Figured the white ,gold/white gold would look alright between the the shocks n the caster blocks and arms...<br />.... n the nuts on the towers <br />    Just trying to decide  which ball cups I wanna use. Have the associated on one side n the j concepts on the other. (Any opinions?)<br />  Same with the e clips...got black on one side and silver in the other.<br />   .....n that's about it so far
That's where I left it off tonight...
I got a NIP Andys front arms a couple weeks ago on the bay...Figured this was gonna be the best place for them.
Got the Dhawk caster blocks....Figured the white ,gold/white gold would look alright between the the shocks n the caster blocks and arms...
.... n the nuts on the towers
Just trying to decide which ball cups I wanna use. Have the associated on one side n the j concepts on the other. (Any opinions?)
Same with the e clips...got black on one side and silver in the other.
.....n that's about it so far
That's just showing the Dhawk wheels I plan on using.....(and for those wanting to see an actual photo of them).<br />   They're brighter in person....this ipad doesn't take the best pics.
That's just showing the Dhawk wheels I plan on using.....(and for those wanting to see an actual photo of them).
They're brighter in person....this ipad doesn't take the best pics.

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

.....working on the rear.... (I'm Greek....that's the best part, workin on her rear....ah yeah babe)
Wish I had some gold and silver countersunk washers.....could always throw those on later though.

I think I'm gonna get an aluminum tranny case for this one down the road.....probably sooner than later
Attachments
image.jpg

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

......gettin there
Attachments
image.jpg

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

........just a lil more to go....
Still undecided about the ball cups in the front
....I'm curious to see how it will look with the wheels when it's done.

This stuff is addictive....(and getting expensive)
Coke fiends got it cheap.

Edit: I'm thinking I'll end up going with the JC racing 5 spoke wheels in black (which I don't have ....I have like 7 sets in white.i don't know how that happened. Do those rims take dye??). I think it will look cool to be able to see the gold caster blocks between the spokes.

......Probably will end up using ( already thinking ahead) the Dhawk wheels on the Worlds car shelfer....lol....
I'm just lol'ing to myself cause a few months back the idea of a shelfer seemed kinda senseless....
Attachments
image.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I have some JC wheels and I wouldn't try dying :( they seem like more plastic than nylon. If anything it might muddy it up but I don't think it will take
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

The remains of what I started with.....
This ones up next. Probably over the weekend....n it will get beaten bad. Real bad.

........that's it for now.

Should be done with this build tonight.....not much more to do.
Attachments
image.jpg

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

gomachv wrote:I have some JC wheels and I wouldn't try dying :( they seem like more plastic than nylon. If anything it might muddy it up but I don't think it will take
I had a feeling about that....
Well, being I have a bunch of white sets and I won't be running it...maybe I'll try that krylon spray paint made for plastic on one of them n hope for the best...

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

That should work great
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

I was supposed to go do a small spackle/paint repair this morning.....A brother called up n cancelled so I can play with my car....This is heinous. :D

Gotta do another repair in a few hours.....depending on how it goes I might have to cancel that one too.....Kinda want to start working on the beater n get a lil bashing in.....anyway...

Went with the AE ball cups....they were more subtle. ....and kinda accentuate the turnbuckles in there own way compared to the beefier bright white jconcepts ones.....at least on this particular car to me.

........my latest progress....all that's really left are the antenna, a couple of screws, changing a couple e clips to black....throw a motor in there...n I'll probably put the white rpm gear cover for now....Definitely wanna find a clear gear cover that will fit down the road........and being that it's gonna be sitting on a shelf, the vts slipper is a must (which I'll throw on in a few). I don't want the shelf to tax the drive train.....
......n I gotta get a new body...

All in all....A brothers having fun...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

I ordered some gold counter sunk washers from Dynamite.....I want them for at least two of the screws on the shock tower....but I have a feeling the "gold" might look cheesy , kinda like what youde see on the inside of a cabinet.....In hind sight, I should've ordered the orange anodized ones from Dhawk. ... Those would definitely look better on the shock tower and in unison with the color of the pan/shocks compared to a common (light) gold hardware color. ...at least that's what I'm thinking. I'll find out when I get em
The servos coming off n going back on the beater.

.....n talking about the beater....I guess that's the one getting refreshed n this was/ismore of a new build.....
I don't know how much of a re fresh that's gonna be cause I stripped it of all the "fancy stuff to throw on the shelfer.
One good thing about throwing on aftermarket stuff on your car.....You end up with spares.
So that's what I'm using.

......I boughtt new gold shock bodies and caps, but I don't think I'm gonna use em.....Since I opened up one of my world cars for chassis screws ,a battery cup , antenna ,n a couple other things for the shelfer, I'll probably use the v2 shocks on this.....I dunno.

This is where this ones at.....
(Ended up getting the busted nose brace tubes off with a pair of vice grips n a lil finesse)
Trying to decide on the rear shock tower. The front one is what it is, that's all I have.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Even though it's gonna be a shelfer..(eh it might do a couple laps in the parking lot)...it gotta get fitted with some electronics...n I think I found em.

A friend of mine had bought a tlr 22 2.0 over the winter with plans of starting to race .....He just never found the time.
N when building the diff (first time kit builder) he forgot to add black grease on the thrust bearings, so the car never even got rode. (Took it apart today n noticed it)
So just messing around I go to him yesterday "you wanna sell the 22" n he goes "as a matter of fact ,yeah" .....

Check out this deal......
A basically brand new 22 2.0 ......a Tekin gen2/17.5 combo (with the hot wire still in the package)....a spektrum s6040 servo and 4 track power 6000mah 90c batteries ...all for 200 bucks.
A deal I couldn't refuse .

Anyway, I don't race so I don't really need a 17.5t motor......so the tekin combos gonna go in the shelfer.....at least for now...
It might be made for the shelf.....but that brother will be ready to come off the shelf if needed n tear it up.(too bad it wasn't a 6.5t)
I just gotta get a soldering gun ....n hope I don't mess up.
.....that red motor is gonna look good back there along with the white gen2 esc matching with the white on the pan....

Here's a pic of my score.....(more money spent....it don't stop)
Attachments
image.jpg

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Pretty much finished the sumbich.....Just gotta paint the body which is somewhere between here n California right about now....
I need a better camera....n having to make the file size much smaller to fit doesn't help with the clarity...

( I don't know why that "image resize" app , works only when it decides to work....after a couple pics, it stops working)

I knew I shouldn't have picked up that 22 ......The price was AWSEOME....but now I'm blowing money I shouldn't be trying to hop it up.....got a 5700/sv3 for it....the brass weights....the Rtr gear diff....that FTW Blade body.....n today I just ordered a few anodized parts for the shocks...gun metal wing mounts....etc.....A freakin money pit.
N it's a Losi....I kinda feel like a traitor ......
I guess I'll see what a modern buggy is about.....It is a nice car.
Once that's done, I'll throw a couple pics on here.....I think it's gonna look pretty good once it's done....
Minus the electronics.....with all those long wires on the castle system, it's gonna be a mess....not to mention a pain trying to make it fit the way it's configured.....anyway

........n the other rc10 is still n pieces.....

This is like "noobs gone wild"

A couple of pics of the shelfer with the electronics installed.....(it may be for the shelf, but it can ride off it)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

NickTheGreek
Approved Member

Post by NickTheGreek »

Attachments
image.jpg