The great Re-Re-bate

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JK Racing
Approved Member

Re: The great Re-Re-bate

Post by JK Racing »

I am no purist, or shelf collector. I run all my cars (my rere classic is ready for a rebuild and probably a re-anno job soon!) and I mix parts regularly. My re-re runs an original stealth, white truck rear carriers & MIP CVDs. My faux worlds build (pre rere) is all original parts accept the rear arm mounts & small bits from modern cars (B3 shocks, B4 servo mounts, RCCW towers)...

For re-sale, must be truthful. I built up a re-re classic on a new-out of pack graphite chassis, added all original novak electronics, bearings and some chrome wheels (I think they were cox originally, but fit perfect). I was completely honest in my eVilBay listing and the buyer was extremely happy. BUT, I have seen listings where they were not honest at all, even trying to pass the parts off as vintage/originals, but in the new packaging :( not cool.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

I plan on switching a bunch of the parts on my worlds re-re with original parts to make it more like an original including wheels and tires, tranny, shocks etc....

Corsa
Approved Member

Post by Corsa »

For me, It's original, or Re Re. Once you start mixing parts you can't really call original can you? It's only original once. Having said that, if it gets or keeps something on its wheels being used, then I'm ok with that too.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I wonder how much of this is due to the seller genuinely not knowing, or realizing, they're using re-re parts, or whether the seller is genuinely unscrupulous.

For someone who is not in the know, and not on boards like these, they could easily have know idea the car/parts aren't genuinely old.

Joey48442
Approved Member

Post by Joey48442 »

I guess in my mind the only truly original cars you could identify are ones you either bought new yourself, or was still sealed in the box. Who's to say a suspension part from a car made in 1988 wasn't broken and replaced with a new part in 1992? It's not original anymore, but would appear to be...
Having said that, though, I'm really glad someone is keeping this stuff around and original. I have no interest in owning it myself, I'd be to afraid something would happen to it. But I'm glad it's around.

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Personally not very fussy, though I do keep a record of what I used on my builds.. Mostly keep original if possible but not to the extent of original hardware like screws but save ball studs and hinge pins when possible... I have not used the green re re screws though for shelf or runner

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

It's funny, for me, all parts are just parts. :lol: If it fits, I use it. I guess my goal has been more about having a functional, drivable car instead of an era correct build. :lol:

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I'm in this same camp, I really don't care either. If a part breaks on an old car, and someone uses a new part to fix it, it doesn't matter to me. I made my re-re Worlds to *look* like my old car that I had in my mid-teens, but I make no bones about it being built on a new car, with classic vintage electronics. It LOOKS the part, and that's all I care about.

And here's why, when someone stops by the house, they may, or may not, care about my RC cars, and they care even less if it's all original parts. The only person that knows is me. Plus, whether it's a re-re part, or a vintage new part, it's STILL not original to the car, so it's the wrong piece regardless.

The only reason, I think, to do the all-original thing, is if you're hoping to have a gold mine someday.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

RichieRich wrote:It's funny, for me, all parts are just parts. :lol: If it fits, I use it. I guess my goal has been more about having a functional, drivable car instead of an era correct build. :lol:
I think about it exactly the same way, regarding vintage vs re-re PB Mini Mustang parts..... I'll use what I can get, whether they be original or from the re-release.

Oh, wait....... :shock: :oops: :(
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!