Birthday Worlds

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Birthday Worlds

Post by Bubbleboy »

Well, I'm finally one of the cool kids, :lol: A Re-re Worlds for my birthday! Really looking forward to building this. My last RC10 was an '84 Edinger that I purchased that year and I kept for four years. It's funny, when I was going through the parts bags, I don't remember the screws and such being this small :shock:

A couple of questions for you guys;
1) sticking with the box art theme, the tires I need to purchase are Jconcepts Double D's and Rounders, correct? I found one instance mentioning this using Search
2) this car will be a shelf queen and will never be run. Would you fill the shocks with oil? I'd like to avoid a leak, however I have more faith in these shocks and the Tamiya SRB shocks

I can't express how excited I am getting back into this. Such good memories of this car! And with some of he craftsmanship exhibited on this site with modding (especially the 4wd builds), and replicas of winning cars, this will lend itself to lots of builds in my future.

Thanks all
I killed an Edinger...the shame

mikea96
Approved Member

Re: Birthday Worlds

Post by mikea96 »

Nice birthday present! I'm not sure about the tires and as far as the shocks I build my shelter shocks dry except for using the green slime to insert the shock shafts through the orings.

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

mikea96 wrote:Nice birthday present! I'm not sure about the tires and as far as the shocks I build my shelter shocks dry except for using the green slime to insert the shock shafts through the orings.
Thanks! I was thinking the same and only using the slime.

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

If someone could confirm the model of tires, it would be much appreciated.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I would add a couple drops of oil inside the shocks, just to give everything a little bit of lubrication.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Awesome present !!!!

Rounders and Double D's are correct. I personally fill the shocks as I don't like the pogo stick thing, just don't overfill them and you should be fine.

I would also pick up a new top shaft to prevent any glitches during the build. Every rere worlds car that I've built had a bad one.

I look forward to following your build :D
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

What he brought up can be found here about half way down. http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=34024&start=1305

Nice present and welcome back!
Jeff

Fred19K
Approved Member

Post by Fred19K »

Very nice present!

The shock gaskets will last longer if you put oil in them. I have ancient shocks that still have oil in them from decades ago and have not leaked. Besides, the first thing you are going to want to do when you feel the urge to fondle your shelf queen is to press the tires up; much nicer to have that dampened feel.

Make sure you have it elevated off the tires for display/storage or they will develop flat spots and crack over time.

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

Thank you all for your suggestions, and the fixes that appear to be prevalent in this release. I was looking to keep it completely stock, but I think I'll add a couple mods to it to make it function better.

Cheers

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

I'm worried where this might be heading :P . I spent about four hours last night looking at this Worlds Replica post, http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5503. Which lead to the purchase of some Avid bearings and a bunch of hardware from AE.

While I don't have access or the know how to milling machinery and CAD software, we'll give this an honest go.

Stay tuned.....although parts usually get stuck in Canadian Customs for a little bit, so this may take a little longer than one would hope.

Cheers

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Bubbleboy wrote:this car will be a shelf queen and will never be run.
Bubbleboy wrote:I was looking to keep it completely stock, but I think I'll add a couple mods to it to make it function better.
Bubbleboy wrote:I'm worried where this might be heading :P . I spent about four hours last night looking at this Worlds Replica post, http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5503. Which lead to the purchase of some Avid bearings and a bunch of hardware from AE.
Well that didn't take long...all in one thread it went to shelf queen to full blown racing machine and looking to figure out if you can reach 90 mph with it :P . Somewhere on this board there is a thread about addiction on these things...I think this thread sums it up of how easy it is to get addicted.

Nice present and since you have twins shouldn't one have gotten you the worlds and one gotten you the classic :mrgreen:

Welcome back to the cool kids table and have some fun with this thing. Maybe your kids will end up liking it enuf to want their own 8)

Keep updates coming.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

As luck would have it my one daughter has helped a bit with the restore of my Rough Rider. I'll see if I can get her helping with this build too. At some point I'm going to have to build a runner.

So as the research continues, learning about stuff like the Losi Hydra drive kit for RC10s, different hard to come by tires, the thing that is driving me most nuts, is the body post used in Kinwald's car. Is this a custom one off, a machined down AE piece, or some old school post from someone like Parma? Looking through some threads I guess MIP had a custom opaque one, but this black one has me stumped.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

Bubbleboy
Approved Member

Post by Bubbleboy »

Finally had a chance to get into the kit tonite. I filed and countersunk the nose piece,and cut the motor mount. Also cut the chassis down using a metal Dremel cutting wheel. Let's just say the pucker factor was high that it was going to grab and scratch the anodizing, but luckily it didn't.

Picked some NIB front and rear period correct shocks. Found a NIB Houge bellcrank too, just hoping the guy will ship to Canada.

As there was no reply to my body post comment, is there a secret handshake or something for this to become public knowledge :lol: or is it one of the mysteries where something will have to be fabricated from scratch?

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Looking good 8)

sandkil
Approved Member

Post by sandkil »

Bubbleboy wrote:Finally had a chance to get into the kit tonite. I filed and countersunk the nose piece,and cut the motor mount. Also cut the chassis down using a metal Dremel cutting wheel. Let's just say the pucker factor was high that it was going to grab and scratch the anodizing, but luckily it didn't.

Picked some NIB front and rear period correct shocks. Found a NIB Houge bellcrank too, just hoping the guy will ship to Canada.

As there was no reply to my body post comment, is there a secret handshake or something for this to become public knowledge :lol: or is it one of the mysteries where something will have to be fabricated from scratch?
This build is coming along nicely.
Regarding body posts, I think that they are one offs. I built a replica of this car a year back or so.
I put original posts in the lathe. The plastic is a bit too soft, but if you find a harder delrin I think the end result would be excellent.