worlds spur gear wobble problem ?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

lotus74
Approved Member

worlds spur gear wobble problem ?

Post by lotus74 »

hi guys . after building my new rere worlds kit and mounting the motor and pinon .. noticed that the spur gear had a really big wobble .

thought it might been a problem with slipper pads but after taking apart and putting back together the wobble still happening .

could i have a buckled spur gear ? is this a known issue with this kit ?

any advice for me please .

regards . simon
little dab will glue yeah

bully
Approved Member

Re: worlds spur gear wobble problem ?

Post by bully »

No not usually,especially with the dual slipper pad/plate setup. You may have a bent top shaft,try an see if you can spot it rotating out of round...

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Try pressing on the "high" spot on the gear, sometimes the plates can move around and the spring tension holds them there.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

double check that the slipper pads are seating fully in the gear. If they get hung up on the edge, that could make it run funny.

lotus74
Approved Member

Post by lotus74 »

thanks every one .. yes i thought it might be the slipper pads too i did check and refit them making sure they were seated correctly .. still have the wobble . was trying to watch and see if the shaft was the problem am really not sure .

hard to see with the slipper spring rotating look at it long enough and makes go dizzy :roll:

feel like im moaning if i complain to the model shop again . i had a problem with one dog bone drive cup drilled out of center . they were fast to send me a replacement but i needed to send some pictures .. not so easy to send the spur gear wobble in photos . maybe can send video ..

do you think i may have a bent shaft ?

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Take the spur and slipper assembley off and spin and see if the shaft looks bent.

lotus74
Approved Member

Post by lotus74 »

i might get time over the weekend to have a look at the shaft .. thanks guys for the great advice you all been very helpful

regards . simon :D

lotus74
Approved Member

Post by lotus74 »

just ordered a new spur gear see if its fixes the the wobble if its the same then got to be the shaft right ? ..

harvey
Approved Member

Post by harvey »

Yea, or the way the inner clutch disc is driving up against the end of the flats on the shaft. I've never been a fan of this update without a sleeve pressing against the inner race of the upper bearing as a stop, rather than the small sharp edges of the shaft flats. To achieve this you need to drill out the hole in the tranny to clear the spacer. This assembly more closely resembles the way the slipper works in a b4, from whence these parts were adapted.

sandbar782
Approved Member

Post by sandbar782 »

I just built one with my daughter and it's having the same issue. Any resolution to this so far?

Also seems like the topshaft has slop in it.

...and ours came without the felt between the tranny and motor plate so dirt can go right in. What's up with that?

lotus74
Approved Member

Post by lotus74 »

hi sandbar782

i replaced it with a new spur gear and it fixed the problem . think the one that came with the kit had a slight wobble in it i tossed it in the bin ..

i never got the felt in my kit ..

i was very disappointed with the kit i ran it twice in the car park and now it sitting back in its box.

they do say we should never meet our heroes was hoping for so much more .

next time i buy a rc10 am just going to stick to something vintage that i can restore .

hope you get your worlds sorted still very cool buggy and worth owning one at least .

regards . simon

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

None of the rere's came with the dust seal.

As long as the gears mesh OK throughout its rotation, I don't see a wobbly spur being an issue. Just run it. If you burn it up, get another one.

lotus74
Approved Member

Post by lotus74 »

you don't see a wobbly spur being an issue ? well its not to clever really is it . and it shouldn't be wobbling only matter of time till it strips the teeth clean off .. and stops any fun you might of been having . i expect a little more from a new kit . some really poor plastics in this box from new ..

its put me right off from buying the classic re re rc10 .

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

No, I don't see it being an issue. I've run some horrible spurs in my life, like PSE Rocket Sprockets, and never tore up a single one. Unless the motor came loose. :wink:

And what are you options? Buy a new one, or use the one that wobbles and possibly burn it up. Either way, you're buying a new spur. I would've at least given the one from the kit a shot. You had zero to lose.

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

The price is what puts me right off a re re classic. Lateral wobble? Out of round wobble? Weeble wobble? Ribble rabble? Stuff about this hobby puts me off daily, but I keep coming back for more. I had to replace a topshaft that was ever so slightly under diameter which produced an inconsistant mesh when I wiggled the spur/slipper assembly with my fingers. It was highly noticeable with the vehicle at rest while I wobbled the spur gear. Took apart the transmission and the only thing I found was that the shaft was sloppy inside the bearing races. Tried multiple bearings. Still the shaft. I pitched the shaft and went back to a stock shaft. Funny thing though is I ran that thing for months without any issues until I noticed the "problem". Nothing was broken but I had to fix it.

Under power, the spur gear probably found its "drive mesh" and then an off throttle "coast mesh". There was no clicking or ratcheting sounds on or off throttle. So it wasn't even close to grenading when I replaced the shaft. What really blew my mind is that I did not notice that on the initial assemly. We might just be the kind of guys that want everything to be perfect. But sometimes just good enough is the best that it gets. I understand your frustrations.

I try to embrace the flaws common to my preferred vintage brand(s) and find work arounds or sometimes just forgive them and accept the flaws. *Thumbs Up*

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.