----------------------------------------------

March Build of the Month Winner - JohnE

Moderator: scr8p

marlo
Approved Member

Re: **Contest Questions/Comments**

Post by marlo »

scr8p wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:I think it's a good idea to switch it up every few months, as others have said, like having the Truck Month. I would also suggest a DS Month, showcasing the onroad RC10 builds, and also a Pan Car Month, for all the 10th and 12th scale pan cars. With the latter, I'd be able to throw a hat in the ring. :D
That's already planned to happen throughout the year.
romulus22 wrote:This is just a comment, and shows my ADD / impatientness. But now that the monthly contest has been around a few months. Think we can get the voting started a few days quicker? By now people should know that a new month means there is a new poll about to start. If they want to enter they should be able to find the time within a few days. I feel like the last few entries recently are just to speed up the process anyway.
Not everyone logs in here every day. 7 days gives more than enough time for people to enter. Starting the polling sooner is just going to drag out the voting longer and it's going to result in more votes being cast. Going by past contests, there really isn't a mad rush of late votes being submitted.
SFC K wrote:
SFC K wrote:I know that wasn't a RC10 but in all seriousness, maybe limit the number of entries to 5. It would be more competitive with the smaller group of entries. I think the last poll was the closest since you started doing these.
I think this would speed up the process and make for some close battles. 10 entries is a bit high and does not leave enough room to go around for future months.
The thing is, with the amount of AE cars/trucks that have been built on this site over the years, there should be NO shortage of entries every month. But it's like pulling teeth around here to get guys to submit stuff and I really don't understand why.

I think eventually, if it continues to be like this every month, it will get dropped down to 5. Another thing that may happen (if it stays at 10) is allow 2 votes per person, which should help with the blowout like we had this past contest.
Its the painted body thing :mrgreen:

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

I agree not everyone has the time to be on here everyday, but, everyone should know by now a new month means the opportunity to enter their cars. If they really want to enter it takes five min to log on and enter. I just figured less time waiting for entries more time for casting votes.

I've learned the more time you give, the lazier people tend to be. Just my opinion.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I'd be willing to shorten it to a 5 day lock in with 2 more to get pics uploaded, but not any shorter. Speeding up the first part isn't going to get more votes though. Most votes are placed within the first week of polling. After that we can go days without a single vote.

I'll try it next month and see what happens.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

romulus22 wrote:I've learned the more time you give, the lazier people tend to be. Just my opinion.
I kind of agree with this. I think the idea to let people make placeholder posts is actually detrimental to the challenge, because it encourages people with incomplete builds to enter--and then sometimes, their cars won't be ready, or life gets busy, when it's time to upload the money-shots. The contest was doing quite well when people just entered their cars before the deadline. Now with the placeholder entries, it seems you're struggling to get guys to submit their entries on time.

Maybe it should be limited to 6 entries or something, as was mentioned earlier. At least when you have a deadline for entries, people who enter actually add cars to the challenge. When you have placeholders, you end up with a challenge with empty placeholder posts.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

We struggle to get a full card no matter how we do it. The placeholder deal was a suggestion by another member and I said we would try it. I wasn't really happy how last months went down, and there's a good chance I may not like how this month goes either. I'll know tomorrow night.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

The contest for March will be a standard one, no particular model.

I will be changing the duration of the first week. You will have 5 days now instead of 7 to get locked in, have 2 days to get your pics loaded up, and the polling will start on the 7th.

dragon_av3

Post by dragon_av3 »

Sounds good to me!! I love contests 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Just a heads up, April's contest will be for 1/12th scale AE pan cars only. If it doesn't fill up, I may change it to include 1/10th scale as well. But there should be enough 1/12th scale cars on here to cover it.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Look, I know this is RC10talk and all, so I understand the origin of the contest as AE stuff only. However, maybe once in a while we could have a NO AE vehicle restriction?? Or a month where its not LIMITED to AE vehicles? I built an RC10 for nostalgia too, and probably will again one day, but I and some others do focus on certain brands. I appreciate RC10s, Ultimas, Jrx2s, and Cougars. AE is not SPONSORING the site is it? Thoughts?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

One day it will happen, I'm way ahead of you on it. :wink:

Not gonna happen every month though.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Yeah, Jason has to finish his kyosho first!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

What Kyosho?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I think it still has a kyosho bulkhead, does that count? :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

gomachv wrote:I think it still has a kyosho bulkhead, does that count? :lol:
There's actually more Kyosho left on it than you'd think. Chassis, both bulkheads, rear arms, both shock towers, and the rear hub carriers may find their way back on too. I'm also hoping to use a ultima pro body and wing, but I have to get one to see if it will clear the top deck. If not, I may have make a new one and narrow it up around the servo area.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Next months contest is a standard one. Any AE vehicle.