Difference between RC10 original, B2, B3, B4 shocks.....

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tiger1
Approved Member

Difference between RC10 original, B2, B3, B4 shocks.....

Post by tiger1 »

Hi:

I know RC10 has a few shocks designs: the RC10 gold shocks (very early versions) are supposed to have the seals loaded externally from the bottom of shocks and the Worlds car shocks have the seals placed internally from inside of the shocks.

How about the B2 or B3 shocks? Are they like the worlds or like the old gold shocks?
:roll:
Some of you must know a lot in this. :)

Thanks in advance. :D

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Difference between RC10 original, B2, B3, B4 shocks.....

Post by scr8p »

you could get gold toploading shocks, too.

all of the pre 1990-91 associated shocks were externally built, after that, they were all internally built......... no matter what color they were or what car they were on.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Yup; anything with a black cap is the top-loading style. They were put on everything starting with the Team Car and 10T. They come in gold and Teflon-coated gray/green, and now blue anodizing has replaced the gold as the base color.

I read an online review of the SC10 the other day; the reviewer actually said he always had problems building Associated shocks. Huh? Tearing o-rings? News to me, they are among the easiest shocks on the market to build. He also said he couldn't get the truck to handle, so he sold it. Pretty much shows what the rest of his review is worth.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I've read reviews in the past that mention the seals are over squeezed by the white spacer being fractionaly oversize. Personaly I think all the AE dampers are freaking awesome. Never had a problem with any of my AE shocks wether they be top or bottom loaders.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Seriously guys? No problems ever with Associated shocks? No leaking? No build inconsistencies? You can build them the exact same way every time? No O-ring swelling? No plastic clips falling out because of bad body machining? No caps leaking on the top of the original gold shocks? No sloppy piston fit?

Wow, you guys must build shocks way better than me to have never have had a problem with them.

Or, you must not have ever built anything else. IMO, they are the worst shocks on the market in 2010. Everything else out there is a better shock, in my experience. Tamiya, Kyosho, Losi, Schumacher—all make a much better buggy shock. And that's not even including Xray, Serpent, Corally or Mugen shocks, which are all also better build quality and easier to build properly. Go take a look at Kinwald's current cars, and he's not using Associated shocks. There is a big reason for that.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

If you think Associated shocks are the best out there, you should really try building some other company's shocks. ;)

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Thanks for all the info :lol:

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Eau Rouge wrote:Seriously guys? No problems ever with Associated shocks? No leaking? No build inconsistencies? You can build them the exact same way every time? No O-ring swelling? No plastic clips falling out because of bad body machining? No caps leaking on the top of the original gold shocks? No sloppy piston fit?

Wow, you guys must build shocks way better than me to have never have had a problem with them.

Or, you must not have ever built anything else. IMO, they are the worst shocks on the market in 2010. Everything else out there is a better shock, in my experience. Tamiya, Kyosho, Losi, Schumacher—all make a much better buggy shock. And that's not even including Xray, Serpent, Corally or Mugen shocks, which are all also better build quality and easier to build properly. Go take a look at Kinwald's current cars, and he's not using Associated shocks. There is a big reason for that.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

If you think Associated shocks are the best out there, you should really try building some other company's shocks. ;)
OK, I'll PM you with where to send me an example of each of the aforementioned shocks.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Lucky for you, I got rid of all of the crap Associated made for shocks over the last 20 years. Look on any RC forum around the globe and you'll see you are in a minority. If you want to try other shocks, you'll have to get your head out of the sand and buy something without an Associated label on it.

We ran Kyosho Golds or Deltas on RC10s 25 years ago and nothing has changed since then.

The new shocks on the FT SC10 are a big step for Associated. It is nice to see them finally step into the 21st century with shock design, but that won't help their QC in China. They still need some things to be fixed.

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

I've never had a problem with AE shocks seals, best shocks ever in my opinion, such a simple effective design and easy to assemble. Now they had to go and complicate it because people can't follow the instruction manual properly. Do they try installing and removing the seals without the special tool?

Only complaint I have is the stupid unobtainium shafts which snap so easily with no stainless steel option for the B44 front length shafts. I just made SS shafts myself for that though.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

I've always like the Associated shocks-- Way better than the Tamiya shocks I saw on The Wild One! 8)

yeah-- the early gold shocks had HORRIBLE cap gaskets-- I found teflon tape worked *better* but wasn't happy with them until the larger/thicker gasket came out around 1990. The later O-ring sealed caps work great for me.

These latest interior-loaded o-rings were a bit foreign to me at first, but they sure seem to work great. As long as the square retaining clip is in good shape-- they hold forever.

Torn o-rings for me only after heavy dirt, wear, or galled shaft (usually from pliers)

As for the bottom ends (shaft)-- I've had/see ANY shock leak here after enough use-- I currently have a set of the Losi shocks on my crawler that have leaked always.

beat anything long enough and it will leak.. ;)

Since we're sort-of on topic-- what's the deal with the 'spring-jackets'? Are they simply a kids balloon?

EDIT-- just found Shock Socks

`
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10 RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 OIN RC12l

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Jeep-Power wrote: Since we're sort-of on topic-- what's the deal with the 'spring-jackets'? Are they simply a kids balloon?
EDIT-- just found Shock Socks
Yeah, Associated had some 'shock boots' in their catalogue for YEARS, I think they were just balloons with their logo printed on them. Not even trimmed, just regular balloons. I think there is a picture of some NIP ones on here someplace.

Here's mine:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15411

Up front are the skinny balloon-animal ones, in back are the bigger hotdog ones. I have put them over the springs like in your picture, but they wear out where the coils rub against them. I never tried the skinny ones before, but picked up this packet on a whim, looks like it will work out well. Of course the packet I bought has like 30 yellows but only two blues. Now I'll have to look out for bags of one color.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

I agree with doug on most of his points, way back in the day I had kyosho golds, far superior to A.E's offerings of the time. The hard coat team shocks were a step in the right direction, and the nitrided or unobtainium shafts helped a lot. I do think A.E. lacked a lot of Q.C. and detail needed on a shock assembly, even back then. I've had lots of pinched silicone rings due to the maching of the body not matching the stacked height of the spacers and o rings. And have had 2 bodies that were machined so poorly they were unuseable, one front damper on my team car that I bought new in '93 and a .56 body that I purchased off the bay about a year ago. Lots and lots of tight shafts due to poorly molded guide bushings or pistons (I think A.E.'s mold quality on a lot of these small parts really sucks). Recently I purchased a set of VCS2 style A.E. dampers and the aluminum rings that secure the top mount and the bladder would not even thread on to the body, (I narrowed this problem down to the rings and not the bodies as an older set seemed fine on the new bodies).

However, I do agree that A.E. shocks can be comparable with any other manufactures shock if they are painstakingly built, and you pick and choose the best spacers bushings and pistons from a couple rebuild kits while you do it. I put about 1-2 hours to build a set of A.E. shocks from parts to run on a dirt oval car to get the same smoothness and consistency that I'll get spending 20 minutes on a set of HPI, Corrally or IRS shocks.

TUCRACEMAN
Approved Member

Post by TUCRACEMAN »

I'm squeezing my velvets as I read this thread. Sooooo nice. Just built a Cougar SV with the new Big Bores on it. Associated needs to step up.
~D
No, I will not help you with your dorky short course truck…sorry, it’s against my religion. If it's not a 1/10 scale buggy...I don't care.

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

what is the full length (full extension) of the .89" and 1.32" shocks? From center of the top hole to center of the bottom hole? What should I look for size wise in mm?

I know that the B4 is .89 for the front, but what can I use in the rear as a modern 1.32" bodied shock?