Bfast differential rebuild kits B4

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

adam lancia
Approved Member

Re: Bfast differential rebuild kits B4

Post by adam lancia »

They've definitely got some cool stuff, thanks for the link!

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Yeah - I hear you guys!! For many years, I used to sand the plates a well - on a peice of very flat marble, and some fine/superfine sandpaper. I had been doing it since the late eighties (well - since i got a ball diff for my optima back in the day anyway!!). Works "ÖK" but doesnt take much to stuff it up - nor do you ever truly get perfect results.

Fred's (B-Fast founder) machinery precision grinds BOTH sides of the manufacturers plates - both main diff rings and thrust washers. His kits also include complete carbide balls for both the main diff and the thrust race. So while on the "outside" it might seem like the kits are expensive, once you add up the cost of the carbide balls, manufacturers plates, the precision equipment and time to do get the plates to standard - the cost is actually quite resonable. Dont forget that BOTH sides of the plates are ground flat, so you are effectively doubling the life of the plate.

For most people - buying the custom equipment to do the same thing for your own diffs is just not economically sensible - especially if the results still wont be as precise as what they are from B-Fast.......

Hey - either way - the product is excellent - and yes - you can get "close" to similar results by buying plates and sanding them yourself - or outlaying more on more specified products, but most people will just do the maths and say its easier and more cost effective to just get the B-Fast kits in the first place.

In reality, do what makes you happy. There are many ways to enjoy the hobby - some love to tinker and do it themselves - thats why it is called a hobby! :) I like the products because the save me time - and I know that the parts will be PERFECT every time I fit them. Thats one less thing to worry about on race day or when prepping the race car. Doesnt hurt that they require alot less maintenance too!

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i know i could sand/grind my own, but the fact that these are perfect plus the carbide and ceramic balls makes it a great buy for me.
i love wrenching on rc's but an hours worth of sanding doesn't sound like fun. :lol:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

They aren't doing anything else to the diff rings. They are completely surface ground, and that's it. That's the whole key to a smooth diff (flat rings). The kit they sell also has carbide or ceramic diff balls, diff lube and something else, too. The rings themselves are $13 or so, which is still pricey (1000% markup from stock rings), but the labor to do it yourself is time consuming and tedious.

It's a great product. These should have been produced decades ago. Actually, I tried to do it in the 80s, but couldn't figure out a way to keep the rings from shooting like bullets off of the magnetic surface grinder plate. Scared myself a few times then gave up. :)

Are they worth it? Build one diff with those rings and you will see that they absolutely are. Can you do it yourself with lots of time and labor? Damn skippy you can.

notme
Approved Member

Post by notme »

Thanks for the info Retro. I didnt know what all went into the diff rings. Does sound worth it for sure.
Bernie Casey
My vintage collection, rc10, rc10 ce, turbo optima ,xls, storm ,jrx2,jrx pro, xxt, inferno mp3