TRX1 Build

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Seabass
Business Member

TRX1 Build

Post by Seabass »

This was the last RC car I used during my racing days back in 91-92. I really liked the car and was happy with the performance. After seeing them on a regular basis and passing them up for years, I finally decided to look for one to build. Now the cars are few and far between and command premium prices even if the car is trashed. Luckily, many of the parts can still be bought new. I was able to source the most difficult part of this car, the tranny, motor plate and battery boxes (Thanks to some of the members here).

The car is going to be built to run, no shelf duty here. I have most of the items I need to build the car minus the few parts that are in the mail. Should end up being a pretty cool car in the end that I can go out and race. I am starting with mostly new parts and even though I have a mix - match set of parts, white and black. The white parts will get dyed so everything is uniform. I am sure some of you think that is sacrilegious but it is time to break out the RIT dye.

Jake
Attachments
100_0254.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: TRX1 Build

Post by GoMachV »

Congrats Jake, i know you've been craving one for a while!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Thanks for the parts. Just got done building a NIP complete diff. Super smooth just like I remember it.

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

Can't wait to see another TRX1 brought back to life! I'll be looking for one of these in the near future after the current project is complete (Kyosho Triumph). Keep the pictures coming!

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

I can't wait too see what you come up with on this build Jake. I will be following this one pretty closely. :mrgreen:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Awesome :mrgreen:

if you found the tip to make a supersmooth but non slipping diff for this car, let me know... I can't get mine(s) up to the standard I'm after :)

Looking forward to pics of one of the best looking buggies of all times (with RC10, and dynastorm)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Lonestar wrote:Awesome :mrgreen:

if you found the tip to make a supersmooth but non slipping diff for this car, let me know... I can't get mine(s) up to the standard I'm after :)

Looking forward to pics of one of the best looking buggies of all times (with RC10, and dynastorm)

Paul

I've had really good luck with the ball diff in buggies. Both my TRX-1 and TCP were super-smooth and durable. You kinda start pushing the envelope with stadium trucks and mod motors though.

I build all of my diffs with AE carbide balls and Stealth Lube and Black Grease.

I'll be following this thread closely! :mrgreen:

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Just ordered the remaining parts needed for the build including an STRC layshaft to use a B4 slipper. In addition to the slipper I also ordered a B4 slipper cover and I will drill the motor plate to accept the B4 cover. That pesky and hard to find gear cover is not needed and would be useless for this project.

I wanted to machine my own layshaft and may do it down the road. You can't beat a custom layshaft that is less than $10 shipped.

The only thing I don't have for the build is a chassis, front and rear towers and shocks. Not to worry though, I have plans underway and ultimately will make the car pretty dang cool.

Hopefully I can get some pics uploaded of the build very soon.

Jake

peuge73
Approved Member

Post by peuge73 »

Seabass wrote:Just ordered the remaining parts needed for the build including an STRC layshaft to use a B4 slipper. In addition to the slipper I also ordered a B4 slipper cover and I will drill the motor plate to accept the B4 cover. That pesky and hard to find gear cover is not needed and would be useless for this project.

I wanted to machine my own layshaft and may do it down the road. You can't beat a custom layshaft that is less than $10 shipped.

The only thing I don't have for the build is a chassis, front and rear towers and shocks. Not to worry though, I have plans underway and ultimately will make the car pretty dang cool.

Hopefully I can get some pics uploaded of the build very soon.

Jake
About the STRC axis, I have put one on my Eagle tranny. I fits really well. I have also add an Asso slipper, but the V2 version.
According to your project, the shafts ref 1651 will be the driveline weak point. I am on the way to consider some MIP uppgrade on my truck.

I like the idea of an asso gear cover. I did not thought about it.

The parts you miss are not so hard to find.

Waiting for the pictures.
Good start anyway.

Hugues
local club president, but also family team manager - mecanic - official sponsor, and some times cruising my RC cars......YES!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.bmvrc.com/

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Seabass wrote:The only thing I don't have for the build is a chassis, front and rear towers and shocks. Not to worry though, I have plans underway and ultimately will make the car pretty dang cool.
Jake,

Would you like some front and rear towers? I have a pair somewhere that I do not need.... as pictured in the "WTF is this" thread... http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14461&p=337674&hilit=shock#p337674. Happy to help your project out!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Jake, you can use a stampede gear cover with a hole drilled in the cover, and a small offset bracket, rather than drilling holes in the motor plate if you wanted to.

see this thread, my post with the pictures of the gear cover, blue eagle and trx1 motor plates.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12963&p=125350&hilit=gear+cover#p125350

I'm pretty sure you can still easily get the 'long' and 'x-long' traxxas shocks pretty cheaply and they are nice and smooth. You can also buy the blue caps so you end up with pretty much the real deal trx1 shocks, if that's what you want do.

I can also help with shock towers for mockup samples (I have a broken set you can copy, just let me know)

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Jake, here's some carbon fiber parts that would work for you.
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/traxxas/fl_traxxas_trx.html

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

I have an almost new complete set of shocks for the TRX-1. They should be in my ad in the BST forum. Might even have 4 blue caps to go with them.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Thanks for the heads up but I am covered on the shocks, just have not ordered them yet. As far as the gear cover goes, I will still run the B4 cover since it will cover the spur and shaft without any problems. I have no issues with drilling the motor plate. Once the gear cover is mounted, I plan to remove the tab for the oem cover.

I knew about fiberlite but the chassis is going to be something a little more special to me. I have the material, just need to get the measurements from on old chassis (One is coming in the mail).

White parts are getting the dye treatment tonight :mrgreen:

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Everything is black now and looking great. Started to assemble the front end and ran into a slight problem with the castor blocks. Since I could not find the proper castor blocks for the TRX1, I went with part # 1932, 25 degree castors. With the steering arms installed, I had no steering at all. Since I want to run 25 degree castors, I had to make them work. A little trimming and the steering arms are able to have full throw. The material I removed should not affect the strength of the part but it will be a good idea to pick up a couple spare sets if one happens to fail.

I am getting pretty pumped with the pending build, I have really wanted one of these for a long time now. Best part is the car is being built from new parts so it is like having a fresh out of the box build.

Hopefully I can get some pics soon.

Jake