Anyone tried this? Yellowed parts white

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kevcrid
Approved Member

Re: Anyone tried this? Yellowed parts white

Post by kevcrid »

I have had great success with conditioner cream 40 on a yellow turbo scorpion tub and a few other parts.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Amazing how well it whitens some of the pieces. I will be doing my own pieces soon. Thanks for the info.

Jared J
Approved Member

Post by Jared J »

So, im reading all the way to the last post, and i cant figure out what to do now. I do have extra parts id like to really try this on. SO what exactly do i do? Do i just Soak in Peroxide for however long, then rinse? I dont want to boil to prevent harm to the parts and re-yellowing them. how would i be confident enough that i can put them on my Gold pan?
Newly Rebuild Edinger RC10
B4.2, B5M Factory Lite, B44.3, And RC10 Graphite w/ Stealth trans.
LRP Esc, Reedy M3 17.5, MCG Reaper 7.5, Savox, Blue Bird.
Onyx Charger.
Favorite Tire: JC Blue Dirtwebs, and maaaybe Pro-line Primes.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

if you are patient, it should be fine.

soak in peroxide, and add some UV, sunlight takes a bit more time than a UV bulb, its a slower process but probably a little more gentle. to be honest, this is a pretty brutal reaction taking place, the uv breaks down the h202 leaving active oxygen, which is pretty aggressive no matter what. Once you have achieved the desired color, then transfer to a warm water bath, or wash, then leave in another fresh batch of warm water to thoroughly remove all traces of h202. the longer you leave it in, the better, and be sure as Marlo mentioned before, pop all the air bubbles and really try and flush the nooks and crannies.

Jared J
Approved Member

Post by Jared J »

jwscab wrote:if you are patient, it should be fine.

soak in peroxide, and add some UV, sunlight takes a bit more time than a UV bulb, its a slower process but probably a little more gentle. to be honest, this is a pretty brutal reaction taking place, the uv breaks down the h202 leaving active oxygen, which is pretty aggressive no matter what. Once you have achieved the desired color, then transfer to a warm water bath, or wash, then leave in another fresh batch of warm water to thoroughly remove all traces of h202. the longer you leave it in, the better, and be sure as Marlo mentioned before, pop all the air bubbles and really try and flush the nooks and crannies.
Okay, so a UV light, if its a regular blub, I have a bulb. But if not- it's okay- I'll use sunlight. During the process, do I cover with plastic wrap?After I have the color I want, do I rinse them in a warm water bath first? Do I use any soap? Then After that, a second bath? I understand popping the holes and all. So how long would you guestimate the second bath? I'm planning on using these parts on a car I'm going to restore for my father or if I happen to break a part on my Gold Pan, I'll use it for a replacement part. I'm going to really be using my car when I finish my car.
Onyx Charger.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

You can cover just so you don't lose liquid to evaporation. I would say a good 24 hr soakbut whatever you feel comfortable with. Just rinsing with tap water is fine.

Jared J
Approved Member

Post by Jared J »

so i did it for probably 12 hrs cause it was cloudy. but kept it under a light. What a difference... That moment, when the test parts you used, that were gonna be replacement parts for when you break a part, looks better than what is on the car now. lol. after the peroxide, i rinsed them all with warm water and now they are sitting in a warm to hottish water.
Attachments
20151212_141810[2].jpg
Onyx Charger.

Jared J
Approved Member

Post by Jared J »

Okay, so im more than pleasedwith the results i got on my parts. was able to have some more partssoak in peroxide in the bright sun. And bot i wish my car was in pieces so i can make all the parts like this. lol. when i do get any chance, ill do it piece by piece. But anyway, Ive had the parts soak in warm baths for just about 2 days. Constantly brushing the parts, and cleaning them, then re-soaking again. i just did it again. when can i be sure that the pereoxside is fully out of the parts? one of them is a battery holder so i want to make sure its COMEPLETELY peroxside free.
Onyx Charger.

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

I know this peroxide treatment has been tried on the older RPM translucent white parts with not so good to disastrous results. But I thought I remember reading a long while back where someone had been successful whitening up these old RPM parts somehow. I have a couple of pieces that have turned a nasty brown color and I would really like to brighten them up, if at all possible. I tried using search and didn't really find much. Does anyone recall?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

found it on Facebook...from LTO Dave :mrgreen:
Here's the big secret revealed: Don't use any caustic degreasers. Boil the parts in a 75% distilled water and 25% bleach solution for 10 minutes. Immediately shock in ice water with salt (salt lowers the melting point and gets the water below 32-degrees). Repeat 1-2 times. I did a batch of white RPM parts and the results were amazing. I used an electric single-burner range outside to boil the parts since the fumes were nasty. And don't use peroxide!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Thank you, Jeff! I'll have to give that a try.

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

GoMachV wrote:
Here's the big secret revealed: Don't use any caustic degreasers. Boil the parts in a 75% distilled water and 25% bleach solution for 10 minutes. Immediately shock in ice water with salt (salt lowers the melting point and gets the water below 32-degrees). Repeat 1-2 times. I did a batch of white RPM parts and the results were amazing. I used an electric single-burner range outside to boil the parts since the fumes were nasty. And don't use peroxide!

Curious on two things...

1. Has anyone tried this on the regular stock AE parts? Any chalkiness or maybe the bleach lightens it too much?

2. Wonder if you'd get better results using an ultrasonic heated cleaner?

->Mark

Trailsnail
Approved Member

Post by Trailsnail »

I'll be giving this a try on my first two RC10s that I am planning to tear down and restore. Thanks to the OP and for the other feedback throughout this thread, super helpful!

lmw94002
Approved Member

Post by lmw94002 »

As I'm tearing down a few RC10s and sorting the parts... I've realized I actually have quite a few white RPM parts.

I'm done the peroxide on the AE parts and it's definitely got them looking good. But I saw the warning for the RPM parts and how boiling in a 25% bleach solution w/ ice shock. Does anyone have any before / after pics of cleaning up the white RPM parts?
--
RC10CE 6-gear, RC10 Team, 10L, 10LSS, Worlds, B2, B4 TC, FT TC3, Nitro SC8, SC18, RC18LM, FT SC10.2, Worlds-ReRe, B6, B6D
--Builds--
SSC10 build - http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=41740

BooGTS
Approved Member

Post by BooGTS »

I tried this with my AE parts. Used a UVA light, incandescent. This is after ~16 hours. The gear is for comparison. I'm pretty pleased. They don't seem brittle or have their strength affected in any way.

I put them in a heat resistant glass over the light, and put a loosely fitted lid on. The peroxide got hot, but not boiling.
during.jpg
after.jpg
Ignore the Worlds Car, its untouched. The Andy's and RPM pieces are new, but all of the AE stuff other than the front suspension mounts is vintage and had this done to it.
RC10 CE w Worlds.jpg