This ain't vintage but....

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

This ain't vintage but....

Post by LosiXXkid »

It just gets worse!

Call me old fashioned but how the hell is the driver supposed to 'see' outta this... :P

tlr-22-4-01.jpg
tlr-22-4-01.jpg (27.88 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
tlr-22-4-01.jpg
tlr-22-4-01.jpg (27.88 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

Shady Rascal
Approved Member

Re: This ain't vintage but....

Post by Shady Rascal »

Made me think of this. Like driving down the road looking through a mail slot.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

And to all the people claiming those fugly cab-forward bodies were improving their lap-times and performance, what do they say to this, now? :roll:

Somebody done stepped on the body and squarshed it. Looks retarded.

Then again, when I saw all the truggies that were popular not too long ago with way-outscaled tires and bodies with ridiculous wheel-well cutouts where the chassis wheels weren't even CLOSE to lining up with them, I thought that look was retarded, too. If the wheels don't line up with the wheel-wells, why even bother having wheel-well cutouts in the body?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:30 pm And to all the people claiming those fugly cab-forward bodies were improving their lap-times and performance, what do they say to this, now? :roll:

Then again, when I saw all the truggies that were popular not too long ago with way-outscaled tires and bodies with ridiculous wheel-well cutouts where the chassis wheels weren't even CLOSE to lining up with them, I thought that look was retarded, too. If the wheels don't line up with the wheel-wells, why even bother having wheel-well cutouts in the body?
rant rant rant...

when's the last time you've raced, Marc?

(do agree it's ugly, though. At least it frees up the airflow to the rear wing)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:30 pm And to all the people claiming those fugly cab-forward bodies were improving their lap-times and performance, what do they say to this, now? :roll:

Naturally I'm pro-vintage but this just looks so much.............BETTER!

s-l1600.jpg

sixdub
Approved Member

Post by sixdub »

LosiXXkid wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:29 am It just gets worse!

Call me old fashioned but how the hell is the driver supposed to 'see' outta this... :P

tlr-22-4-01.jpg
I do applaud the "vintage" color scheme. 8)

Can see it better from this angle.

Kyosho, JRX-2, Gold Tub Fan

snowfox
Approved Member

Post by snowfox »

The losi looks more like a body cover than an actual body shell!

Do they have rules on bodyshells when racing? To be fair its the younger generation who dictate this sport, not us vntage heads!

BTW Six Dub that JRxT is rad! Its on my want list!
Give it Gas!

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

snowfox wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 am The losi looks more like a body cover than an actual body shell!

Do they have rules on bodyshells when racing? To be fair its the younger generation who dictate this sport, not us vntage heads!

I don't have a problem with the body shell being of a low profile design, I just don't understand the stupid cab forward look they all seem to have these days..... :roll:

Why can't they just put the cab section back where it used to be?? :evil:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

LosiXXkid wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 am
snowfox wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 am The losi looks more like a body cover than an actual body shell!

I don't have a problem with the body shell being of a low profile design, I just don't understand the stupid cab forward look they all seem to have these days..... :roll:

In theory - the airflow is different.

In practice - that's BS. BUT BUT BUT it does "feel" different to drive. Some good friend of mine puts it back to the way your brain processes the visual information about the car... the "bump" in the front is processed different than the "bump" in the rear.

I ran the test with a B4 a few years back... Same car, two different bodies (1 "old-school", one cab-fwd) back to back. a few laps with stock body first, stop at the bottom of the drivers stand , rapid switch to cab-fwd body (rostrum was 2ft high so it's like a 15s pit-stop, your brain is still in "driving" mode), run again...

I never put the old-school body back :mrgreen: there is something about the way cab-fwd bodies make you feel the car...

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:30 pm Somebody done stepped on the body and squashed it. Looks retarded.
You're far too polite!

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Lonestar wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:16 am
LosiXXkid wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 am

In theory - the airflow is different.

In practice - that's BS. BUT BUT BUT it does "feel" different to drive. Some good friend of mine puts it back to the way your brain processes the visual information about the car... the "bump" in the front is processed different than the "bump" in the rear.

I ran the test with a B4 a few years back... Same car, two different bodies (1 "old-school", one cab-fwd) back to back. a few laps with stock body first, stop at the bottom of the drivers stand , rapid switch to cab-fwd body (rostrum was 2ft high so it's like a 15s pit-stop, your brain is still in "driving" mode), run again...

I never put the old-school body back :mrgreen: there is something about the way cab-fwd bodies make you feel the car...
I always thought that these were supposed to be scale versions of dune buggy's,......that's how it all started wasn't it??? With Tamiya paving the way for others to follow.... :?

These modern abominations look nothing like a scale version of anything, so why even bother with the cab element at all??? In fact, why not just have one big wing covering the entire chassis and be done with it???? :P

This is a full size dune buggy which clearly resembles the Tamiya FAV...

justin-cooneys-dual-sport-car_c2-offroad-22.jpg
Now imagine it with a super low body and a cab forward design.

Frickin' stupid.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Lonestar wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:16 am In theory - the airflow is different.

It sounds like a repeat of running a red* body vs. everything else. Same difference.

* Replace by favourite/random colour at will. With R/C cars the difference is mostly in the head, better contrast with some colors non-withstanding. The original applied to Ferraris, IIRC, which supposedly looked "faster" because they were red (ignoring the white/yellow/black/blue ones**). The only thing with the color red is that it often is used in warning signs and therefore is associated with danger. But again, that's only in the head. Red cars are not faster. The whole thing is BS.

** that were equally fast... :roll:

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

LosiXXkid wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:13 am
This is a full size dune buggy which clearly resembles the Tamiya FAV...

justin-cooneys-dual-sport-car_c2-offroad-22.jpg

Now imagine it with a super low body and a cab forward design.

Frickin' stupid.
Clearly HPI had the right idea with their Insane Speed Run cars...except they understood the suspension had to be adapted for a velodrome. :P

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

EvolutionRevolution wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:36 am With R/C cars the difference is mostly in the head.
Absolutely for the "last" 5%, cannot agree more... if it "feels" faster, it will make you faster, so go for it!

As much as I dislike cab-fwd bodies, I couldn't race a "traditional" one any more...

The other good example is fluo yellow rims vs. white... I've converted a couple of race buddies on that one too. Once you try, you can't go back ;)