Optima Mid Questions/Help

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

billpete
Approved Member

Re: Optima Mid Questions/Help

Post by billpete »

rccars4sal wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:43 am If running a mid, then top of the hop up list would be thorp or mip hardened center gear. Other than that, the car can handle brushless and lipo power. EVerything else is just gravy. Although, the more serious a person is regarding racing, then the more important the upgrade path becomes. I wouldnt consider running 1 without a center gear upgrade.
Thanks! I will look around for that gear.

billpete
Approved Member

Post by billpete »

So I picked up a mid. In great shape.

Silly wheel questions now.

Playing with the wheels and stuff, I forgot that Kyosho used a "press on" method for the hubs that the wheels connect to.

Looking at the re-release of the Optima, they redesigned the shafts to have a hole (like Tamiya and other models) to hold the hub to the shaft.

Will the new re-released shafts for the Optima work on the Mid? From what I can tell, they will.

Also, can someone recommend a good "general purpose" tire for the Mid? On road, off road, that will hold up to all of that without wearing the spikes down?

Thanks again guys!

BP

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

If you go with 2.2 wheels, then the best all purpose tires are proline dirt hogs. They will last forever, and grip fantastically. As for 2.0 wheels,, I would stick with good quality USA rubber if possible. It lasts longer. Losi, AE, proline, Their rubber is high quality, dosent crack and degrade so fast. Best tires I have run are losi and proline for longevity.

billpete
Approved Member

Post by billpete »

rccars4sal wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:36 pm If you go with 2.2 wheels, then the best all purpose tires are proline dirt hogs. They will last forever, and grip fantastically. As for 2.0 wheels,, I would stick with good quality USA rubber if possible. It lasts longer. Losi, AE, proline, Their rubber is high quality, dosent crack and degrade so fast. Best tires I have run are losi and proline for longevity.
Thanks for the replay. I like the dirt hawgs--they look exactly like what I am looking for.

Any recommendation for 2.2 wheel? I am learning the hard way that not all aftermarket hex hubs are the same...

Thanks again!

BP

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

A while back I bought a bunch of Academy 2.2 wheels for the sb racer,, almost exactly like Kyosho wheels. Other than that, HPI, Jconcepts, Kyosho, Tamiya. As long as they are 12mm hex, they should fit. Pretty sure stock opt mid wheels have more offset than most 2.2 wheels though. So, it might be wize to look for some with a fair amount of offset.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

rccars4sal wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 amPretty sure stock opt mid wheels have more offset than most 2.2 wheels though. So, it might be wize to look for some with a fair amount of offset.
Exactly, the problem with most modern 2.2" wheels is the offset. Most of them have HPO (high positive offset) where all the wheel depth is on the inside of the wheel, not the outside. Very few have a neutral or negative offset giving that deeper-dish look like vintage muscle-cars had back in the day. Too much HPO and your wheels rub the shocks or other parts of the chassis.

I believe the Proline Desperado 2.2" wheels for the 1/16 E-Revo are a good choice for a runner, and they look cool, too.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PROLINE-Desperado-2-2-Black-Front-Rear-Wheels-1-16-E-Revo-2-PRO273703-/351663031477?hash=item51e0c004b5:g:Vz0AAMXQPatTI4XW
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

billpete
Approved Member

Post by billpete »

Thanks guys for the help. I will give those prolines a shot.

It is all coming together nicely. This board rocks with all the great advice.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Depending on what you want to spend on wheels/tires you can also search ebay for revo 1/16 wheels and some of your dirt hawgs show up on beadlock wheels that would work so if you didn't like the dirthawgs you could try some different tires. check them out here
You can find them out there cheaper but these were just the ones I ran across first...
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

sixdub
Approved Member

Post by sixdub »

I'm using JConcepts 2.2 Rulux wheels for an E-Revo on my Javelin. The offset is right and are also available with premounted tires.

Another option is to use the 2.2 rear wheels for the re-re Scorpion. Part number SCH006
Kyosho, JRX-2, Gold Tub Fan

billpete
Approved Member

Post by billpete »

sixdub wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:27 pm I'm using JConcepts 2.2 Rulux wheels for an E-Revo on my Javelin. The offset is right and are also available with premounted tires.

Another option is to use the 2.2 rear wheels for the re-re Scorpion. Part number SCH006
Thanks for the help!

Which tires are you running on those wheels?

sixdub
Approved Member

Post by sixdub »

Kyosho, JRX-2, Gold Tub Fan

billpete
Approved Member

Post by billpete »

Hey Guys,

Back again. I haven't ordered any new wheels yet, but tried some aftermarket ones from a local store that I got for my hotshot.

The issue I am having now is this:

It appears that the vintage hex hubs on my mid (the kind that you press on) are a skoosh too big for the aftermarket wheels I have.

Re-re hex hubs fit the aftermarket wheels just fine.

So, I either have larger, out of spec hubs, or the aftermarket wheels are too small. But I am leaning towards the vintage hubs since they seem to be the only thing not working.

The vintage wheels on the mid fit fine.

That being said, is the though that the jconcepts or proline wheels will fit the vintage hubs?

I did order some of the re-re wheel shafts as well--they will work on the rear, but the fronts have the universal dog bones so no go there.

Thanks again for the help.

BP

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Hex hubs are supposed to be 12mm, that's a standard. 12mm is 12mm, vintage or modern. I'm not sure I understand what you meant by saying the vintage hex hubs were too big? Take them off and measure them.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

billpete
Approved Member

Post by billpete »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 10:29 am Hex hubs are supposed to be 12mm, that's a standard. 12mm is 12mm, vintage or modern. I'm not sure I understand what you meant by saying the vintage hex hubs were too big? Take them off and measure them.
Yeah they are 12mm. Maybe the aftermarket wheels are too small then. I could get the wheel on the hex, it would just take some serious work.

I will try some jconcepts or proline wheels to see.

Thanks!

BP

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

What aftermarket wheels did you buy?