Help with LXT I.D.

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Help with LXT I.D.

Post by Basher67 »

Need a little help with this Losi truck I picked up. I am not a Losi guy and I have never owned a Losi vehicle. I will probably end up trading or selling this truck. I only bought it because it came with a pile of NIP tires, vintage brushed motors, rc tools, tons of assorted aftermarket turnbuckles, etc. I'm having some trouble nailing down exactly what this is. The guy I got it from used to race them with his buddy years back. This was his buddies car. He told me it was a JRxT/LXT hybrid. He said it was an LXT built on a modified JRxT chassis. He said he thinks it was a JRxT chassis that was trimmed down the sides where the trailing arm system was bolted on. Now, I've seen my share of "trimmed down" and modified carbon chassis and you can almost always see the tell tale signs of the homemade mods. This has none. It looks very factory and professional. Maybe his buddy switched chassis? Despite not having a top plate or brace, the truck is very rigid and solid feeling. I did see that it has a Jammin' Jay servo mount/steering brace, Kinward Dirtinator motor, rpm front arms and the turnbuckles have been swapped out for what look like lunsfords. Also came with a bunch of good condition wheels and tires, but most of the fronts have too much backspacing and don't work with this truck. Not sure what's going on there but I threw in a pic of that too. The only thing broken was the front body mount and I've got a new one on the way. Any info or help from the losi crowd would be appreciated. It would be nice to know if I'm staring at a gem or a turd here :lol:
Attachments
DSC08091.JPG
DSC08092.JPG
DSC08100.JPG
DSC08099.JPG
DSC08098.JPG
DSC08095.JPG
DSC08094.JPG
DSC08093.JPG
DSC08101.JPG

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Help with LXT I.D.

Post by Lonestar »

This is basically an LXT with a retrofit transmission (with hydra shaft and cover, but not the hydra itself...) with with a few cool hopups bolted on top, hooked to a graphite chassis. That servo brace is awesome. I have more mixed emotions about the RPM arms, yes the original ones are fragile but the rpm ones are so flexible that the shock becomes secondary... the chassis job certainly doesn't look home-made indeed... Some composite-craft-ish piece, maybe?

(not telling you anything you didn't know already, mind you!!! :lol: )

To me: Gem! Love it!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

So the trans is not original to the lxt? It came with a bunch of different spur gears and extra parts for the type of slipper that's on it. Also came with a bunch of diff parts. Center gears, outdrives, etc.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Correct. That transmission is not original. As mentioned, its the XX Retro Fit Transmission. The original transmission would have been what we refer to as LRM or low rotating mass. The LRM was a 6 geared trans. and the XX is a 3 gear.

This truck is a hybrid and what I like to call a Jr-LXT. I did this with one of mine, too. But I don't know about the chassis. If it was cut down, it wasn't by much. The front bulkhead is also a later version, made of a more robust material and distinguishable because its white. The front body mounts seem to be a very weak spot of the LXT, but the rest should be a pretty sturdy truck.

I don't recognize the wheels with the two additional holes. They look like the typical inside of the LXT front wheel except for the additional holes. They may be XXXT wheels made for the quick change adapter.

I'd say it was a good score.
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Post a pic of the bottom. It may be a narrowed up xt or pro chassis. I think the Composite Craft Losi chassis had multiple holes at the back for adjusting the wheelbase...... not up on them enough to be sure of that though.

EDIT: There are no holes for top deck stand offs either, so I'm gonna stick with a narrowed up XT or pro chassis. This could have actually been a Jrxt originally and the LXT conversion was done to it.

I've seen the steering brace before as well, but I don't remember the company that made it.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

The steering brace is definitely a Jammin' Jay Halsey piece. It even came with the original instructons for it. Here's some more chassis pics.
Attachments
DSC08107.JPG
DSC08106.JPG

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

big shock, I'm inclined to agree with Scr8p that the chassis is likely trimmed and could have been a JRXT to LXT conversion, with upgraded trans.

with a belt sander, mill, or router, you can make the edge look pretty factory. The clue to me is that is looked like they trimmed the servo saver area too and it looks kinda clean.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

That would confirm the story I got with the truck too. It is possible to cleanly reshape a chassis, I even recently reshaped a foam core graphite and it looks super clean, but for every clean job, I've seen a hundred hack jobs. That makes me sceptical every time I see nice clean work i guess. :lol: So would this be a factory JRxt chassis that has been modified or an aftermarket JRxT chassis?

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Basher67 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:51 pm That would confirm the story I got with the truck too. It is possible to cleanly reshape a chassis, I even recently reshaped a foam core graphite and it looks super clean, but for every clean job, I've seen a hundred hack jobs. That makes me sceptical every time I see nice clean work i guess. :lol: So would this be a factory JRxt chassis that has been modified or an aftermarket JRxT chassis?
I share the same skepticism. :mrgreen: Anytime I receive work that someone else performed, its never been straight, level, plum, square or round! :lol: But based on the evidence at hand, I would wager that this was a stock Jrx-T chassis that someone carefully cut down. Then I would assume that the LXT suspension was added and finally the XX retro trans.
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."