Losi JRX Pro is amazing

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

notme
Approved Member

Losi JRX Pro is amazing

Post by notme »

This past weekend was a 2 day race event with all the usual 1/10 classes and a vintage class for fun. It was a mixed bag of cars, one 4wd, two ST, three 2wd buggys.
This jrx pro is borrowed from a friend, who picked it up as is, thus the ugly paint. It has a replaced front shock tower as you can see it is too short for the long springs, so these random green short springs were thrown on to get the correct ride height. Front tires/wheels are original, $9 hobbyking brushed esc (no brakes) and a 19turn brushed Tbang motor installed.
This car drives like a dream...it would jump very well with very little correction needed, and cut inside lines like nobodys business. I held tq for a few rounds and finished 2nd in the single A main, also laid down the fastest lap, within .5 second of modern 2wd buggys!
Just thought Id share this as it is quite remarkable in my opinion, how well it performs for being 27 years old. I may even run it in the modern class to show some people up.
I have a reproduction body coming to give it a much better look. I will be looking for a few correct decals for it as well.
cheers

Bernie Casey
My vintage collection, rc10, rc10 ce, turbo optima ,xls, storm ,jrx2,jrx pro, xxt, inferno mp3

RCveteran
Approved Member

Re: Losi JRX Pro is amazing

Post by RCveteran »

Congrats! Good to see the JRX getting some action. I am actually building an X2 right now to race on indoor carpet offroad. I am keeping it 5 link for fun. At club level my experience is same as yours, these old buggies can hang just fine. I've had a few different racer builds over the years.

Are you running a slipper, what was your gearing set up, any other set up tips. Plenty of RC10 info but we don't get as much JRX info so it is all helpful. I don't have a slipper on this one. On the carpet there is so much traction.
X2 racer.jpg

notme
Approved Member

Post by notme »

Im geared 20/86 with a lipo, and ran with the arms level. The rest was setup as per manual build. No slipper. I think I found the diff sweet spot! With no brakes I would scrub speed off into corners and roll power on coming out, low traction dirt. For carpet you will want to run a little lower, and a tighter diff. Be carefull with power, especially if your running b/l, I dont think the ball diff will be very strong on carpet. Youll want stiffer springs and heavier shock oil. Good luck
Bernie Casey
My vintage collection, rc10, rc10 ce, turbo optima ,xls, storm ,jrx2,jrx pro, xxt, inferno mp3

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I've raced a few JRX's over the years but great to see your set up. I've never hurt a LRM transmission in one of these. I never race a track that has required more than 13.5T Brushless and never had a transmission issue. I've run the slipper set up and always end up running it so tight it probably is of little value. This carpet is new to me but I have my rere RC10 worlds dialed to competitive A main times when I can turn clean laps unfortunately I am a b main guy as I am not consistent but fact is car is fast enough I am not.

If you can find one there is a dual ball bearing differential that will hold up to anything but it is not necessary. You can usually find the gear but the odd size specialty bearings appear to be used in nothing else and you need to find old Losi stock.

I have a built metal thorp also in my pitbox but have never needed it. I think the ability to adjust the diff from the outside with no disassembly remains one of the best features ever. I build mine with ceramic balls and never had an issue.

Modern power and Lipos help hide a lot of sins for sure. This one is only going in 17.5T class. Honestly the 5 link is probably a terrible idea for the carpet but I am not there to win anyways, so if it holds its own I am happy.