JRX2 5 link down and dirty racer

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RCveteran
Approved Member

Re: JRX2 5 link down and dirty racer

Post by RCveteran »

If I read the rules right if I put the handout motor in it and run original tires this car would be fine for Classic class at Vintage Nationals and if I ran this motor and tires it would be in regular 2wd class.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

RCveteran wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:25 am It is a kimbrough servo servo, I can't recall part number. To some degree I have the same issue as you, in other words if I compare and watch what steering is doing compared to a modern car it fights on high bite to stay locked. Fortunately track I am at is small and no real high speed sweepers so it does not matter too much at my level. Are you running a strong servo, the Savox I am running is very strong and quick which helps.

I'd say run Sabula Tech steering parts and no servo saver if you want, they are cheap and plentiful and you won't be breaking originals. Although with mid motor you may have way more front bite than I do. Overall lack of front bite is my biggest issue, I fight it on the rere RC10 on the astro turf too and I have that car tuned very well.

Yes I am running stock axles. As noted, the only difference is you need to use Associated drive pin as it is shorter.
Front bite has always been my downfall in racing. I either don't have enough and loose races in the turns, or I manage to find too much and traction roll all over the place. Just can't find the happy medium. I do have a descent servo in my buggy. I think it may be a Hitec 645MG. I have way more than enough spare parts, but I really dislike breaking anything vintage. So as soon as I have some cash, I may be placing a Sabula Tech order. There are several 3d parts I want to get from there.
Some friends and I are setting up a new RC track here at the former WV Penitentiary. One of our track layouts is going to be carpet off road and I want to try and have all my ducks in a row with this Jrx-Pro for opening day. 8)
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I've got time today to stop by the track and will get 3 full batteries through it so an hour or so of drive time. I'll report back, as for breaking parts, I am bringing this today plus some already in my box. Track is an hour away so I hate to break something and not be able to keep going. Given I have way too many X2's I should probably just bring a whole back up car :lol:
20170908_074739.jpg

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Car did very well today, no failures, the RC10 rere wheels are a win. The track configuration has a very tricky triple section that was beating the car up and it hung in just fine. I couldn't successfully take it as a single double combo so it was three separate jumps. It was actually more stable than my rere world's car which I have worked with a few times now.

Mostly I need to work my gear ratio a bit, one friend with RC10 B6M same motor was just much faster. I ended up with a 28 pinion and 82 spur that closed the gap as that is what I had. I think a couple more teeth on pinion would help. He also had a much better battery so that may be part of it. I also suspect he was playing with timing and ESC boost, I was not. Either way I think I have a bit of fiddling to do there.

I am running a non tunable blinky clubstock ESC and 17.5T Hobbywing motor.

The LRM tranny has a 2.18 ratio so based on the above spur/pinion my FDR was 6.38. Any thoughts? I was not running a slipper set up and as such I think 82T is smallest spur. If I go slipper I can go down to 78. I didn't feel at anytime today though a slipper would have helped me. I also may just think I need better batteries, I have some generic shorty Lipo and guy I was running against has Reedy 100C mega pack.
20170908_104217.jpg
20170908_101902.jpg

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Sometimes things get lost in the past here. Here is a XXX slipper style spur with 78T put on a LRM tranny. It slips right on if you have the slipper shaft used on JRXpro SE. You can see old single slipper disc laying in pile next to it. This makes modern spurs and and slipper pads easy to come by. Again not sure I even need the slipper. I guess car does have a lot of bite and will pull wheelies if I am crazy on throttle so it might help a bit coming out of turns as I could use more front traction always on the turf.
20170908_173743.jpg
Far as I know you can even run newer 22 spur gear and slipper pad style on this.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

That looks like a fun track! Glad to hear that the X2 performed well!
Matt

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

It's a smaller track which suits me better. Also removes all out speed as the deciding factor though I need to find a bit more speed when comparing buddies B6M also running a 17.5T. Going to play with gearing a bit more and setting on ESC.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Went back today, I ended up with a 30T pinion and the 78T spur. It was just about perfect, car was performing well. I had track to myself and was able to turn lap times consistently that would be bottom B main material. I am actually shocked how well the 5 link is doing on the turf. Way better than my World's Rc10 has done so far at least.

I played with some some toe settings and spring collars a bit but nothing earth shattering. It was very hooked up and as my tires I have worn I am actually getting more rear slide which I needed.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

RCveteran wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:33 pm I am actually shocked how well the 5 link is doing on the turf. Way better than my World's Rc10 has done so far at least.
This doesn't surprise me at all. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that its performing well. I too, had some luck with my mid motor Pro recently. I only got to try it on the oval, but handling and traction were not my biggest weakness! 8)

So what's your next step other than more practice?
Matt

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

For this one I am pretty much going to leave it alone. I think it is about as good as one could expect it to be. I can tweek a bit here and there but now it is up to me to drive it better. If they have a VIntage race I would enter it. I don't get to track enough for racing so when I do I will use my B6. Just easier for the time I have to invest.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

So what shock set up are you running? Pistons, oil and springs? I'm curious because the springs in the photos look like the stock Jrx2 ones, and mine usually bottoms out easily on the stock springs.
Matt

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Losa5015 cartridges, yes stock silver springs and 30 wt. oil. I think 35 wt. oil in rear might be good, I have just not tried it yet. I am running on turf which is of course smooth, as for jumps it will hit on landing but most cars do if you don't hit landing perfectly. It has almost no droop, at full rear droop it is barely below bones level. Again ride height on turf needs to be very low.