New to me T4.2 Factory Team Kit

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

New to me T4.2 Factory Team Kit

Post by Basher67 »

Until now, my newest AE vehicle was my GT, but I've been thinking I might get back into racing a little bit. I have three good tracks within an hour of me and a well maintained private track a block away. This truck popped up on craigslist today and I jumped on it. The guy that sold it to me said it was a T4.2 Factory Team Truck and he had only run it a couple times. We settled on $65. This is way more modern than anything I own except for maybe my VXL Slash, but one look at all the blue anodized aluminum and titanium pieces and those beautiful big bore shocks and I figured it had to be a good deal. There was no transmitter or motor, but the receiver is a spektrum so I'll just bind it to one of my multi car transmitters. The esc is an XP SP SC700-BL. Don't know if it's a decent one or not. The body isn't painted to my taste but doesn't have any cracks. Looks brand new. The tires are definitely not for racing so Ill change those out. I'm hoping that with a proper setup, this might be a competitive truck on the local club racing level.
Attachments
DSC09486.JPG
DSC09487.JPG
DSC09489.JPG
DSC09490.JPG

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: New to me T4.2 Factory Team Kit

Post by Basher67 »

I was looking for motors for this truck and noticed the Reedy 3300kv 540-SL4. Seems really inexpensive at around $40. Anyone use one of these?

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Great score, dirt cheap and the truck looks extremely clean. Motors in the 6.5T - 8.5T range is well suited, unless your local Stadium Truck class is 10.5T blinky.

If your going to race it keep an eye on the ride height throughout the day, especially in the rear.

Here's my 4.2.....
Attachments
file-20.jpg
file-20.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
file-20.jpg
file-20.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I can't seem to find bodies for this truck anywhere. I just bought a jconcepts t4 body last christmas for my sons t3 and they were cheap and plentiful. Now I don't see anything. Does anyone know if a T5M body will fit a T4.2?

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Nevermind. I just realized the T5M shock towers are way too far to the rear for the bodies to be compatible. Anyone know of where I can get a t4 body these days?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

From what I was told the t4 bodies are gone but the newest losi body fits and it’s not cab forward. I can not verify this, and don’t even know what the newest Losi truck is called lol, but it might be worth looking into

Edit...just had a look and that one won’t fit. Looks like some of the 22t’s were rear motor tho. Might look at those
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

If you can't find T4.2 bodies you could swap out the front shock tower and use normal T4 bodies. If you don't like forward cab bodies you can still use the 4.2 tower with Associated #9821 SC10 front body posts and use 10T/T2/T3 bodies like in my picture above.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

That's what I needed to hear! going to order up those body posts right now. I do like the older bodies. Thanks

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

RC10th wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:47 pm If you can't find T4.2 bodies you could swap out the front shock tower and use normal T4 bodies. If you don't like forward cab bodies you can still use the 4.2 tower with Associated #9821 SC10 front body posts and use 10T/T2/T3 bodies like in my picture above.

I suddenly just became interested in T4's :lol:

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Just make sure you trim the front of body a little lower in order for it to look right on the T4.2

RCveteran wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 pm I suddenly just became interested in T4's :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Thanks for the tip. Just what I needed, for my collection to start a creep into the modern stuff. But if it's modern with an old body maybe it averages out.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

That was the idea, something modern that can run at the pointy end which is cheap and easy to get parts for, but looks old, lol.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I wasn't in love with the cab forward body. A classic 10T body will definitely be more my style. There is a body on ebay listed for a T4.3 that's not a bad looking design, but it comes prepainted and I prefer to do my own painting.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I ordered the front body posts and today I tried mocking up an assortment of 10T bodies. I don't know how you got these to fit. with the body sitting on top of the rear posts, its already lower than the front, and the front is sitting on the shock tower. If I drilled the holes for the rear, and the body posts you mentioned hold the front of the body right on top of the front tower, It will "technically" fit, but the front will be around 1/2" higher than the rear. Is there a taller rear mount too? :?
The more I contemplate this whole deal of T4 bodies not being available, the more it's pissing me off. One of the big reasons that I was always drawn towards AE cars and trucks was the neverending flow of parts support from both the factory and aftermarket. Now I can't even get a body for a 4 year old truck? What's the deal?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Don’t feel bad, people with brand new B6’s can’t get parts either. It comes in waves. Literally...on a slow boat from China

Associated isn’t what it used to be
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website