tomy intruder and adonis

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rccars4sal
Approved Member

tomy intruder and adonis

Post by rccars4sal »

Trying to enjoy rccars again. The adonis is mine originally, runner but in excellent shape. The intruder I got second hand. A little history as I think it happened:

The intruder looks like it was built, run, and not much else. Nothing broken or terribly bent. It was built using what looks like pink fingernail polish or red locktite on every single fastener. it was used to seal screw heads as well as lock em in place. Was dabbed on screw heads, and got all over the plastics and everything. A bit of a pain to remove, im still not sure. Anyway, the guts look untouched, diffs are smooth, belts and gears fine. Shocks are near mint. The biggest issue being the red paint.

My own car was run hard for a short time. It got broke and stayed that way for years till I scored a set of arms. Its complete, and the plastics are excellent. Guts are also excellent.

So, Ive got both cars stripped down, washed, and have the best plastics set aside and treated with camp dry. First build will be a pretty strait forward intruder with ball diffs and metal shocks. Mostly from the adonis plastics and then the intruder hard parts.

The adonis will remain in parts while the remaining plastics get cleaned up, and then Ill be reproing the shock towers, top deck, and rear plate in carbon fiber.

Nice project because its complete and not requiring $$. for my typical build anyway,, not mint just super nice and freshly built.

More pics as it progresses.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Re: tomy intruder and adonis

Post by rccars4sal »

junk yard.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Was playing mix and match with tomy and yokomo. Looks like the diffs are completely interchangeable. Intruders being fine pitch. Front knuckles easy enough to use Kyosho or Yokomo if you break 1. Think a yokomo center shaft could be adapted to use in the intruder, but the center gear diff layshaft for intruder is pretty much a no fit for yokomo. I dont have any other tomy center assemblies to try.

Not sure what the rear hubs look like, but pretty sure Ive seen the design on another car.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

if you need parts, i think alien3t has quite a bit.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Saw a while back he made a big buy out,, and saw a bunch of items on ebay. At the time I was concerned elsewhere. These 2 cars need nothing. I even found the missing shock collar intact. Whew.

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

IF the pitch is what is different. THe later cars the xpress uses the same center pully set up bassically. (bulkheads different) but what i can see was a different pitch than the TOMY. maybe those center pully gears on the tomy shaft with the yokomo pullys. I dont have a car. but Ultimate hobbies was the yokomo and tomy and xpress distributor. and he has the center pullys on the walls. still has a ton of xpress stuff left, (shop where i got all the tomy stuff) might be able to call them and get the pully.

http://www.rc-xpress.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

look at the pully kits, (diffs i think are a little different in offset.

I have looked at a tcs yokomo shaft and a tcp for tomy and the shafts were different. the Tomy controls slip to rear basically. yokomo controls full slip. I think Barry from fb has my tcp set up and will be trying to duplicate it so Tomy people can use. and the slip disc is pretty much same as yokomo iirc i sized them up

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

These 2 cars use the gear center diff. The rear drive pully is part of the spur gear assembly which is proprietary to these cars. The spur gear is too large. It would require a slot cut in chassis. Other than that, it looks like some spacers and correct flange bearings would allow fitment in Yokomo. If there are smaller gear sizes for Tomy then the center shaft would be adaptable.

I was wondering about the express parts too. Wondering if Yokomo 91 belts and pullies would match Tomy belt pitch.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Really nice plastics on these cars. Very surprizing because they dont seem frp. No broken or cracked screw locations anywhere!

Here are components of an intruder ball diff. The shiny aluminum parts are really meticulously finished. Drive cups thread in left and right on the shiny aluminum bits. Setting the diff is really easy. Its very touchy at the limit pf perfectness, but once set, then just tighten another small screw from the other side and its locked. Pretty cool and precise setup.

This might be the best vintage steering setup ever. Almost no bump steer, super smooth, no binding at extrem throws, no locking at full throw.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Ive been collecting slipper parts from a few different cars in an effort to complete another yokomo tcs and another hyper clutch. Got a bunch of shafts and pullies. It would be super cool to see the Tomy slipper set up. Must be similar to XX4? The center gear diff puts emphasis on rear drive While allowing either end to spin up if the other is experiencing drag. Surprisingly durable too.

Making a center drive to accept separate spur gears is def a must for continued abuse though.

Pretty sure Ive got the instructions showing some options for both these cars...

Beau S
Approved Member

Post by Beau S »

I had always wanted an Intruder!

Still looks as good as it did back then.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Agreed. Its a beautiful design. Ticks all the right boxes. With factory support and continued development, it could have been great.

I think the EX got some major changes, but never seen one myself.

The whole car is really smooth and drag free. Shocks are worlds ahead of anything else for the year. Belt tension is perfectly adjusted using the diff bearing cam holder things. Cant wait to run it.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Original body for the intruder. I think a re sticker job would really help.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Ugh. Almost hate to re body. Im not a fan of either style.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The Intruder body's a bit better, but you're right--they're both ugly...especially that rather unimaginative dome-like creation for the Adonis. :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Anybody got a picture of EX body style? Theres def a re body going to happen here.