* The OFFICIAL Slot Car Thread*

The place for all things Slot Cars.
scr8p
Administrator

* The OFFICIAL Slot Car Thread*

Post by scr8p »

we got an old shool bicycle thread, so why not a slot car one. :)

along with racing r/c's, i spent a lot of time racing 1/24 slot cars thoughout the 90's-early 2000's. i still have almost every single one of my cars. i haven't really looked at them in quite some time, so they might not all be in one piece anymore. but never the less, they're still here. :mrgreen:

i'm gonna work on digging them out and getting some pics. i was just looking to see if anyone else on here raced them back in the day...... or still does.

tizeye
Approved Member

Re: * The OFFICIAL Slot Car Thread*

Post by tizeye »

Grown men playing with little cars? :shock: ..don't be so ridiculous :lol:

SoloGraphix
Approved Member

Post by SoloGraphix »

I have and still do race Slot Cars at Zeppelin Hobbies in Wayne, NJ.

Right now we are focused on racing womps with EDM bodies. I make the majority of the bodies for all the cars, I will have to try and wrangle up some pics.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i think the last time i raced at zeppelin was around 93-94 during the keystone usra championship series.

SoloGraphix
Approved Member

Post by SoloGraphix »

I didn't start there until 97ish.

I raced a few times when I was much younger at Hot Slots in Stockholm, NJ. It's too bad that placed closed.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

he might not even race slots anymore, but did you/do you know a guy named mark miller? i'm pretty sure he was one of the "zeppelin guys" i used to race with in the keystone series. he had a son that raced in the youth division back then. he's probably in his mid 20's now.

i'd have to find some of my old usra newsletters to remember some of the other guys' names.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

SoloGraphix wrote:I have and still do race Slot Cars at Zeppelin Hobbies in Wayne, NJ.

Right now we are focused on racing womps with EDM bodies. I make the majority of the bodies for all the cars, I will have to try and wrangle up some pics.
Zeppelin was a lot of fun... in the 90s i ran slots with friends for fun.... then i got back into rc racing ...that place was the best rc racing and slots i ever been to...

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

I still have a Minic motorway Hornby HO size, original cars were GT40 and a bus, meshed with train tracks on crossings etc, not got the only slot set I had back in 1974 or so, had working headlight D type Jaguars, wish I still had it now.
did pick this up for a steal and a bit of fun a few weeks ago.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

this is cool since their isnt a hobby shop with in 100 miles of me I have been racing 1/24 slot cars. at Fas Traks of Maryland its a true 1/4 scale Drag strip.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I collect and race Aurora T-Jets and AFX cars, Have some faster ones from Wizzard but I rather race vintage! I have a nice HO track with pits, grandstands etc, but now it's just a RC10 storage table! :mrgreen:

I will try get some pics up on this thread later!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

bearrickster wrote:this is cool since their isnt a hobby shop with in 100 miles of me I have been racing 1/24 slot cars. at Fas Traks of Maryland its a true 1/4 scale Drag strip.
i raced 1/24 drag cars for a couple years. i had alot of fun with that. i have 7 or 8 of them, all set up for different index classes. i even found the vhs tape of the pro stock truck nationals i competed in in '99-'00. which reminds me, i want to have that converted to a dvd. :)

this is the only drag car of mine that i have a pic of on my computer (right now). it's a parma edge chassis with a AMT 40 willys model body. this was an awesome bracket car. 1.220's every pass, plus or minus a .001.
IMG_3436.jpg

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i could so get into slot drag cars... golly that would be fun.

out of curiousity, whats a good brand/style of slot car track to get? i look on ebay every once in awhile, but i dont know diddly about them.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

to be honest hoop, i have no idea what the "good stuff" is anymore. it's been almost 10 years since i bought anything for them. are there any tracks in your area?

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Our LHS has 4 kinds of track and several hundred cars for sale. A lot of the cars are beautiful works of art and ridiculously expensive. The track seems to be pretty pricey too. Here's a pretty one:
Attachments
imagemagicCAOIC09M.jpg
imagemagicCAOIC09M.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
imagemagicCAOIC09M.jpg
imagemagicCAOIC09M.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
Gary

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

SoloGraphix wrote:Right now we are focused on racing womps with EDM bodies.
this was is the edm i used to race at fastlane hobbies in jonestown, pa (later myerstown, pa) beginning in '91. it was based off a sprints plus chassis (narrow womp, more or less). i was there for a big race on their king track, and it was my first time at the place. when i walked in, the first thing i saw was a huge 8 lane oval with wicked high banking. it took all of 5 minutes of watching a couple guys running their sprints and edms, and i was hooked. i ran right over to the counter, and bought this one out of the case. i was gonna build my own, but until i would've bought all of the bits and pieces to have a legal car for their track, for a couple bucks more, i could just buy one right from them and it was ready to go. i eventually made a couple copies for guys i raced with at my "home track".

i know...... it's in sad shape. but, when you get nerfed in the center of the turns and go over the outside wall, that 5 ft. drop to the floor takes it's toll. :shock:
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG