Slot Cars

The place for all things Slot Cars.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Atlas
Approved Member

Slot Cars

Post by Atlas »

Haven't post here in a while--started a new hobby recently after getting a slot car set for Christmas. Attached are pictures of some of my cars.

Are there other slot car fans in this forum, please post pictures of your layout and cars.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Attachments
HO Slot Cars 001.jpg
HO Slot Cars 002.jpg

RC10resto

Re: Slot Cars

Post by RC10resto »

Here is a shot of my Tyco H.O. track in 1989 - track is on two 4X8 sheets. Separate transformers for each lane to avoid surging your buddy off the road and to have more power 8)
C'mon Rod this thread is all you :P

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I have a Tyco track (from 1983-4) that I set up for the kids. We picked up LifeLike Racing cars and they work really well. Most of my original cars are toast now.

When you set up the two transformers do you have to disconnect the lead to the unpowered side of the track on each of the pieces that the transformer and controller plug into? I have a second track that I could steal pieces from to make a two transformer set up like that and it would solve the 'surge' crashes. ;)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

I don't remember exactly what we did.........I believe we just cut one of the connections under the "power plug-in" track piece. We had to use a separate "power plug-in" track for each transformer. Just make sure power can only go to one lane on each track.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

That's what I thought you would have to do.
I found a picture from when I set it up for the kids the first time in 2005. It's in a different room now, but same setup. It's a Magnum 440 Grand Prix set.
Track.JPG
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

greazy
Approved Member

Post by greazy »

I have a Carrea set up with about 80' of track with 2 high bank curves and a techical section between them and 30+cars. It is set up 1:32 scale cars but it will take 1:24 scale also. My son and I went crazy with the stuff a few years ago. I dont have any pics now.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Nice Tomy AFX 4 Way Split, Atlas, Cool stuff! I'm a bit shy to show my track just now, because it's covvered with RC10 stuff. :oops: Just ask vintageAE!

It's a 10'x5' 2 lane, with mostly 12,15 and 18" radius turns. It only has one 9" turn (my hairpin) at the end of the longest straight. I use parma 60ohm controllers, and a custom 10 amp 18v power supply (to run NEO cars) rigged to a dimmer so I can lower voltage and run non magnet cars like T-Jets. It has a digital LCD photo cell lap timer.

Some of my cars:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Nice collection of AFX cars! I have a bunch myself, but not a fraction of what you have! My favorite car was probably the blue #7 Dodge Daytona. I also had a couple of rigs, not sure what happened to them though...they didn't drive very well, the trailers were always catching on the smallest track joint imperfections. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Post by RC10Eh »

Nice collection Rod , How do you have time for Associated and running the scaler's too ?

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

WOW. That's all I can say. I love this site...cause I forgot all about slot cars. I used to have these smaller scales and ran the bigger ones too...what were they? 1/32? Raced at A&S Hobbies in Fulton, NY (Where Redneck RC currently resides).

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Johnboy72 wrote:.what were they? 1/32?
the afx I believe are supposed to be 1/64 scale but its all in what you think the scale is. personally I believe the t-jets were closer to true 1/64 scale...but thats just my opinion.
slotcarrod wrote: I'm a bit shy to show my track just now, because it's covvered with RC10 stuff. :oops: Just ask vintageAE!
Aw comeon Rod, until yesterday mine was under 2 hours of moving boxes/packaging materials :lol:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

My buddy and me use to build retarded tracks like ones where you try to drive way up the wall turn around and make it down without falling, then jump them into oblivion lol.

The lhs has some reallllllllllllly nice larger scale slots of old rally cars and what not that im tempted to get into. I'm not sure what they are though.
2x rc10 A stamped, rc10t, rc18t, 3x rc10gt tamiya stuff - fox, lunchbox re-release, Custom chevy clod crawler, cc-01 pajero, 2x cc-01, kt full option, and 3 HL tanks. Looking for a rc250 and rc500

Zipster
Approved Member

Post by Zipster »

I just discovered a great local slot car place - three huge tracks (I guess they are all racing "standards") and a drag strip - took they kids yesterday and had a blast - the'll rent out the various classes of racing cars, which the kids really liked - crazy fast. Seems like they have a huge scene around the track, with racing 7 days a week, etc... ranging from 1:24th hard body cars to the "wing cars with huge clear wings to scale dragsters.... fun stuff...

Now if they only had an outdoor dirt RC track to go with it, it would be perfect :roll:

From the boys' reactions, I think there may be yet another hobby in the family! :D

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Zipster wrote: From the boys' reactions, I think there may be yet another hobby in the family! :D
Good deal! Its a good hobby to be in. Its also one of the dying hobbies that needs some new blood once in a while. Used to be you wanted to run on a different track you just went next town/city over and now its a few and far between thing. Good luck with the next hobby zipster...and beware...its addicting just like the r/c thing 8)
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Atlas
Approved Member

Post by Atlas »

slotcarrod -- you have a very nice collection of cars. How long did it take you to collect all those cars?

Zipster -- glad to hear about your slot car experience with your family.

My small collection is beginning to grow, got a few diesel race cars recently...
Attachments
Diesel Battle.jpg