Jamin's Losi XX-CR - Old Skool Pics

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jamin
Approved Member

Re: Jamin's Losi XX-CR - Another shiny motor plate!

Post by jamin »

Chillout47 wrote:OK, thanks for the info chaps, I'll do a bit of homework and see what's available - and I may just pick up a couple of those motor plates for keeps sake, I think they will be a good investment. Cheers.
There's a nice ally layshaft and ally rear driveshafts on eBay currently - if your thinking of doing a build snap them up!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

jamin wrote:There's a nice ally layshaft and ally rear driveshafts on eBay currently - if your thinking of doing a build snap them up!
:wink: ... hopefully got some of those driveshafts coming this week - I wouldn't recommend them for a runner (the ball ends would wear) but look great on a shelfer.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:
jamin wrote:There's a nice ally layshaft and ally rear driveshafts on eBay currently - if your thinking of doing a build snap them up!
:wink: ... hopefully got some of those driveshafts coming this week - I wouldn't recommend them for a runner (the ball ends would wear) but look great on a shelfer.
The pins through the bone are steel though surely Dan?

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Chillout47 wrote:OK, thanks for the info chaps, I'll do a bit of homework and see what's available - and I may just pick up a couple of those motor plates for keeps sake, I think they will be a good investment. Cheers.
I'm still amazed at how these NIP parts keep showing up on eBay! I just wonder where it all comes from... :o
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Chillout47 wrote:I am really tempted, but are there any parts for the XX that are just impossible to get?? don't want to get 90% of the parts together to build one then find out I have no chance of getting something. I am really picky with my shelf builds, I would not be able to use second hand parts to finish a build off either which I know would be a good source of parts.
These have just been relisted...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEAM-LOSI-A-3058-XX-Trans-case-set-2-19-1-Vintage-/321494681508?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ada9387a4#ht_712wt_1024

Hmmm! Maybe a little on the expensive side though... :shock:

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

LosiXXkid wrote:
Chillout47 wrote:I am really tempted, but are there any parts for the XX that are just impossible to get?? don't want to get 90% of the parts together to build one then find out I have no chance of getting something. I am really picky with my shelf builds, I would not be able to use second hand parts to finish a build off either which I know would be a good source of parts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEAM-LOSI-A-3058-XX-Trans-case-set-2-19-1-Vintage-/321494681508?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ada9387a4#ht_712wt_1024

You're not kidding!!!!

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

jamin wrote:
LosiXXkid wrote:

You're not kidding!!!!
Yep! $79.95 (plus shipping) for the XX 2.19:1 trans case..... ouch!

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Sure is when it says $5.00 on package :shock: I may hold on to my spare parts bin...you know...early retirement :lol: :lol: :roll:
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

some of these double xx prices gettign rediculous. lol i have bought 2 xx cars on craigslist for less than that trans case price. course the cars werent perfect. but got more parts in total.

Chillout47
Approved Member

Post by Chillout47 »

Wow, looks like it would cost an arm and a leg to put together a car from new parts. I think I will look for a really good condition runner to race alongside my FT B3, I got the B3 and a box of spares with enough bits to build a brand new car for the same price as that transmission case!! B3 is great to drive as well, not currently the same prestige as a XX, but a future classic in my opinion, and currently my favourite car.

It's funny how all of a sudden a certain part that you always see on ebay suddenly disappears - then they start showing up ten times the price once people realise the part has become really rare. I noticed this recently with Losi XXX front and rear carbon chassis plates.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Those idiots charging a fortune for those parts are ruining it for us collectors. I'm glad I'm mostly done withy builds now.

I picked up a NIB XX-CR Kinwald for £200 which was a bargain, but I don't think the seller knew exactly what it was, thankfully.

If you need a gearbox buy a used roller - they are not the sort of part that wears out - only the tabs at the front may crack.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

jamin wrote:
DerbyDan wrote:
The pins through the bone are steel though surely Dan?
Yes the pins are steel - but from what I remember the actual 'ball' part would wear making it sloppy in the outdrive... I never ran them but I remember my mate & Helger team driver (Matt Course) using them & having this issue.

Regarding the gearbox casing - the usual place where they break is at the front tabs... but I keep coming across them where the 4-40 tapped holes to the rear of the casing are stripped.. I think if the motorplate isn't quite folded right - it puts too much stress on the plastic when you tighten up the screws trying to compress the motorplate so it sits tight together between the T-plate & the G-Box.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

alien3t wrote:some of these double xx prices gettign rediculous. lol i have bought 2 xx cars on craigslist for less than that trans case price. course the cars werent perfect. but got more parts in total.
Buying the whole XX platform is definitely the way to go but it still surprises me how cheaply they can be had.........at least for now!

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

jamin wrote:Those idiots charging a fortune for those parts are ruining it for us collectors. I'm glad I'm mostly done withy builds now.

I picked up a NIB XX-CR Kinwald for £200 which was a bargain, but I don't think the seller knew exactly what it was, thankfully.

If you need a gearbox buy a used roller - they are not the sort of part that wears out - only the tabs at the front may crack.
Ben,

You were very, very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time - no doubt about it. Must be the bargain of the year... 8)

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

slapshot1979 wrote:Sure is when it says $5.00 on package :shock: I may hold on to my spare parts bin...you know...early retirement :lol: :lol: :roll:
It'll be interesting to see if any of them sell...