My Vintage Losi Stash & Build Thread *5-Link Build No.3!*

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage Losi Stash & Build Thread *Iconic Revival Upd

Post by DerbyDan »

I have recently been in contact with another member from Tamiyaclub requesting some specific vintage Losi parts having had a look on his behalf, I thought I'd better sort out the remaining JRX2 parts in my 'stash' to see what I had left, & if there were enough parts to build another decent JRX2 - indeed I still have a few new/unused parts to incorporate into this build :)

Having so far built the 'new' shelf car & the runner/racer... my hope is to use the 'best of the rest' parts to build my 3rd 5-link JRX2.... having had a good-ol' root around in various tubs & boxes I ended up with this tantalising selection of parts :wink:

Shocks & hinge pins are going to need some 'revitalising' but otherwise it should be all-good!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage Losi Stash & Build Thread *5-Link Build No.3!

Post by Coelacanth »

Your pre-build layout is so organized, the chassis will practically build itself. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

So missing a hinge pin or 2 and chassis screws? (looks like you have a bag of screws and nuts though) Looks freaking pretty complete to me. Oh, maybe black cap to antenna base. I give up, is there anything but a body missing? :)

I am so jealous. With all the parts I have had come and go, you wouldn't believe this, I have never ever held a JRX2 chassis in my hand. New or used. I have had ever other original JRX2 part at some point. I really want to build a JRX2 one of these days. I am just too stubborn and refuse to just buy one online. I want to find one in the real world, at a garage sale, hobby store or thrift shop. Just can't be through the internet.
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

mytimac wrote:So missing a hinge pin or 2 and chassis screws? (looks like you have a bag of screws and nuts though) Looks freaking pretty complete to me. Oh, maybe black cap to antenna base. I give up, is there anything but a body missing? :)

I am so jealous. With all the parts I have had come and go, you wouldn't believe this, I have never ever held a JRX2 chassis in my hand. New or used. I have had ever other original JRX2 part at some point. I really want to build a JRX2 one of these days. I am just too stubborn and refuse to just buy one online. I want to find one in the real world, at a garage sale, hobby store or thrift shop. Just can't be through the internet.
Ha-ha I think I've got everything covered - off to the left of my work bench there's some H'arm/hub assemblies which have the rear hinge pins I need, there's both parts for the aerial mount hidden behind the battery holder, that plastic bag you spotted is indeed full of fixings & I do have a spare new clear repro body ready for this car - the only thing I can think of that I'm missing is a wing wire, but it shouldn't be too hard to bend one up in piano wire :-)

You'll have to get yourself a JRX2, one-day Dan - they are such great cars, to have such an involvement in supplying us enthusiasts with parts & resource its criminal that you don't possess one! :shock:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Did a little work on the JRX2 'Best of the Rest' build over the Christmas break - progress was rather slow mainly due to time consuming nature involved with rejuvenating some of the rather rusted & sorry looking parts that I'm having to cobble together to make this build possible.

First off I had to turn my rather rusted hinge-pins & shock shafts into something... well less rusty & possibly a little shinier!

The two hinge-pins on the left are typical of what the others looked like before;

Shock shafts are OK but I would prefer new/better ones, the turnbuckles were showing surface rust but looked much better after a soak in some Plusgas & a scrub.

Then onto the gearbox - this along with the chassis were from a truck converted JRX2 that I brought from Ebay.US. The gearbox housings itself had the top fins intact but had the usual split where the top rear-most screw gets over tightened, this was duly repaired with some CA. The rest of the gears have been re-used including early spec top gear/layshaft, but new thrust bearing & honed diff plates were included in the rebuild;

All complete - not sure about that Robinson Racing spur gear - it looks pretty but it does rock about on the drive pin??

Then onto the shocks - which I must admit got me really disheartened :? I spent ages polishing up the bodies & was really pleased with the results considering how grotty they looked before, but on the final filling & tightening of the bottom loading cartridges it conspired that the removal of material from my polishing had thinned the body wall at the thread end, which caused small cracks to appear letting through the shock oil. I've since found another pair of medium length shocks for the rear & some short (XX) shock bodies (that had previously been shot-blasted silver) - to get some working shocks built up, they look OK but not as nice as they would have looked with the polished bodies :(

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Dan,

Just wondering what happened to this build......?

I've been away from R/C (and this forum) for a while so I'm just playing catchup.
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Just bumping out of curiosity to see another 5-link. :mrgreen:
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

shoman24v
Approved Member

Post by shoman24v »

Here you go:

| XXT | XXT 'CR' Graphite Plus | RC10T | RC10T2 | RC10 World's Re-release | HPI Blitz ESE | Schumacher SV2 |

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

That is not the 5 link I was looking for... :lol: But I have admired it more than once in your BST. 8)
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

shoman24v
Approved Member

Post by shoman24v »

Close enough :mrgreen: hehe

And it could be yours! 8)
| XXT | XXT 'CR' Graphite Plus | RC10T | RC10T2 | RC10 World's Re-release | HPI Blitz ESE | Schumacher SV2 |

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Sorry chaps! I've only just noticed that this thread got 'bumped up' - unfortunately JRX2 No.3 kinda stopped along with that last post about a year ago.... all the parts are residing in a box ready to be assembled into a car..... which probably wouldn't take too long, but its just finding that time!

My Love for Vintage Losi is still very strong... but I've rather been side-tracked by a pair of Schumachers (A Cougar1 & a ProCat) which I've been running whenever I can, I will get round to finishing off this 'Best of the rest' JRX2 build one day!