My Vintage Losi Stash & Build Thread *5-Link Build No.3!*

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage Losi 'Stash' & Build Thread *Vid added on Pg.

Post by LosiXXkid »

DerbyDan wrote:As LosiXXkid has pointed out - there's not alot going on here in the Losi section... so thought i'd share my recent exploits with two of my Losi cars;

I decided to enter the IconicRC revival meeting which happened yesterday (27th July). Now the racing was split into seperate catagories depending upon ability (amateur or pro ~ 'amateur' being aimed at the complete novice to racing), 2wd or 4wd & then age bracket... these being split into three 79~88, 89~93 & 94~98 - there was also one-off monster truck & Tamiya Wheelie car races. So I had to choose which of my runner/racers I wanted to enter, I've recently built & successfully raced a ProCat.... but with only two meetings under its belt I wanted to run something that has known durability.... my JRX2 (pre 88) that I raced last year & the XX (94-98) from the 2012 season were the perfect candidates!

Both cars had already been serviced with refreshed gearboxes/diffs but had been stripped of their electrics - so with electrics installed & a new painted shell for the JRX2 I was ready to go!

The JRX2 is still running the 8.5 Orion Vortex BL motor - but the venerable LRP Sphere I was using last year is currently residing in the ProCat, I managed to pick-up a cheap hardly used LRP 'Spin' Pro ESC off ebay for £20 - i'd not heard of this speedo before but it is marketed as an upgrade to the items that come in an RTR car - but with a motor limit of 5.5 its perfect for the Losi! The XX is running a 12t Triple brushed Corally spec motor (Left over from the STCC series) matched up with the old LRP ICS digital that was first fitted in my original Losi XX BITD!

New body for the JRX2 mounted & stickered up - posing with the new-build shelf car;

Anyway to cut a long race-day story short (& it was a long day - not helped by race control computer issues) I managed to finish 1st O/A in the 79~88 class with the JRX2 & runner up in close fought battle in the 94~98 2wd class. The top two in each class then qualified to go onto a champion-of-champions final (there were individual finals for 2wd & 4wd).... so I had qualified both cars into the same final! - I opted to run the JRX2, which being in the oldest catagory gave me pole position.... the newer cars given a handicap by having to start the race further around the track.... knowing that my JRX2 had been going only about 1/2 lap slower than my XX all day - I knew that I was in with a chance of the win.... & so it proved!

Dan!

Your runner X2 looks really slick with its new shell......great paint scheme and nice choice of colours. The look of the original Losi is seriously hard to beat IMO......and makes me want to race again!

Plus, what a great result for you....... 8)
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

Peakey
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage Losi Stash & Build Thread *Iconic Revival Upd

Post by Peakey »

Well done dan !! Let look great. I'm so gutted I couldn't make it i was really looking forward to meeting everyone. I had a family emergency and I didn't get home till about 6:30 Sunday morning :( and I knew I wouldn't last the day on no sleep.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Very nice looking Losi buggies! - Excellent paintwork!!!!

Limestang

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Wow Dan!! Congrats!! Got it with the little Losi that could.. Love the new look.. 8)

I love your race box as well.. Some great cars there.. :wink:

Shawn

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Peakey wrote:Well done dan !! Let look great. I'm so gutted I couldn't make it i was really looking forward to meeting everyone. I had a family emergency and I didn't get home till about 6:30 Sunday morning :( and I knew I wouldn't last the day on no sleep.
Sorry you couldn't make it Peakey... I was looking out for you & wondered if you were there - you miss a good day :( I do hope the family emergency wasn't too serious? :|

The wooden race box I made with my dad back in the 90s (93/94ish) - it had up, until recently been residing in my parent's loft & had suffered with a bit of mould... but to fit in with the theme of things I decided to dust/wipe it down & re-use it for last Sunday's meeting (especially as there was a prize at stake for the 'Best Vintage Pit Set-up') Here's a picture of it from Bitd with my three cars from that time - Mardave Cobra (in the box) my original Losi XX on the left & Associated RC12L on the right... all three cars were raced regularly... I just wish I hadn't sold the Losi :-(

Gotto admit that i'm super stoked with how the body turned out... I just wanted to do something quick & easy... the design was inspired by the Box-Art JRXPro but the combination of colours was suggested by my fiancee' - I think she did rather well! 8)

highwayracer
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage Losi 'Stash' & Build Thread

Post by highwayracer »

DerbyDan wrote:
sgirouard wrote:I LOVE the paint job on that. Just a classic looking top rate build. Great job Dan!!
Thanks everyone for your kind comments.... I cannot lay claim to the bodyshell design, I copied the box art scheme from the 'Proformance' upgrade kit for the JRX2, in-particular this coloured-in render which I believe was done by Highwayracer??

Apparently they are Gil Losi Jr's colours?
Your cars look great!!!

And yes, I did color in that jrx proformance box. If you look at the prime time decal, it normally says "Selected Sanyo Cells". Im my version of the picture, it says "Highwayracer" :lol:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage Losi 'Stash' & Build Thread

Post by DerbyDan »

highwayracer wrote:
DerbyDan wrote:
sgirouard wrote:I LOVE the paint job on that. Just a classic looking top rate build. Great job Dan!!
Thanks everyone for your kind comments.... I cannot lay claim to the bodyshell design, I copied the box art scheme from the 'Proformance' upgrade kit for the JRX2, in-particular this coloured-in render which I believe was done by Highwayracer??

Apparently they are Gil Losi Jr's colours?
Your cars look great!!!

And yes, I did color in that jrx proformance box. If you look at the prime time decal, it normally says "Selected Sanyo Cells". Im my version of the picture, it says "Highwayracer" :lol:
Haha - I never noticed that it said Highwayracer below the 'Primetime' logo :mrgreen: This image was invaluable when I sprayed up the 'Proformance' body for the shelf car (was a long while ago now!), so a massive thanks to you 8)

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Here's some gratuitous shots from the weekend that have appeared on the Iconic RC Facebook page... of my cars in action :D

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

Great job! Looks good as well.
This makes me want to put together a Jrx2 to go race now.
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Love this one......
Gettin' the power down...
Gettin' the power down...
...there even appears to be a bit of a roost as well!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

LosiXXkid wrote:Love this one......

...there even appears to be a bit of a roost as well!
Sure is - the sand that the astro was laid on is coming through to the surface.. so you get these rather satisfying roosters which appear when you put the power down or carving through a bend :D

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

All Your Losis (and the WCS too, did You drove with it?) looks great. I especially like both Jrx2 cars:
- Proformance Kit schema is always beutiful and Yours is also well masked and painted. Is the yellow-orange border straight or made with airbrush?
- White & Blue car is also really really nice and well masked and painted too

How did the 5-link work on astro? The weight distribution is interesting: lightweight LiPo "on back" and a lot of added weight over front buckhead.

Jirka

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Jirka wrote:All Your Losis (and the WCS too, did You drove with it?) looks great. I especially like both Jrx2 cars:
- Proformance Kit schema is always beutiful and Yours is also well masked and painted. Is the yellow-orange border straight or made with airbrush?

How did the 5-link work on astro? The weight distribution is interesting: lightweight LiPo "on back" and a lot of added weight over front buckhead.

Jirka
What masking tape did you use to get the curves so acurate? Amazing work...

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

cars look great, dan! 8)

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Jirka wrote:All Your Losis (and the WCS too, did You drove with it?) looks great. I especially like both Jrx2 cars:

Jirka
The JRX2 has run on astro before (although that was higher grip than on Sunday)... also on grass & the car handles really well on both surfaces, with minimal of adjustment, however despite all that added weight over the front, the cars dominating handling trait is towards understeer..... & massive amounts of on-power traction. I do really like driving it since its just so dependable.

Thank you for the kind comments on my shells - regarding the Proformance Box-Art scheme sheel, the orange fade into yellow is with an airbrush, but the line between the flouro Yellow & the white is a masked :wink:
LosiXXkid wrote:What masking tape did you use to get the curves so acurate? Amazing work...
I generally use tape since most of my designs involve straight lines (too tricky for me to cut when using spray mask) But good quality tape is essential... my local motor factors sell the 3M stuff in different widths & this I've found is the best. The other tip I can pass on is that when laying on the masking tape, is to make sure it is 'relaxed' when you push it into any undulations/corners in the shell - that way it doesn't lift off over time or when the first coat of paint dries (sometimes shrinking the tape).