Project XX

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

oldrc
Approved Member

Re: Project XX

Post by oldrc »

Front tower:

Just waiting for my stuff from Sabula to arrive before I can fit it.

I just had a root around and found some logo wheels, is there any way to get them to fit the xx? Rears fit perfect and actually do not catch on the rear arms like the 5 spokes. I know they arn't the right ones for the car but I really like the retro-y-ness of them!

Also found a retrofit transmission case up there too! Probably worth a few bob I imagine?
I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Front tower:

Just waiting for my stuff from Sabula to arrive before I can fit it.

I just had a root around and found some logo wheels, is there any way to get them to fit the xx? Rears fit perfect and actually do not catch on the rear arms like the 5 spokes. I know they arn't the right ones for the car but I really like the retro-y-ness of them!

Also found a retrofit transmission case up there too! Probably worth a few bob I imagine?
The front shock tower looks great. Do they make a rear one to match?

With regard to the Logo wheels, the rears obviously fit as they share the same axle/ drive pin format. However, the only issue you will have is finding suitable tyres to fit. The rear Logo wheels are 2.0" but all the modern tyres are mostly 2.2".

If you want to run the front Logo wheels then one possible option would be to retro-fit the JRX2 spindles and carriers onto the XX front arms. It may be possible to drill out the outer holes in the XX arms to accommodate the larger 1/8" hinge pin found on the X2. Another option would be to try and utilise the XXT spindles as they appear to share the same size axle/ bearing combination although this may need some investigating.
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Yes they do a rear to match but I'm not sure how you'd mount the wing. I did think about it (still am) and deduced that you'd probably have to permanent mount the wing using for example, schumacher type wing mounts, and then cut off the rear of the shell that goes over the motor. Unless of course someone makes proper mounts for the job...

Are the 2.0 tyres really hard to get then? Is it a old new stock job?
I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Yes they do a rear to match but I'm not sure how you'd mount the wing. I did think about it (still am) and deduced that you'd probably have to permanent mount the wing using for example, schumacher type wing mounts, and then cut off the rear of the shell that goes over the motor. Unless of course someone makes proper mounts for the job...

Are the 2.0 tyres really hard to get then? Is it a old new stock job?
I see what you mean. The standard XX rear shock tower includes the wing mount and personally I prefer the look of the body over the transmission and motor! You could use XX4 or XXX wing mounts (I think they are the same or very similar) but it would obviously require the removal of the rear of the body.

From my experience when trawling through eBay, there are 2.0" tyres out there but they are generally used examples, new ones can be found but they are usually quite expensive. This is fine for a 'shelfer', and maybe a little light use round the garden, for example, but if you intend to race then you will want a ready supply of tyres and unfortunately that means having to use the newer 2.2" tyre size. :(

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Hmm it will have to be 2.2 then, are there any wheels available similar to the logo wheels? Might sell my logo ones then, we'll see.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Hmm it will have to be 2.2 then, are there any wheels available similar to the logo wheels? Might sell my logo ones then, we'll see.
When you say similar to the logo wheels, do you mean dish type wheels? Obviously there's the XXX wheels that will fit and Pro-Line make some dish wheels, like these:

http://sabulatech.com/storefront/product.php?id_product=2686

Unfortunately you don't see too many of the rears though.

You'll also find wheels from the likes of Ballistic Buggy, Fastrax and JC Racing. Dan (DerbyDan) runs a JRX2 fitted with Yokomo wheel adapters which allow him to run modern tyres but finding the wheel adapters may require a lot of patience! You can see them, and the wheels he uses in this thread (if you haven't already looked through it)...

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24503

In terms of availability, the original XX and XXX wheels are still quite easy to obtain although it is getting harder to find new ones.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Oh yes, I need a complete titanium hinge pin set, has anyone seen one anywhere?
Just in case you're still looking...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Losi-XX-Titanium-Hinge-Pins-Lunsford-Racing-H-514-Vintage-RC-Parts-/301314221616?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4627ba2630

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

I think it will be easier to stick to my 5 spokes, when I can actually find some 'natural' ones that are all the same colour...

Thanks for the link :)

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Well I have decided that I'll just stick to the hinge pins I have, I don't really have time to wait for more stuff from the states to arrive as I really want the car up and running for next month and I'm still way off as it is...

Hopefully my Sabula Tech order will arrive today.

Edit... It hasn't, sigh :(

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Well I have decided that I'll just stick to the hinge pins I have, I don't really have time to wait for more stuff from the states to arrive as I really want the car up and running for next month and I'm still way off as it is...

The wait for something that you need always appears to take 'longer' than waiting for something that you don't need! I just get impatient regardless of whether I need it or not.... :lol:

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Indeed tell me about it. Thing is I have ordered a front bulkhead so can't do anything else now until that comes, basically the whole front end.

So in the mean time... I now have my Kinwald with nearly all new parts, I have all the original parts as spares for it, in fact so many spares a chassis would probably make it complete...

I have now rebuilt the CR completely and I have loads of spares for that as well, again another chassis would see me probably able to build another car. So which brings me to the fact that I don't need it ALL, so I think I'm going to sell the CR to recoup some of my costs (which is a LOT).

This will leave me with my Kinwald complete and minty fresh and almost a spare Kinwald minus the chassis to go with it, plenty enough 'XX' for me I think! I always wanted a Vintage Tamiya so I would use the funds towards that.

Other thoughts and questions: I'm not mad keen on the Kinwald bodyshell so *might* get a CR one to go on it, where is the best place to source one in the UK?

Are there any online suppliers/retailers out there that have any vintage stock left?

Where can I get a nice set of allen drivers and socket drivers to suit Losi sizes?

When it comes to the painting of the bodyshell I'll need some masks, where is a good place to buy them? Are different shapes/sizes available or would I have to custom make them?

Cheers :)

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Indeed tell me about it. Thing is I have ordered a front bulkhead so can't do anything else now until that comes, basically the whole front end.

So in the mean time... I now have my Kinwald with nearly all new parts, I have all the original parts as spares for it, in fact so many spares a chassis would probably make it complete...

I have now rebuilt the CR completely and I have loads of spares for that as well, again another chassis would see me probably able to build another car. So which brings me to the fact that I don't need it ALL, so I think I'm going to sell the CR to recoup some of my costs (which is a LOT).

This will leave me with my Kinwald complete and minty fresh and almost a spare Kinwald minus the chassis to go with it, plenty enough 'XX' for me I think! I always wanted a Vintage Tamiya so I would use the funds towards that.

Other thoughts and questions: I'm not mad keen on the Kinwald bodyshell so *might* get a CR one to go on it, where is the best place to source one in the UK?

Are there any online suppliers/retailers out there that have any vintage stock left?

Where can I get a nice set of allen drivers and socket drivers to suit Losi sizes?

When it comes to the painting of the bodyshell I'll need some masks, where is a good place to buy them? Are different shapes/sizes available or would I have to custom make them?

Check eBay for the completed/ sold listings using Losi XX as the search criteria and you'll arrive at the conclusion that it's probably not worth selling it.....you might be better off parting it out or offering it up in the BST.

Here's a XX body shell from a UK source...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Losi-Xx-Bodyshell-New-Uncut-Reproduction-Lexan-Team-Vintage-/271581547467?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3f3b858bcb

...don't know anything about the quality but I do know that it doesn't come with window masks. :(

Original XX body shells do come up from time to time (eBay) but it's probably not a good idea to hold your breath!

When it comes to Allen wrenches, there's these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Losi-Imperial-Race-Wrench-Set-0-50-1-16-5-64-3-32-LOSA99104-/281441809292?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item41873d338c

And the nut driver's...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Losi-Nutdriver-Set-Imperial-4pcs-LOSA99150-/361053029113?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item54107002f9

As far as paint masks go, I just searched "rc paint mask" on eBay (worldwide) which returned 415 results. It'll give you some ideas if nothing else!

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

LosiXXkid wrote:
oldrc wrote:Indeed tell me about it. Thing is I have ordered a front bulkhead so can't do anything else now until that comes, basically the whole front end.

Check eBay for the completed/ sold listings using Losi XX as the search criteria and you'll arrive at the conclusion that it's probably not worth selling it.....you might be better off parting it out or offering it up in the BST.

Here's a XX body shell from a UK source...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Losi-Xx-Bodyshell-New-Uncut-Reproduction-Lexan-Team-Vintage-/271581547467?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3f3b858bcb

...don't know anything about the quality but I do know that it doesn't come with window masks. :(

Original XX body shells do come up from time to time (eBay) but it's probably not a good idea to hold your breath!

When it comes to Allen wrenches, there's these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Losi-Imperial-Race-Wrench-Set-0-50-1-16-5-64-3-32-LOSA99104-/281441809292?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item41873d338c

And the nut driver's...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Losi-Nutdriver-Set-Imperial-4pcs-LOSA99150-/361053029113?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item54107002f9

As far as paint masks go, I just searched "rc paint mask" on eBay (worldwide) which returned 415 results. It'll give you some ideas if nothing else!
I would rather sell it complete to be honest, would like to see it used by someone rather than people picking up the odd spare part. We'll see...

That shell on ebay is the original, I like the CR shell and I can only find one overseas.

I'll do a search for the masks, see if I can get anything near to what I want :)

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

oldrc wrote:Well I have decided that I'll just stick to the hinge pins I have, I don't really have time to wait for more stuff from the states to arrive as I really want the car up and running for next month and I'm still way off as it is...

I also did another $100 at Sabula last week, rebuilding old stuff ain't cheap!

I actually did score another find last week, rummaged through the box where I found my old Kinwald, and pulled this out:

Sprayed it all up with degreaser, have now cleaned it all up. It's an original first gen XX chassis (chassis has underside marks), with black bulkhead and 2.19 trans case in perfect condition.

It never ends does it!

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Damn, I need some old boxes like yours! :)