New Member - Trying to rebuild an XX-T

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sunshineFC3s

Re: New Member - Trying to rebuild an XX-T

Post by sunshineFC3s »

Lastly (for today) I have been somewhat annoyed at the XX-T's front fixed axle design. Limits wheel choice, and ability to rotate tires. So, 12mm hex conversion was in order. Since my basher is a 2wd Slash, I had some slash parts laying around. Lets see if we can make them fit?
Attachments
traxxas front conversion1.jpg
traxxas front conversion2.jpg

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Where do you get the dye? I still need to dye my steering parts as well? Are there different colors of black?

sunshineFC3s

Post by sunshineFC3s »

lavigna wrote:Where do you get the dye? I still need to dye my steering parts as well? Are there different colors of black?
I used Rit dye. Its supposedly available everywhere. I got mine at my local supermarket, in the cleaning supplies isle. They should have them at Walmart, Target, CVS, ect... A fabric store might have more color choices. My supermarket only had the black and the navy. Here are their colors: https://www.ritstudio.com/color-library/core-colors/

good luck!

sunshineFC3s

Post by sunshineFC3s »

Took delivery of another lot of parts. Most of the stuff appears to be for a XXX, but there was some XX/XX-T stuff in there. I have a few questions...

1) This is in reference to @Jamin with regard to one of his XX-T G+ pictures (see below). I tried to mock up the XXX aluminum rear bearing carrier and it put the bearings too far out, so the axle would barely touch the out-drive cup. Is there a solution to this? Jamin's pic shows a different a-arm, is that one narrower? Or is the axle shaft longer in his photo? I tried both the standard and CR style rear a-arm, both appear to be the same length.

2) In the parts lot, I got a ton of springs, can someone help me "decode" the rates? I posted a pic before (on page 2 of this thread), but was told that rate chartwas inaccurate. The following colors are there: pink, silver, yellow, blue, grey, black, orange.

3) The parts lot also had a bunch of small (short springs). What are these for?

As always, much appreciate the help!
-Alex
Attachments
Jamins Rear Setup.jpg
rear susp1.jpg
rear susp2.jpg
springs1.jpg
springs2.jpg

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

sunshineFC3s wrote:Took delivery of another lot of parts. Most of the stuff appears to be for a XXX, but there was some XX/XX-T stuff in there. I have a few questions...

1) This is in reference to @Jamin with regard to one of his XX-T G+ pictures (see below). I tried to mock up the XXX aluminum rear bearing carrier and it put the bearings too far out, so the axle would barely touch the out-drive cup. Is there a solution to this? Jamin's pic shows a different a-arm, is that one narrower? Or is the axle shaft longer in his photo? I tried both the standard and CR style rear a-arm, both appear to be the same length.

As always, much appreciate the help!
-Alex
Hey Alex,

I feel like I am obliged to reply since its my build that is causing the confusion, sorry!

Check out the parts below I used for that rear end - if you look closely I used XXX parts - VLA rear arms (longer than the XX), XXX inner pivot block (narrower than the XX) and XXX rear hubs. Using all three means you can still run the same length drive shafts (axle). You are using a XX pivot block and wishbones, which is fine, but as those hubs are XXX you will have the problem you describe. In fact from the picture you have posted below you can see that the pivot hole on the hub is wildly different between the trinity (near the inner bearing) and plastic (almost centre of bearings) versions. The best thing you can do is get a set of Trinity XX hubs - I think there are some on ebay currently and ditch those hubs you have. Hope that helps.

I ended up using a full XX rear end after a few months after these picture anyway! :roll:

Ben

sunshineFC3s

Post by sunshineFC3s »

Thanks, Ben! I was hoping you would chime in, but there is certainly nothing to apologize for. I knew it was a mix-n-match, but I'm just not well versed enough in the nuances of these cars. Your reply helped me a great deal!
-Alex

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

sunshineFC3s wrote:Thanks, Ben! I was hoping you would chime in, but there is certainly nothing to apologize for. I knew it was a mix-n-match, but I'm just not well versed enough in the nuances of these cars. Your reply helped me a great deal!
-Alex
No problem :D

sunshineFC3s

Post by sunshineFC3s »

A bit of an update...

The one piece diff nut arrived, so I reassembled the diff replacing the two piece lock-nut that kept wanting to strip out. Then, decided it was time for a shakedown run. Must say, I'm a bit disappointed at how slow it was. Running a "diamond" (white -12x2 -33,700RPM) Speed Gems 2 motor, 88t spur, and 17t pinion, I would say it was a little slower than my 2wd Slash on beginner mode (50% power reduction). I know I have a lot of fine tuning to do, but I hope you guys can give me some tips on how to get some more power out of this truck. I have a bunch of spare motors, pinions and spurs to try. But I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

On the other hand, the handling was amazing. Light years ahead of my Slash (my only point of comparison).

Thanks!
-Alex

EDIT: Just had the realization that my ESC may be out of spec. I need to set the neutral and throttle pots per the instructions.