Is the reedy radon horrible?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Superev1l

Is the reedy radon horrible?

Post by Superev1l »

I bought two radons for my vintage losi trucks and they over heat like crazy. I am geared 14/90 on my xxxt and 14/88 on my lxt,and im seeing constant almost 200 degree temps. I was just out bashing the lxt and the motor just shut down. So i figure its my lvd and nope im still at 7.8v,so i wait for like 30 seconds and poof it runs again for about 10 seconds and shuts off. At this point the truck is almost too hot to touch anywhere around the motor. People say its because i run in grass.

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Re: Is the reedy radon horrible?

Post by TRX-1-3 »

the grass. Keep off the grass. unless it is a golf green. But then stay off that as well. Seriously though, try running it out of the grass and see what temps you get. What battery /esc are you using? The Reedy Radon should be an alright little motor. More solid than that Titan 12T. How long are your run times? It might be a combination of grass and a giant battery causing the motor to work too hard for too long.

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, that is true. grass is a hard surface for 1/10 scale RC. if you are running for more than 10 minutes as well, you will be making that motor pretty hot working hard. It also sounds like you may have damaged a winding if it stops, cools, and then operates again.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

jwscab wrote:yeah, that is true. grass is a hard surface for 1/10 scale RC. if you are running for more than 10 minutes as well, you will be making that motor pretty hot working hard. It also sounds like you may have damaged a winding if it stops, cools, and then operates again.
Sounds more like the esc has overheat protection to me. And if you run on grass... Dont do it for antire pack and gear down before you start

Superev1l

Post by Superev1l »

I was running 2s lipo and a traxxas xl5,the esc was slightly warm,but nowhere near hot. And it was a lot of high rpm grass running. The motor was so hot when i went to pick it up by the motor guard it was even hot. I guess the motor doesnt like the grass at all. The other radon i have is in my rc10t now and it runs hot but doesnt burn up.

I guess im just suprised because none of my other brushed motors motors do it. I have two speed gem nitronites,Two p2k pros,trinity sapphire,a titan 550 and a dynamite 20t and i beat the hell out of all of them and they dont heat up so bad

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Which winding does it have?

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

I would assume it's a 17 Turn, the Radon was/is the el cheapo AE RTR motor. Pretty much a Traxxas Stinger, Titan 12T, HPI Firebolt, random Dynamite 20 Turn or any Tamiya Stock motor. They are "ok" to goof around but as soon as you subject them to running on grass or long run times, they tend to overheat or perform poorly.

It's the nature of the beast. They are designed to be cheap, with basic bushings, barely balanced rotors and the bare minimum of QA checks.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Got the picture, but I'd definitely gear a 12 turn different from a 20turn.
It might need fresh brushes... Or just a good maintenance, making sure the brushes sit free etc.As it's been so hot the collector might need trueing now,and the bushes replacing.

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

The Titan 12 Turn is a 550 motor. It's a wee bit longer than a 540, so it ends up having a smaller number of turns for the same length of wire when compared to a 15-17 Turn 540.

You do gear it different, since it has a somewhat different power curve.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.