New guy with a forgotten XX

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DeeDoubleYou

New guy with a forgotten XX

Post by DeeDoubleYou »

Hi all, I stumbled across this forum whilst looking for parts for my XX, it's great to see all these old cars still in action, I was a bit surprised to find a Losi section on an RC10 forum, what happened to the rivalry!? :D

I was quite into RC cars when I was at school but never really had enough money to get into racing properly, had a few cars (Schumacher Bosscat, Tamiya FWD thing, Schumacher Fireblade and I think a maybe a Schumacher Cougar 2000 and a XX4 briefly). If the selection of Schumachers doesn't make it obvious enough, I am over in the UK!

Anyway, I discovered a box full of bits at my Mum's house last year, some bits are familiar but I cannot for the life of me ever remember buying this car, let alone racing it! I can only assume that I bought it from someone that would have raced at Planet Hampshire, but really do not remember anything about it. I do vaguely remember loaning the car to a friend after not using it for a while, when it returned it had a broken chassis brace and was given a good ignoring to. Since then it looks like the servo has gone missing along with half the motor, I suspect my nephews may have been poking about and borrowing things...

I don't think those cells are going to hold a charge too well... :lol:

As you can see, new chassis brace needed, motor, battery straps, cells and probably a few other odds and ends. I do remember buying the Schumacher charger, so am really confused about where the car came from... I packed the hobby in a few times and sold up, so to end up with my charger and a set of cells I recognise back but without remember anything else about the car is really bizarre!

So, I've managed to track down a chassis brace for it just because I know they aren't readily available and I at least have it there if I choose to get it up and running again. After reading a manual online it looks like it's missing the mounting posts for the servo, does anyone know if they are available!?

I'm still not sure if I will get it up and running, but I mistakenly went along to a race meet recently and now am hankering for a car to play about with. I might just pick up a Tamiya to mess around with but am considering also grabbing the extra running gear to get this one up and running.

Anyway, I'm off to poke about the forums a bit more, researching and generally lusting after everyone else's cars that look a lot nicer than this one ever will!

knixdad
Approved Member

Re: New guy with a forgotten XX

Post by knixdad »

Who steals an endbell? Honestly?

[youtube]an0bVaTjF_Y[/youtube]
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

DeeDoubleYou

Post by DeeDoubleYou »

knixdad wrote:Who steals an endbell? Honestly?

[youtube]an0bVaTjF_Y[/youtube]
I know! I can only assume one of my nephews has seen it sat there and took it upon themselves to try and fix it, I'm sort of clutching at straws as to why it's in such a state!
Like I said, know I was going to sell it to a friend but then they gave it back after breaking the upper brace, but I very much doubt I would have let them get away with returning it to me with bits missing like that.

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

John is that really you? I lent you this car years ago remember me now? :lol:

At least I'm no the only one with a bad memory. I think I left my Madcap, Works Cougar and lots of spares in a lock up garage when I moved out years ago. I'm a sucker for keeping boxes but cant find them either. Only a Madcap box which I thought was in great condition but does have a rip.

I am slowly sorting through my Mums loft but confident the cars are gone, at least you have found yours. Good luck getting it running again.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Here (once you are approved), oldrc.com and eBay are your friends for this car. Even with broken and missing parts, that's still a clean and nice looking buggy. Be careful with it though if you get it running. These darn things tend to multiply!! :lol:
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

matt1ptkn wrote:Here (once you are approved), oldrc.com and eBay are your friends for this car. Even with broken and missing parts, that's still a clean and nice looking buggy. Be careful with it though if you get it running. These darn things tend to multiply!! :lol:
Don't they just!

When I joined, I had one Double-X and enough spares (minus a chassis) for another one. Now I have four Double-X's, four Juniors and almost two JRX-2...... :shock:
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

DeeDoubleYou

Post by DeeDoubleYou »

LosiXXkid wrote:
matt1ptkn wrote:Here (once you are approved), oldrc.com and eBay are your friends for this car. Even with broken and missing parts, that's still a clean and nice looking buggy. Be careful with it though if you get it running. These darn things tend to multiply!! :lol:
Don't they just!

When I joined, I had one Double-X and enough spares (minus a chassis) for another one. Now I have four Double-X's, four Juniors and almost two JRX-2...... :shock:
I see you are Hampshire based too... I'm assuming that's Hampshire in the south of England and not somewhere Stateside!? I'm in Basingstoke.

I promise not to let this hobby... no, hobby is to strong a word... this passing interest get out of hand, I already have cycling to suck up all of my spare cash and more!

DeeDoubleYou

Post by DeeDoubleYou »

Now I think I'm just missing the servo posts and the screws to hold it all down and then I have a rolling chassis, all intact! :)

urpaldan
Approved Member

Post by urpaldan »

A bellend maybe?? :D

I have servo posts if you can't find any. Drop me a pm if your stuck

DeeDoubleYou

Post by DeeDoubleYou »

urpaldan wrote:
A bellend maybe?? :D

I have servo posts if you can't find any. Drop me a pm if your stuck
Thank you for the offer, that may prove to be very helpful.

I did pop along to a race meet last night (no buggies or anything) and an old friend of mine that used to race said he has a box of XX spares I can have! I'll get that and see what's there, if not I may take you up on that. Thanks again.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

DeeDoubleYou wrote:
LosiXXkid wrote:
Don't they just!

I see you are Hampshire based too... I'm assuming that's Hampshire in the south of England and not somewhere Stateside!? I'm in Basingstoke.

I promise not to let this hobby... no, hobby is to strong a word... this passing interest get out of hand, I already have cycling to suck up all of my spare cash and more!
Yes, ......actually I'm right on the Surrey / Hampshire border.....

I went through a phase of buying up several trucks and buggies that I wanted to restore almost to the point of overload so I've had to have a sensible conversation with myself! The main problem now is finding the time.... :lol:
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

DeeDoubleYou

Post by DeeDoubleYou »

Well, I've now sourced some new screws to hold my new chassis brace in place and I have a servo sat in there now too, only thing I still need to source is the servo posts and I'll be good to go.

Frustratingly, I decided to buy myself a Tamiya kit to play about with, it arrived on Thursday, I built it that night, took it for a spin on Saturday and broke it. So now I have two cars that I could almost use, but not quite :( New parts for the Tamiya should arrive today, so at least I can get one working.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DeeDoubleYou wrote:Well, I've now sourced some new screws to hold my new chassis brace in place and I have a servo sat in there now too, only thing I still need to source is the servo posts and I'll be good to go.
I may have some spare servo posts for the XX - let me check tonight and i'll get back to you.

DeeDoubleYou

Post by DeeDoubleYou »

jamin wrote:
DeeDoubleYou wrote:Well, I've now sourced some new screws to hold my new chassis brace in place and I have a servo sat in there now too, only thing I still need to source is the servo posts and I'll be good to go.
I may have some spare servo posts for the XX - let me check tonight and i'll get back to you.
Thanks, if you have some spare that would be great. I think urpaldan was trying to look some out for me too but not too sure yet if he has them.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DeeDoubleYou wrote:Thanks, if you have some spare that would be great. I think urpaldan was trying to look some out for me too but not too sure yet if he has them.
Apologies, I forgot to look last night - even though I did some RC stuff. Doh. I'll try again tonight!