New build - XXX-S Graphite - updated 13/06

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

S1mma
Approved Member

New build - XXX-S Graphite - updated 13/06

Post by S1mma »

I've been a bit lazy recently, not built much apart from some cars which I've put up for sale.

So one car which was obviously missing from my collection was an on road vehicle, I've only ever had off road.

I thought I'd get started on a XXX-S, with some choice upgrades. All graphite naturally, SS screws, titanium turnbuckles and probably titanium ballstuds.

Some of the parts haul inc a brand new graphite chassis and some Alu arms etc:

Havin never built an on road Losi before - I'm going to take this one slow. As the chassis is also new I'm tapping each hole before the screw goes in. First night of the build done:

Next up is steering.

Anyone got any tips for this build, or any cool upgrade ideas? Also I am in need of a new belt what do you guys use?

Stay tuned!

jamin
Approved Member

Re: New build - XXX-S Graphite

Post by jamin »

Nice haul of parts and should prove an interesting build - I don't recall seeing a XXX-S graphite build on here so this will be refreshing to watch your progress.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Awesome! I too have been wanting to see a XXX-S build. Will be following along for sure. Great looking start!

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Little bit more progress on this XXX-S G - so for the front end I'm going to use all titanium ball-studs, and ti nitride hinge pins. I love the gold of the ti nitride!

I think I may have enough titanium ballstuds!

Hinge pins:

But steering first, I'm using the blue anodised steering link and dynamite bearings:

Looks good built:

Front arms, ti nitride hinge pins and steering now installed, everything is graphite:

Servo mounts now on:

Next is front shock tower then cvds and hubs.

I'm currently thinking about bodyshell, I'm not going to go original Losi on this one. I'm thinking of doing a replica of my 1:1 as an option, the body I found is 200mm whilst the XXX-S is 190mm I believe. Prob could run different offset wheels to sort that but I will keep looking.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Looking great. The Ti hinge pins are a small detail, but really set off a car in my opinion. It takes a build to that next level. The Ti ball studs are very sweet as well.

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

thanks Lavigna - btw I did sent you a private message with my details but I'm not sure it went through (it's sitting in my outbox for some reason?).

I spent a bit more time on the XXX-S, front shock tower went on next. Oddly the XXX-S asks for a 0.2" ball stud for the front tower (not the normal 0.188 or 3/16 short ball stud used in most 2wd builds).

Not to worry, I have that covered in Titanium from our Lunsford friends:

Moving on to the CVDs, I thought I would do something a bit different. I have sets of steel CVDs, and started to rub down the standard black coating with some 1500 wet and dry. Under the coating on the dogbone shaft were distinctive circular machining marks from manufacture, and I thought it was kinda cool. Instead of rubbing them down to a mirror finish, or going for something else, I thought I would go for a bare metal look with the machine marks on display. So I took some more of the black coating off the ends of the dogbone, and polished them up with some Megs auto metal polish. There are a few areas that were smooth metal and they have polished up to a shine, but I like the overall effect. It’s like hard wood floors, don’t cover them up - show em off!!!

One done compared to stock below, you can just make out the machining marks on the shaft of the dogbone:

Both done now, better angle that shows off the machined rings especially at the base of the dogbone:

I will finish all the CVDs like this, that’s all I had time for this weekend.

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Spent some more time on this build last week and over the weekend.

Will let the pictures do most of the talking:

Building up the front hub carrier, need to find some aluminium front spindles –

New parts!

Both sides of the front end completed and installed:

RPM rod ends and Titanium turnbuckles on:

Foam things also on:

Time to work on the rear CVDs and diff. I built the front diff with the XXX-S outdrives, which aren’t metal. The front is currently built with a front spool, but I will build a front diff with metal (XX) outdrives as per the rear below. I’ve finished the outdrive as per the CVDs so you can see the grain of the metal - same as the front, I am liking this finish! Used some polish with sealant to stop corrosion:

Rear now built up as per the front with TI Nitride hinge pins, few more blue alu bits also on:

Found a red dynamite front bumper, front built up further:

Titanium screws used for the motor mount screws:

I’ve done a bit more, but need to wait for some more parts before going further on the chassis.

Next up need to build the shocks, all threaded, brand new, and Ti Nitride shafts of course! Stay tuned.

Lavigna

Re: New build - XXX-S Graphite - updated 13/06

Post by Lavigna »

Really nice so far. Keep us updated and the pictures coming.

rhyde
Approved Member

Post by rhyde »

yeh looking awesome mate
keep it up

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

this is one build thread that had escaped me ;)

I have mixed emotions about the alloy arms, and even more about the alloy body posts. For bling, yes (although it looks a bit traxxas-ish). For running, don't even think about it :mrgreen:

But refreshingly unusual project no matter what!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.