CAT XL

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Neils74
Approved Member

Re: CAT XL

Post by Neils74 »

Jay Dub wrote:The white spur gear is 48p replacement for the original 32p gear included with the XLS cars. The spur gears you have with no holes are for a later version of the car (procat) with a simplified transmission. The white gear uses the balls as shown, and is part of the differential and drive assembly. The black gears are part of a 1 piece layshaft assembly with a different style bottom diff. Functionally they are not interchangeable. However you should be able to source anough parts to run it either way. -Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

Now on the look out for a black 32p gear with balls, as the white one I have is beveled on one side.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Neil that white 48dp spur is something rarely seen IMO. I have 32dp spurs (some new and some used), when you have BST access i am happy to talk further. It's best not to circumvent the rules here but once you are in there will be no issues :mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Jay Dub wrote:The white spur gear is 48p replacement for the original 32p gear included with the XLS cars. The spur gears you have with no holes are for a later version of the car (procat) with a simplified transmission. The white gear uses the balls as shown, and is part of the differential and drive assembly. The black gears are part of a 1 piece layshaft assembly with a different style bottom diff. Functionally they are not interchangeable. However you should be able to source anough parts to run it either way. -Jeff
Neils74 - I'm really liking your approach to this rare old beast - rebuilding & running these old cars is far more satisfying than building a car & parking it on a shelf (although the latter is what normally happens to my cars despite plans otherwise :roll: )

I'm really interested to hear about this alternative diff arangement - so the early CATs ran a similar arrangement to a 6 gear RC10? with the diff built into the spur? .... I always thought the diff occured in the bottom pulley on all CAT (& all subsquent Schumacher cars thereafter)!

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

On my XLS, the differential is on the topshaft, but it´s built in between the two belt pulleys.
The balls in the spur is for slipper purpose I´d say.
Then there is a third set of balls on the rear out-drives whish they call the integrator.
Gone fishing

Groomi
Approved Member

Post by Groomi »

Anybody got a diagram or photos they could share of this arrangement? Never seen one before and it sounds intriguing.
Using my son as an excuse to relieve my youth. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/MuzzoomModels

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Here's a quick pic i took of my spare XL diff and drum. The topshaft is the diff, although there's no spur fitted to it at the moment.

Paul.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Here´s a picture of Paul´s diff from the manual :-)
Attachments
XLS DIFF 003.JPG
XLS DIFF 002.JPG
Gone fishing

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

Here are two excerpts from my instruction manual. I will happily scan the whole thing if anyone needs it. Im not sure if it is any different from others, but if you need it, let me know and I can do a pdf.
Attachments
Instructions 1.jpg
Instructions 2.jpg

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

ebay uk is the best place to find spare's neil. get a a list of part number's and become familiar with the header card colours and you will find parts more easily 8) nice buggy, enjoy! :D

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

The original CATS have their differential on the spur gear very much like the RC10 but uses belts as opposed to idler gears to connect the drive to the 'Drum'. The 'Drum' or integrator looks very much like a differential but its purpose was to control the drive split to the front end. This drive train was very complicated to understand and was an absolute pig to set up as the belts had to be tensioned correctly. The likes of SRM, Wasp and Trinity brought out alternate versions with solid top shafts and differential 'drums' to make for a more conventional drivetrain. Hope this helps :D

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

[quote="uzzi"]This drive train was very complicated to understand and was an absolute pig to set up as the belts had to be tensioned correctly.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I am going to try and keep it completely original and keep this set up

I'm really glad that other CAT and non cat owners are so helpful! It's really cool

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

As for the screws used on the CAT, I found the best place to get replacements were in the rc plane section of the LHS. If you are looking for 48dp spur gears I believe Robinson make some direct replacement.

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

uzzi wrote:As for the screws used on the CAT, I found the best place to get replacements were in the rc plane section of the LHS. If you are looking for 48dp spur gears I believe Robinson make some direct replacement.
Excuse my ignorance, but LHS ? I'm guessing its Local Hobby Shop? If it is, my Local hobby shop ( there is only two in NY) stock only Traxxas and everything is either purple or black.
Growing up, i was lucky to have Radio Active Models in Essex. They had everything. Now its all just RTR cars from one country.

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

Getting a little bored of cleaning with a q-tip, but progress is being made. A replacement Chassis kit from Terry at DT racing is winging its way over from the motherland.
Attachments
Clean 1.jpg
Clean 2.jpg

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Good job on the clean up and yes by LHS I mean local hobby store. The problem with modern self tappers screws are they use a Phillips style head as oppose to the ones used on the old CATS.