need cat 3000 diff info

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rccars4sal
Approved Member

need cat 3000 diff info

Post by rccars4sal »

So, Im taking apart my cat 3k to repro the parts, and it looks like the diffs are pretty scratchy. Ive got the diffs apart, and it looks like there arent any thrust balls or any kind of thrust assembly. Is that correct? Just loosening the diffs made them much smoother, and didnt seem to introduce any slip. I like to rebuild them though. Any thoughts on what makes a good setup for these? Stock bronze bushings in side. I might have the correct size bearings somewhere.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: need cat 3000 diff info

Post by Incredible_Serious »

rccars4sal wrote:So, Im taking apart my cat 3k to repro the parts, and it looks like the diffs are pretty scratchy. Ive got the diffs apart, and it looks like there arent any thrust balls or any kind of thrust assembly. Is that correct? Just loosening the diffs made them much smoother, and didnt seem to introduce any slip. I like to rebuild them though. Any thoughts on what makes a good setup for these? Stock bronze bushings in side. I might have the correct size bearings somewhere.
The Cat 3000 is definitely meant to have a thrust race and disc springs inside... I have the manual in .pdf, if you need it.... just PM me an e-mail address, and I'll send it along.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Thanks very much for the pdf. Yup, my diffs were built with no thrust assemblies, or cone washers. I bought this car a while back, and just let it sit. Now recently, Im drafting up the parts to repro in carbon fiber and or g-10, so the whole car got torn apart, and Im able to see the true condition of it. Still in really good shape. The car was very clean and looked almost new. Its actually used, but in excellent shape. Its a very efficient drive train, must have been very fast.

autoxvw
Approved Member

Post by autoxvw »

Your going to start making repro parts for the 3000? Nice. Are you gong to make the short front shock mounts out of. Admin as well? The 3000 came in 2 configurations. Short front and medium rear shocks and towers and then medium front long rear shocks and towers.

autoxvw
Approved Member

Post by autoxvw »

Your going to start making repro parts for the 3000? Nice. Are you gong to make the short front shock mounts out of. Admin as well? The 3000 came in 2 configurations. Short front and medium rear shocks and towers and then medium front long rear shocks and towers.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I dont understand the questions. Yes, Im going to be making cat3k repro parts. not sure which version I have. Seems to have long shocks in back. Ive only ever seen mine, and its not in hand right now. i sold it to a guy and he opted to return it,, not here yet,, should be a couple days.

Its been a fairly difficult process designing the chassis and top decks. The diff housings are crooked, and so is the center bulk head. They are only off by about .5mm for the diff housings, and so it seemed like a manufacturing tolerance error,, but no,, they are purposely skewed to facilitate belt alignment.

Anyway,, As most of my parts, they will be available in g-10 as well as carbon fiber. I dont forsee much of a market for cat 3k parts. the car seems to be very obscure, short lived, very rare. Or, possibly they are just not hot for collectors yet? I never see any cat 2k cars either.

Its a fairly simple and robust design. About the only thing I dont like is the rear uj axles will rub on the lower suspension arm if alot of droop is used. This means that suspension travel is limited. So, I guess its intended as a smooth track car. A fix would be to use rear axle hub that raised the axle about 3mm, or A arms that incorporated a built in droop like other Schumacher and xx4 cars.

Front suspension is also somewhat flat track oriented, but I dont remember why other than the shock mounts are set up that way.