[Upd. at last! July 2016] FWD on FWD, YrfII-SP Civic-bodied

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lonestar
Approved Member

[Upd. at last! July 2016] FWD on FWD, YrfII-SP Civic-bodied

Post by Lonestar »

One of the most innovative cars of the history of RC... canned a few months after its release as the racing rules went another direction from that gambled on by Masami and Masaaki. Makes it even more desirable if you ask me!

I've been at it for a while now, sourcing new parts, refurbishing the chassis, polishing the aluminium parts and so on so forth, but I never took pics before :roll: Here's where I am at now :)

The workbench is a mess :D

taking shape - frog? rabbit? grasshopper? Your call :)

I'll try to post more pics as I go.

Question - this is the first time in ages I do an old-school yoke diff with that crappy split washer and crappy bent screw... is there some kind of aftermarket parts that fit? I'm thinking a proper diff spring for instance. The range of adjustment is ridiculously tight on the current setup due to the quasi-absence of "spring" action... thanks!
Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

GJW
Approved Member

Re: Current Yokie Project :)

Post by GJW »

not easy to find are they paul! so your going to drive this i take it?? how long were they made for any idea? looks unreal cant wait for the finished product :wink:

those rear hub carriers look familiar :)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

marui hunter 73 wrote:not easy to find are they paul! so your going to drive this i take it?? how long were they made for any idea? looks unreal cant wait for the finished product :wink:

those rear hub carriers look familiar :)
Yes I will drive this one gently on indoor carpet tracks, once in a while (read - 4 laps / year at most :D )!

Not sure how long they were made for, I'd say less than a year before Yokomo fully focused on the YR4 and its evolutions as the TC category rules were finalized and mentionned 4wd only :roll:

It's pretty sought after these days... I also have a NiB that I bought last millenium for a ridiculous $90 from the infamous Jason... He had a pile of kits for sale back then, I should have picked up a few more :lol: It's funny how it's the oddball cars that pick up value as the years go...

Anyways - will keep you updated with the build. I feel pretty priviledged to have a chance to work on this one to be honest :)

Paul

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

you can use belleville washers, and a standard screw with locktite, OR...if the diff hub is threaded all the way through, add another 2mm screw in the threaded side to jam lock the adjusting screw.....does that make sense? you adjust the diff with the diff screw, then tighten the 'jam screw' on the other side.

a belleville washer from somewhere like mcmaster-carr would be the ticket...like this one....you can stack them to get the desired 'feel'
Attachments
9712K510L.GIF

paNX2K&SE-R

Post by paNX2K&SE-R »

Cool project, I've never seen one of these before.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

jwscab wrote:you can use belleville washers, and a standard screw with locktite, OR...if the diff hub is threaded all the way through, add another 2mm screw in the threaded side to jam lock the adjusting screw.....does that make sense? you adjust the diff with the diff screw, then tighten the 'jam screw' on the other side.

a belleville washer from somewhere like mcmaster-carr would be the ticket...like this one....you can stack them to get the desired 'feel'
Thanks - yes, I was thinking belleville washers too, they are very hard to find in the small diameters though, usually they're sold in bulk for industrial purposes, whereas I'd just need a few. Shame that McMC doesn't ship overseas, there's so much stuff I'd buy from them :lol: I've already started looking for small-qty belleville washers...

In the meantime, does anyone know of a 6mm outer-diameter diff spring? That's how small the diff outdrives are the yrf2... :shock:

thank you!

Paul

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

maybe this one? 7mm long though, probably too much for the assembly.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXM491&P=7

how soon are you gonna be building this? I might be picking up some belleville washers for some yoke builds, but probably not till next week, I have an order I'm building with mcmaster....if you can wait, I can send you some.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

jwscab wrote:maybe this one? 7mm long though, probably too much for the assembly.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXM491&P=7

how soon are you gonna be building this? I might be picking up some belleville washers for some yoke builds, but probably not till next week, I have an order I'm building with mcmaster....if you can wait, I can send you some.
Hi there

I think this one would be a tad long indeed and probably hit the dogbone... however that's the "stock" hpi/HB diff thrust spring from the old diff, and I might be able to get one locally indeed as it's a car that was hugely popular in our area! I feel stupid for not thinking about it myself, as I was running the HB cyclone up until last year :oops:

I'd love to repurchase a few belleville washers from you, really... that'd be very nice of you. No hurry at all, I can always fit them on later, really :) Let me try to get back to you with dimensions after this weekend :) Thanks a lot in advance!

Paul

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, that's no problem.....mcmcaster sells 'em in packs of 12, and I can send you 2 in an envelope for nothing....I'll let you know when I get 'em and you can pm me your address....I'm thinking 2 back to back will give you what you need. like this 'top thrust washer' '<' '>' 'thrust bolt

actually...you have a trx-1/3 right? check the diff thrust springs from that, they might fit! they are bellevilles.....

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

jwscab wrote:yeah, that's no problem.....mcmcaster sells 'em in packs of 12, and I can send you 2 in an envelope for nothing....I'll let you know when I get 'em and you can pm me your address....I'm thinking 2 back to back will give you what you need. like this 'top thrust washer' '<' '>' 'thrust bolt

actually...you have a trx-1/3 right? check the diff thrust springs from that, they might fit! they are bellevilles.....
I think the TRX are too big, but I'll check again. 6mm is tiny. The losi ones I have don't fit, and my xray T3's are small and already 8mm...

thanks for the offer :) the trick in picking belleville washers is to figure out which "tension" one you need... coming both from different materials, thickness, and deflection angles. Wilco.

thanks a lot,

Paul

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yep, mcmaster offers 2 tensions, 7lb and 15lb. with the stupid lockwasher the only tension set on those diffs from the factory, I'm betting that using 2 7lb springs will do the trick. if not, they can be stacked.

once I get them, I'm going to rebuild a diff and see how it feels with just 2 7lbs. if that isn't enough, I'll double them up and try them. if that works, I'll pick up the 15lb ones and use those in the future.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Here's where I am... I don't progress as quick as I'd like but I was racing twice the past couple of weekends so the YrII had to be depriorized ;) Chassis is done, I already started dropping period electronics in it.... more pics to come in forthcoming days I hope :)

Joe was kind enough to send some belleville washers, thanks Joe! Haven't had time to install them yet. I'm sure they'll be great!

Paul

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Et voila with period electronics... still in need of a period body, suggestions welcome! I was told Masami was running an RX-7 shell on his. The diff feels much better with the belleville washers, but is still very finnicky to adjust, the bent M2 screw is really really not mechanically right.

The radio behind this is my old personal EX5 from back in the days... and it's so dirty I didn't date take any pics of it... yet!

Maiden run is planned early feb during the free practice of a carpet on-road race.

enjoy the pics till then :)

Paul

N

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

A bit of thread digging, but for a good cause... I had parked this project for, litterally, years, as you can see. It had seated on the shelf un-bodied, until I realized, also years ago that I had a wonderful EH3 Civic body. It might be the other way around, I might have bought that almighty FWD body just for my almighty FWD yokomo. I believe this body was sold to me by Bernard Guidonnet - the name will ring a bell to French-speaking readers from Western Europe. Bernard had done a great job on the Apple scheme, with a few AutoRCM stickies to boot, too! Anyways, the body posts had been cut a tad too small by the previous owner (remember the Si is a hatchback...), so I had to park it for another while again. Then I sourced some (HPI) body posts. Then it was parked...

... then a few days ago I signed up for the Build Of The Month contest, and I thought this was the perfect motivator to wake up the sleeping beauty.

So, here we go - completed, at last! Another box ticked, on to the rest of the backlog ;)

Remember we started with this (and you should have seen the underneath of the chassis...)

And we end up with this :mrgreen:

(apologies for the crappy iphone4 pics, couldn't locate an SD card for my D60...)

Paul

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: [Upd. at last! July 2016] FWD on FWD, YrfII-SP Civic-bod

Post by klavy69 »

I Do like this...I've been wanting a FWD and just haven't had the luck to land one yet. Like the backstory behind it too. Once again Paul it looks great.

Todd 8)
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!