Alex B
Approved Member

Re: Repro belts

Post by Alex B »

seasaw75 wrote:I've just counted

ZC 651 870c and works front belt 169 tooth

ZC 652 later YZ10 and Pavidis front belt 170 tooth

ZC 656 all models is 64 tooth

I've have found a supplier that seems to offer a 65 tooth and 170 and 167, but not a 64 or 170
I ordered the above belts from the U.K supplier I found. The 170 belt i have fitted to my works 93 and it is a tad too long, but the right size for a YZ 10 the rear belt was okay, though I had to run the rear bulkhead in the farthest back position. I haven't tried to rear belt on the YZ 10, although I suspect it will be too long as there is no rear belt adjustment.

I will make enquirers with the supplier to see if I can get the right length belts if anyone is interested. The belts would come in at around £5 each posted.
:shock:

OldSkoolRC
Approved Member

Post by OldSkoolRC »

Alex B wrote:
seasaw75 wrote:I've just counted

I've have found a supplier that seems to offer a 65 tooth and 170 and 167, but not a 64 or 170
I ordered the above belts from the U.K supplier I found. The 170 belt i have fitted to my works 93 and it is a tad too long, but the right size for a YZ 10 the rear belt was okay, though I had to run the rear bulkhead in the farthest back position. I haven't tried to rear belt on the YZ 10, although I suspect it will be too long as there is no rear belt adjustment.

I will make enquirers with the supplier to see if I can get the right length belts if anyone is interested. The belts would come in at around £5 each posted.

Let me know if you have a source for a yz10/870c rear belt, it will be greatly appreciated!
Yokomo 870C, YZ-10, RPM YZ-10, Hot Dog, YR-4 M2, '91 Custom Carbon YZ-10, MR4-BX and some RC10's

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

They never got back to me.

you can find them here http://toughracing.com/
:shock:

OldSkoolRC
Approved Member

Post by OldSkoolRC »

[img][img][/img][/img]
Alex B wrote:They never got back to me.

you can find them here http://toughracing.com/

Killer thanks Alex!
Yokomo 870C, YZ-10, RPM YZ-10, Hot Dog, YR-4 M2, '91 Custom Carbon YZ-10, MR4-BX and some RC10's

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

Alex B wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:05 pm I've just counted

Unfortunately, the count above for the Yokomo ZC-651 front belt for the 870C / YZ-10 is wrong! The ZC-651 belt has 168 teeth.

I am positive because I just got a new, old stock ZC-651 and counted the teeth. Also I have both 167 and 169 tooth belts and can report the same results others have discovered. The 167 belt is too tight, totally unusable in my opinion, and the 169 belt is too loose, making it difficult to tension sufficiently without both sides of the belt touching.

I think it is important to correct this mistake, which is sitting here on the Internet sounding very authoritative.

I bought some Tough Racing repro belts, which appear to be very nice, but they were also under the impression (perhaps from this post?) that ZC-651 is 169 teeth. They have been very responsive and helpful in resolving the issue, but it is currently unclear if they can make a 168 tooth belt.

Brian

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

Thank you, this is awesome. This belt is 4mm wide, though. Will that work?

I actually did a fair amount of Internet searching myself to locate a suitable timing belt, and I was amazed that I could not find an exact match among the huge variety of belts out there!

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

tamiyadan wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:53 am trick from the old days. soak the belt in WD-40 for a few hours. this softens the rubber, then run it on the car. it tends to lossen up. even with a belt slightly too small it can help. this is something we used to do on new belts. it used to help with belt skip also since the belt would hold the pulley shape better... however over a few days the belts would re-harden requiring another soak in WD-40, this came over from Slotcar tech where we would soak foam tires and rubber tires in Wd-40 to soften them for more grip, similar to tire doping.

once the belt stretched it stays stretched, but the rubber would re-harden slightly.

worth a shot
Thank you for this idea. I wonder if there is an alternative to WD-40, though. Even though it's very popular, I'm personally not a fan of making my model reek of it. Also I wonder if it might degrade the plastic pulleys?

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

tamiyadan wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:08 pm well some people would soak in worse chemicals , like turpentine gum, acetone, or various thinners, the WD-40 was the safer option.

the gears in most rc is a kind of nylon so you should be ok.
when the belts come out you take a cloth and dry them so you don't run them super wet with WD-40 flying all over.

one person used to super heat the belts with a heatgun or put them in the oven then pull them to stretch them out a little before they cooled.

oh i remember one guy boiled the belts also, same idea, heat them and pull them out before they cooled. wear gloves.
These are all great suggestions, thank you. I think I might try the heat option if needed. I would of course greatly prefer to just find the right size belt... At less than $5 each, they are not really expensive enough to justify all of that work and possibly janking up the YZ.

It's such a beautiful work of engineering and design, and I have sunk such a ridiculous amount of time and effort into it, that I feel compelled to use correct parts.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I think the 4mm belts will fit.

If not, I suppose you can get a 6mm wide belt and split it in half.

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

rcnj
Approved Member

Post by rcnj »

aip47-2008 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm Why not just by the Yokomo belt?? :?

http://www.end-of-line-rc.com/kevlar-front-drive-belt-?search=zc
Thank you. It's actually great that there is still stock around, and in fact I just bought a genuine belt myself on eBay (interestingly, it was also from the UK) to count the teeth.

But like all of these original parts, availability can go away at any time. Also for running the car, instead of just shelf display, modern belts might be better.

The Tough Racing belts, for example, seem to be nicer than the original Yokomo belts, they're just the wrong size. They resemble modern Yokomo belts.

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

Ask them. :o